1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NYNY - credit card refund

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by boofmichael, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boofmichael

boofmichael Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all, bit of a random question here.

We stayed at NYNY in October and when we got back to the UK I noticed they'd refunded my credit card for the cost of the hotel stay (we'd paid up front). I assumed that it was a mistake, but then again I had done a lot of gambling so I thought maybe it was a comp (I think I was kidding myself lol). Anyway, I decided that since it was their mistake I wasn't going to go out of my way to point this out to them...why should I?!

Anyway, I never heard anything and fast forward 5 months and suddenly they've recharged my credit card. I've not had any communication from them, but it seems like they realised they made a mistake and have now corrected it, albeit quite a while later.

I have two specific queries:

1. Are there policies over how long they have before they can re-charge a credit card that was previously refunded? 5 months seems like quite a long time!
    2. Would it be worthwhile me contacting them and pointing out the significant amount of time it took and the lack of communication (i.e. even a courtesy email to warn me I'd be getting another credit card charge) and just generally kick up a stink with a view to getting some future comps due to the "distress" this cause me?

Any other advice would be appreciated :thumbsup:

2. AbFab

AbFab Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same thing happened to me last week with MGM. They shouldve send you an email giving you a heads up as I received one. Furthermore, I wouldn't contact them, because it's a balance due and there's no expiration on that.

3. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't see a problem with complaining but you shouldn't expect a comp or refund in return. It's poor and irresponsible customer service and it deserves to be pointed out. And whether you did owe them or not, you are paid up now and never intended to stiff them. If there is a time frame for charging again, that's a question for your credit card company. There is a chance that their authorization is expired. However, if the charge was rejected, you would still owe them money.

4. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is minor but did you make or lose money on the initial credit, as in exchange rate? (I'm assuming UK dollars). I'm Canadian and one thing that happens is if my host doesn't catch any room charges I've incurred, and it's checkout day, charges go on my visa. Then when my host gets in at her 4pm shift, she reverses any charges, but the credit exchange rate is always less than the initial charges so I lose money. Small peanuts, but it still bugs me. 5 months is a long time to correct an error. That could be a considerable amount in new exchange rate charges considering my dollar has gone wild in the last 6 months.

5. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trying not to sound too self-righteous, I think you should have called them right away when you noticed the unexpected refund and sorted it out. You kind of tried to get away with something, it didn't work out, and at this point you should just smile and let it go. It would definitely have been better on their part to communicate before recharging you, but at the end of the day no injustice was done.

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't bother, but if you want to take a shot, you should play dumb like you never noticed the original credit, you only noticed the recent debit. If you talk to a front line employee, they'll have to hand it off to someone to start the rigamarole of investigating it and getting back to you. You'll probably just end up with an apology anyway, it's not 2009, they're not giving out comps for hair in the sink anymore.

7. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegaskid says it well.

If interest rates were not basically zero, I would say enjoy the benefits of having their cash for five months.

8. boofmichael

boofmichael Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not overly bothered but I wouldn't say "I tried to get away with something" as that makes me sound slightly underhanded. It was their error and therefore it's up to them to identify and correct it, which they duly have done. Why should I waste my time trying to fix their error was my attitude.

FWIW, the dollar has strengthened in recent months and I've lost £24 (roughly $40) due to their error.

9. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fair play boof; I didn't think about exchange rates.

It wouldn't cost you anything to explain the forex situation and your disappointment at being worse off due to their disorganisation. It may or may not result in a comp or refund but the cost of the email is zero.

10. boofmichael

boofmichael Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think I'll do that. Cheers!

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would definitely call them and ask why you are being charged. Don't explain that you knew about the missing charge. When they explain the mistake point out the exchange rate. If they still give you a hassle call your credit card company.

12. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry Mrs K, I wouldn't ask the credit card company to deny payment because that's 'just not cricket'.

13. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would for the $40 USD.

14. Uranium 235

Uranium 235 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah but I doubt a credit card company could or would only reverse part of a charge.

15. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being the sneaky guy I am, I would have canceled my card and ordered a new one before they could rebill me lol

16. boofmichael

boofmichael Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've emailed NYNY to ask that they refund me the $40 that their error cost me. I also dropped in a wee note to ask for some goodwill on my next visit to Las Vegas, but I'm not expecting much!

17. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a similar situation a few years back. The exchange difference came to about the same amount as yours. In my case the desk person charged all five nights to my credit card (even though they were comped). I noticed the charges on the TV the night before check out. Going down to the front desk, they handled it quickly and put the credit on my card.

Unfortunately that came with forex differences, since it was not an authorization on the card, but a full charge (so I lost the exchange and bank fees twice on the purchase).

I emailed NYNY about the differences and had a very quick email response from a Senior Rep. They did not offer any money returned, however, offered an upgrade to a Spa Suite for my next stay. It was not exactly what I was hoping for, however, was impressed by the quick response and the handling of my subsequent booking.

18. AbFab

AbFab Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then, I suppose you were willing to never stay at an MGM property again.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.