1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

LOVE is dark for 3 weeks. Any update on changes?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by nostresshere, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any update since LOVE went dark to make some show changes?

EDIT - 10th Anniversary Show is July 14, 2016 - see post #21

Cirq LOVE has been dark most of the month. I believe that are making some changes.

Anyone have any information on what is happening. We are scheduled to be there near the end of the month.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are adding some new things for their 10th anniversary year. There's suppose to be a big "red carpet" event sometime this summer, they're trying to get Paul and Ringo to attend.

3. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. Mario's Backroom

Mario's Backroom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting this....I've seen LOVE three times and loved every minute of it. I'm tempted to try to get a ticket this weekend....

5. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Given that Cirque hasn't been all that great for the past few years, I'm really scared.

Love is my favorite Cirque show and with the utter failure of BeLIEve, Viva Elvis and Zarkana, please don't screw with my favorite show.

7. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    edit - threads combined.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  8. Mikey07

Mikey07 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think there's a decent chance we'll be there when the 10th Anniversary show takes place. Do they sell tickets to normal punters or will it be hangers on and big spenders only?

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first show was on June 30, 2006. The article linked above says they are in a “refreshing” period that should carry through July, So maybe the event where they hope to have Ringo and Paul won't be until after that? I'll be in town the last week in June and we have a group of 10 actually going to see it on 6/27. I would imagine if they do one with Paul and Ringo in the audience the tix would not be available to regular people. :)

10. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking forward to seeing this on April 1st, of all dates! It will be our first and like only Cirque show.

11. adam320

adam320 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone seen it recently to compare it to the old version?

12. Patti_H

Patti_H Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was wondering the same thing. I have seen it before and was considering seeing it again in April, so hoping its not a disappointment.

13. jcombs

jcombs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw it last week, but haven't seen the old version for comparison. FWIW, I thought it was pretty awesome.

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The early word is that the new version is very very good. They will continue to make some "tweaks" over the next several weeks.

15. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to hear. Look forward to seeing it!

16. troyzilla

troyzilla Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw Love for the 8th time last week (I know - but I do love it - no pun intended).

The main changes are - (obviously spoilers ahead...)

Extended noise/sounds/dialogue prior to 'Because'

The older lady playing 'Eleanor Rigby' is completely gone. The character seems MIA until the end where it is suggested a younger performer is Eleanor Rigby.

Some new video footage throughout the entire show ('Glass Onion' has blue meanies from ''Yellow Submarine' as bombs on the screens) etc.

'I Am The Walrus' is replaced by 'Twist And Shout' - it begins with the Sth African guy who does the gumboot dance later in the show running out with a vinyl Beatles record and then is basically just a dance number. Nothing that earth shattering.

'I Want To Hold Your Hand/Drive My Car etc' has different video footage - not just the record/magazine covers.

The projection scene with the four Beatles trying to cross Abbey Road has a bunch of new projected animation and some of the cast is involved.

During 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite' the guy who spins above the show on a board no longer has a board. He has boots strapped to a bar and does 360 spins that way.

'Lady Madonna' has new floor projections of flowers/blobs etc that the dancer dance on - very well choreographed but not that much of an improvement.

'Revolution' no longer has the British red phone box - they run and jump over an old hippy combi van.

'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' no longer has the puppets made of letters that hung from the roof and the dancer danced around. Now they use the sheer screens and have a bunch of symbols and lines projected that move around with the music. Way less effective and frankly unnecesary.

At the end of 'A Day In The Life' there is a longer pause with the young 'John Lennon' character just watching his 'mother' lying dead after being hit by a car. The whole theater was dead quiet during this scene. Very moving.

Apart from that the changes were just new video footage, some new lighting effects and it seemed a bit more gymnastics was added here and there.

Frankly I preferred it prior to the changes but understand that some upgrades were necesary. A lot seems quite superfluous though.

The store staff said they would have a new program/tour book printed soon and there is talk of a 10th anniversary CD that will have a DVD doco (not the 'All Together Now' doco) and 'Twist And Shout' added along with remastering. No dates for these though.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Patti_H

Patti_H Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks troyzilla for taking the time to write the detailed review. I think I will see it again.

18. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes good review. Supposedly they are phasing in some of the changes. So if you see it again in 2-3 months there should be more changes than there were last week.

19. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We also saw it last week - LOVE has always been my favorite (have also seen it 8 times plus the revised) - and still is.

Troyzilla points out so well the obvious and even more subtle changes - I did hear additional tweaking will continue for the next couple of months especially the acrobatics.

I wish they had kept Walrus, but Twist and Shout is energetic.
    I like the added graphics and frequent scenes of individual Beatles which drew me back to those Beatlemania days.
    I really miss the four guys manipulating what I call the ' marionette dancing boots' to Lady Madonna - bring that back, please!
    I appreciate that they kept the mesmerizing teapot guy interacting with the audience during the pre show - it's fun to watch.
    I think the added floor projections and dance choreography (Lady Madonna I think) were very effective and well done.
    Having seen it so many times close up, I did notice a few new cast faces, but all very talented and showed lots of enthusiasm.
    So for me, it's still Love with some changes - still my favorite and I will see it again!

20. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update. Disappointed they took out the puppets from While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I will have to pick up the DVD with All Together Now documentary, especially since we just lost Sir George Martin. I really like the interviews and discussion on him and his son collaborated on remixing the original master tapes for LOVE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.