1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Where to go for the best piece of beef in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by TehRed, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehRed

TehRed Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps a simple question in theory, so here goes - where does everyone think is the best place to get the best quality lump of beef in Vegas?

I'm not looking for some super fancy fine dining experience really, just a steak of the best possible quality, no frills.

I'm not quite financially flush enough for the riserva steaks at Carnevino, but anything else Kobe or Wagyu etc is fair game.

2. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wagyu at SW in the Wynn. Was the first place state side to carry true Wagyu beef and still the best doing it, IMO.

3. Nauriel

Nauriel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CraftSteak at MGM Grand. I've always been blown away by the quality and value.

Domestic Wagyu Skirt Steak - 14oz. of heaven for $82.

Or go full Japanese A5 graded for $260 for 8oz.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a steak snob but I had a very tasty fillet at Bob Taylor's Ranch House, which is waaaaayyyyyy out in never-never land but worth the trip. Another one I was impressed with was Golden Steer, but not cheap! :)

If you're into Prime Rib, Jerry's Nugget has great prime rib and sides in a tres downscale atmosphere.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WTF is a "steak snob"??? (Where's the head-scratch emoji?)

To the OP, this is a bit like about asking what's the best sexual position or wine or European sports car -- your mileage WILL vary. What cut do you like? Preparation? Type of moo?

6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much does the whole cow cost? Damn, that animal must shit ice cream (strawberry probably). :poke:

I think the best place to get high quality beef is at a high end butcher shop. You'll pay premium prices but at least it won't be marked up 1000%.

7. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW Steakhouse at the Wynn is the only place that serves true Kobe beef from Kobe, Japan. Almost every place in the U.S. that says it serves Kobe beef is lying. I had Kobe beef at SW Steakhouse not too long ago, and boy is it good.

8. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is probably an exaggeration, but it's not terribly hard to verify if the restaurant you're at is serving you the real deal...if they are, they'll proudly show you a certificate. http://www.kobe-niku.jp/en/contents/exported/index.php clearly shows that the usa AS A COUNTRY has only received about 200kg of kobe beef this month.

Not to derail the thread even further, but also keep in mind that the "kobe" brand is not the consensus "best beef" in Japan. ..but it is the only one regularly exported out of the country--they keep the best for themselves.

But sadly yes...actually it's not an exaggeration at all to say most places that say they serve kobe are lying. Some of them don't know there's a difference between "kobe" and "wagyu style" or "beef from Japan" and so they just list it as kobe. ..but i don't doubt that many are actively misleading their diners, assuming (probably correctly) that they don't really understand what kobe beef is

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  9. Kevke

Kevke Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh man , i dont know if its the most expencive or best beef there is , but damm at stripsteak ( Mandalay Bay ) i had such good beef ! :nworthy:

10. Godolphin

Godolphin Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Echo and Rig is great but off the strip.
    The steakhouse at circus circus is very good and old school.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A very long drive from the Strip, but I agree a tasty steak.

For dry aged beef and under $60 for a complete meal, it's hard to argue that The Steak House inside Circus is not the best value. Aged beef on the premises for all to see as you walk in.

12. TehRed

TehRed Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not all that important to me really, in this particular case i'm just searching for the best possible quality piece of beef.

Hmm, that's an interesting point to note. I have seen a few places offering kobe/wagyu. Can I ask how you know that SW is serving the legit stuff?

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taylor's is a bit of a haul, indeed, but on a sensory level it's nothing like back in the day when it was OUT there, like on the edge of the frontier. Then Vegas ate it.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, good luck.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the OP can't afford a riserva steak, I don't think they can afford Wagyu at SW.

17. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bazaar Meat by José Andrés at SLS is outstanding.

Bill

18. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smith & Wollensky on strip..good grain fed beef

19. TehRed

TehRed Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fair point. Might be i'll have to "settle" for some of the domestic wagyu or something then. Still, i'm sure it's better than anything I could get where i'm from.

20. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    abraxis makes some excellent points. SW isn't the only restaurant in town serving true Kobe, but they're few and far between, and the Kobe supply changes quickly. When I was there last, Bazaar Meat offered true Kobe, with the certificates proudly displayed. Once in a while, one of the off-Strip Japanese restaurants also offers Kobe. Wynn's SW was a latecomer to the wagyu trade, but was the first in Las Vegas to be able to certify that if offered true Kobe.

As abraxis said, there are many Kobe competitors in Japan, each offering their own version of wagyu. Some have been offered regularly in Las Vegas for many years (with the exception of the time during the hoof and mouth scare in Japan), e.g.: Kagoshima, Ohmi, Saga. There are also U.S. versions labeled "wagyu", but the only ones I've tried have turned out to be wagyu-Angus hybrids, and not in the same class as the top grade of true wagyu.

To further muddy the waters, Kobe (like the other prefectures) offers different grades of wagyu: quality grades 4 and 5, with marbling scores from 6 through 12. Sooooooo...saying "Kobe" means something, but is no guarantee of top quality.

I've had Kobe once (at SW), and Japanese wagyu many times. My personal favorite steak was from Kagoshima prefecture, at CUT, but that may have had to do as much with preparation as beef quality. My overall favorite was a small morsel at the late, lamented Restaurant Charlie. I enjoyed wagyu cheeks at Bazaar Meat, and would bet they do an excellent job on steaks as well.

Have said all that, top quality wagyu will set you back as much as Carnevino's Riserva steaks -- and both of them could end up disappointing you. I thought the Riserva steak was very interesting but -- call me a peasant -- I still prefer steaks aged less than eight months. In the case of Kobe/wagyu, while my favorite steaks have all been wagyu, a good case can be made that top grades are really too fatty to be properly enjoyed as a steak. You can get a really good steak for a lot less money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.