1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What Credit Cards Are You All Using?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by spdandpwr, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Long story short, I want to start credit card shopping and I am curious to see where others have gone / what are your favorite cards. My current cards are in dire need of replacement -- their benefits are no longer relevant. Ideally, I'd like a versatile card that offers hotel or flight benefits, but want to get opinions first. Since we all like Vegas, I wonder if the Total Rewards card is worth it?

2. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest Rapid rewards. Since I am at a SW Hub, MDW, it works for me. Not versatile at all but it works for me.

3. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chase sapphire

4. k97

k97 Tourist

Southwest. I use it to get free or mostly free flights, this time I had to pay 50 for a 430 RT flight I wa sshort a few points. Otherwise probably wouldnt go to Vegas every year.
    I also have American Ex. Costco card but they are dicontinuing the program that gives me a a cash rebate at Costco.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Sony rewards card that's now owned by Capital One. I hate the card - never use it because I don't need Sony rewards - but I keep it because there's no annual fee and it's the oldest card I've had, since 1988 or 1990 when I was in high school. Has gone through 3 or 4 different corporate owners and reward systems....Suze Orman says hang on to that old credit :) For daily use, husband and I use our Costco Amex but Costco ended that relationship so sometime in the near future we'll have to get something new. Pretty sure that Capital One is the new relationship so we're hoping they have a good deal. We like the Costco Amex because it just gives us flat cash back. Amex is good, but not overseas always - this one has a forex fee (no Capital One cards do, so when we travel overseas we usually use my CapOne Sony Visa or husband's CapOne master card- not sure which it is but he gets cash back too)

We've looked at various reward cards and decided that we prefer the flexibility of cash to a (perhaps) better rate of return with "rewards" (the risk being we wouldn't be able to use whatever the rewards are)

I also have a Delta Amex but I don't use it - got it because I needed a mileage boost, kept it an extra year for the companion ticket - might get rid of that (and the Costco) and upgrade to a Platinum Amex but still not convinced the perks I would use are worth the annual fee - that one is very marginal and depends specifically on an individual's needs. And travel uses, really.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100 people, 100 responses. A SWA card would be worthless to me, one of the two I carry is an Alaska Air card, that might be worthless to another.

7. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup would be wothless to me! :thumbsup:

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bankrate has a pretty good comparison feature for credit cards - would help you figure out which priorities are important to YOU and which cards might be appropriate.

9. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Thanks for the starting place! I wanted to be sure I got candid feedback as well. Sometimes cards seem great and end up being a hassle when you use it or they don't honor rewards. I had Bank of America switch-up my Cash Rewards car terms which sucked because I had accrued over 300 dollars only to lose the bonuses.

10. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    American Express Gold - wouldn't go with anything else (with one exception as outlined below). Unparalleled customer service, superior purchase protection, the rewards system is both generous and flexible, and you get advance access to many special events (in your area - perhaps in Vegas too), pre-screenings of movies, and offers of sorts on wine, dining, and travel.

The only exception is the Platinum version of the same card. I don't use it as I can't justify spending $700 Canadian dollars (as opposed to $150 Canadian for the gold) in the annual fee of the platinum (the US fees are $450 for platinum and $160-$195 for the two different types of gold). But you get access to all kinds of airport lounges, no foreign currency transaction fees, $200 in travel credits every year, and access to concierge service.

This is a charge card and not a credit card, so you can't carry a balance on it. But really, this is the best type of card anyone can get, in my opinion.

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  11. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southworst Card.

Used to be damn good, then they changed the structure about 2 years ago. Still decent, but not what it once was.

12. journaljim

journaljim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like you're heading to Bally's so I recommend the Total Rewards Visa. We are low rollers but it bumped us to Platinum right away.

13. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is only useful to Canadians; my husband and I each got a Westjet Mastercard 2 years ago and we use it for everything! The key kids is to only do that if you can pay the balance in full each month as the interest rate is high! I even use it for groceries where previously I would have used debit. I shop at Presidents Choice stores, use my Presidents Choice Membership Card, get those points, then double dip by paying with the Westjet Mastercard. We are averaging 3 or 4 free flights a year using this CC. Free is good, but again.....it is only good if you can manage it that way with no interest!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  14. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my situation, in Canada I use 3, depending on the purchase

-Scotiabank Visa Infinite Momentum, 4% cash back on fuel and groceries( adds up with 2 teenage boys!..lol), 2% on drugstore and pre-authorized payments, 1% on all else
    - RBC Westjet Mastercard, 1.5% back in Westjet dollars for every purchase, 2%+ for Westjet purchases, other travel perks -Westjet is my best bet for flights at my location
    -Chase Amazon.ca 1% chase back on everything, no fee and no currency exchange fees - all purchases in US dollars

15. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Amex Blue cash for most everything. I get 3% on groc, 2% on fuel and 1% on everything else. I have a few other cards, but don't use them much. There's probably a card out there that would pay a bit more, but since I only put groc., gas and utilities on it, I assume it won't change my tax bracket!

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

16. calcuttaman

calcuttaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been playing the credit card game since about 2000. Started with a Choice Hotels one. Since then, I've had 3 of those. Keep it a year or two, get rid of it and wait for the next offer. I've had so many cards over the last 15 years I don't remember them all.

Currently have a Delta Gold American Express (For the 2nd time). Got 35,000 Delta miles (Real worth $350) and a $50 statement credit once I booked a flight on delta.com. I had to purchase $1000 within the first 3 months. I also get my first bag free (Worth $25 each way) on Delta flights. Probably not worth it to others, but Delta is the only carrier available locally. There is a $95 cost for this after the first year. There are offers out there for 50,000 Delta miles with this card.

I also have a Capital One Venture card. Got $200 free bucks with this. It also earns at 1.25 vs 1.0 for the AMEX.

Do some research, If you charge enough, its probably better to get an airline card and another card.

Another thought, I could care less how many cards I have (I'm responsible) and how it affects my credit rating. At 57, I'm in all likelihood never going to need a loan again!

17. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

SW works for us, especially since I switched to the premier card and got 50K bonus points. There is an annual fee but the benefits far outweigh the fee.

18. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use a capital one venture card. No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. You earn points toward travel.

Also have a SW premier card. There's an annual fee. I think $89 or $98. They give you 6000 points a year for free and that will get me a one way flight to Vegas sometimes. Also no foreign transaction fee.

19. pultzar

pultzar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Citi Double Cash card. 1% cash back on purchase, 1% cash back when you pay it. That equals 2% on everything if you have trouble with math. No annual fee.

20. mason

mason Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No credit cards by choice. If I can't pay cash, I don't need it. I have yet to see why using credit, besides buying a vehicle, could work to my advantage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.