1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Photo Software for computer? (PC Based vs. Web Based)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jgates8, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used Picasa (from Google) for years. As I mentioned in another thread, I just purchased a new laptop & went to download Picasa. Appears Google is sun-setting Picasa & wants customers to use Google Photos, which when I click on their link appears to be a web based software.

I am looking for something still 'desktop based' as my connection (seriously) is .756 or so. (Yes, that's DSL, but we are 4.1 miles from the box & aren't even supposed to get any DSL). It takes literally an hour to upload 20 or so full sized photos. Normally I use Picasa to crop, straight & fancy up the photos (fill light, black & white, soften edges etc) and then upload the best of the batch.

I could try to still download Picasa (although it appears it was never updated to Windows 10 - hopefully it would still function), but wondering if anyone else has a 'favorite' photo software that resides on your computer. I like Picasa as it sorted by date on the photo, always easy to locate something, offered tons of 'pretties' to enhance it, etc.

Any suggestion for options you like are greatly appreciated.

2. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My answer.

Move.

3. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Pain Shop Pro to do all my editing, but there are tons of programs out there that would suffice.

I suspect you could even get by with the free Irfanview, which is really great for viewing images, and will also crop, change brightness/contrast, etc.

I would imagine you could get a lite version of PhotoShop or something, but I really have no experience with that - just guessing.

Try googling it. I came up with this:

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425910,00.asp

4. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha ha ! I thought maybe you were going to suggest a piPhone based software lol. The moving won't happen for around 3 years. The frost walls will be going in this summer. So I'm stuck with this b.s. until at least 3 years from now. Any chance you will be in Vegas in April?

Oh yeah - not that it makes any difference in the software used to pretty up the photos, but I do upload to Shutterfly.

5. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may need to take laptop into Kwik Trip & use their wifi & try to download a couple of the options in the link you posted RF. Hopefully someone else will drop in with 'oh this one stunk, don't use it' etc so I I can eliminate a couple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.