1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NYC-In and Outs

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by CoachSayre, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoachSayre

CoachSayre Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been and am thinking about going. Any great places to stay that won't break the bank in Sept.? Any sites or restaurants that I have to try. Thanks.

2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I didn't want to answer, negatively --- I haven't specifically looked for lodgings in NYC ---
    Your "bank" might go farther if you hotel, in the suburbs,
    and take the train lines in every day.
    .......Just my thought.
    ( I commute on the NYC metro train lines ).

3. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been twice, and Manhattan is certainly a "get what you pay for" area in regards to hotels. Expect about $200 for a mid-range property. Be VERY wary of anything under $150.

A few years ago on our first vacation in Manhattan, we stayed at a place for $179 (around 6th and Park Av) that had a gorgeous lobby with a waterfall, plush furnishings, business center, etc. and when we got to the room it was the tiniest room ever. The TV was attached to the top corner of a wall because there was no dresser or stand for it. The out-swinging bathroom door brushed against the side of the bed and there was no couch or chair in the room. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and quiet at night. The hotel was nice enough but i couldn't get past how small it was.

I do second Joe's comment that if you want to be frugal, stay out on Long Island (towards Central Islip) and take the Long Island Railroad into the city each day (because we did this on one trip, too). The train takes about an hour to get to Penn Station, but we stayed at a Hampton Inn for about $89 a night. For four nights, the price difference added up to a decent savings.

There are plusses and minuses. When we stayed in Manhattan, we could stop off at the room to drop off "stuff" that had accumulated (and we went during a heat wave so we could easily change clothes, too) whereas staying on Long Island, you took everything with you to Manhattan and carried it around with you all day.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  4. speedfile

speedfile Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are many inexpensive options in Queens and Brooklyn. Don't stay in long island if ur main goal is to visit NYC.....especially on ur first NYC visit...

5. pd54

pd54 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you have to stay in Manhattan on your first trip. It would be like going on your first trip to Las Vegas and not staying on the strip (apologies to downtown fans!).

I've not been to NYC in a few years, but we stayed in the New Yorker when we were last there, it's right by Madison Square Garden. I know Milford Plaza was a popular inexpensive option. It's now called The Row. Not sure the prices for it now.

6. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

There are illegal, cheap, places in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan.
    I just read an article about them --- on line bookings - I don't think
    you actually "speak" to a human while booking.
    So.....if it sounds "too good" - check it out further, if you can.
    ( Building code violations ).

7. speedfile

speedfile Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have hostels in Manhattan as well.

8. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I think I've stayed at every Holiday Inn in NYC -- they're definitely worth looking into if you're trying to save coin. Super clean, consistently good service and free breakfast at the Express hotels. What area will you be in? Most of the properties from midtown down have been recently renovated or updated. The Crowne Plaza in NYC is a decent property but I'd recommend Indigo over that. Do you have any loyalty programs that you're part of? Also, depending on the dates, you can find great rates at the Intercontinental. Also worth checking out the Double Tree or W.

Personally, I'd avoid 3rd party. I've done it four times and the juice isn't worth the squeeze. One time I only saved 2 dollars over what the hotel offered, another time I was stuck in a smoking room that felt like a dungeon at the Raddison (which is supposed to be a nice property) and the other times I've lucked out but only on last minute bookings (landed a room at the W and the Westin for cheap). If you pick the districts right you can really luck out but if it's a busy weekend you get the least priority and are bumped to the worst available room.

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our favorite hotels are the Affinia collection - we've stayed at 3 so far. They're mostly converted apartment buildings so slightly larger than the standard NYC hotel and they have kitchenettes too. They're not in big "tourist" areas, but then, we don't want to be there either :evillaugh We've always been within a couple blocks of a subway station and it's so easy to get around. We try to go every couple of years (I grew up in CT and used to go for day trips all the time growing up - take the bus in etc) Normally we like to explore new neighborhoods, eat, and shop (that's me ;-) Last time we explored Brooklyn - it was our first summer trip in forever, (normally we go in the late autumn because I love the Christmas windows in the stores) and we went to Smorgasburg and ate ourselves silly, then went to the Brooklyn Brewery for a few pints (though the food market had a beer garden too)

10. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work in Manhattan and have lived in Queens most of my life.

Stay in Manhattan. Yes, you can get cheaper options in Queens or Brooklyn. But say it's the weekend and the 7 train goes express by your stop, or isn't running at all. Now you're a commuter on your vacation trying to understand the way to get to your hotel. Say it's late at night and the trains suck, maybe they're slow or not running and you're stuffed and tired and maybe drunk, then the trains really suck. As someone mentioned, you have a bunch of stuff you bought, but your hotel is an hour away, now you have to carry them around all day. You want to get an early start at being a tourist? Welcome to rush hour.

Stay in Manhattan and be a tourist. It's worth the money because it's your time. Unless you love walking through regular neighborhoods and commuting. This isn't Vegas where you're a strip person or a downtown person. The people who stay at Red Rock, play at Red Rock. But you wouldn't stay at Red Rock and go to the strip every day, all day.

11. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

This x100000000 YEEEESSSSS!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.