1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

New Way for Taxi drivers to long haul you

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Grandad, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grandad

Grandad Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Came back from Vegas last week but on arrival I was caught. Yes I said Bellagio via Tropicana and thought it strange that whilst trying to get out of the airport the taxi went round and round , missing the exit and going past departures. So his clock showed $14 before we actually got onto Tropicana. This after a 5 hour delay and a 10 hour flight . He also tried to turn left when I had to remind him I wanted to go to the Bellagio. Regret I was too tired to argue the point and paid the $27 fare but only gave him a dollar. So when I come again in May I shall have to learn to say, No Tunnel , No sightseeing, No tour of the airport, just straight up Tropicana.So watch out for this new trick

2. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sigh, bastards. Guess I'm really gonna have to start using Uber/Lyft. Thanks for the heads up.

3. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would never happen with an uber.. I do not get why people still use taxis.. Kinda like watching a movie on a vcr these days

4. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Thanks for the pro-tip! Going to Vegas soon and don't want to be hustled on a cab fair...

5. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I refuse to support Uber because of their squishy business ethics. I convenience of the app doesn't phase me since I almost always drive and hailing a cab in nyc is almost always faster. Plus the cabbies are insured and almost always better, faster drivers.

6. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking as neutrally as I can - based on the fact that your profile shows you're from the UK, I'm guessing you have an accent - and perhaps he may have drawn the conclusion that accent = no clue as to the fastest route, or accent = curiosity which will appreciate "sightseeing". I'm not saying that he probably wouldn't have tried this with an American tourist - I'm just saying he might have been more inclined to try to pull a fast one on you knowing that you're not from the Americas.

Observing the situation from a broad-scale perspective, does anyone know if Nevada taxi authorities have any firm requirements with regard to the shortest possible route?

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  7. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How would you know cabbies are better, faster drivers if you don't use Uber? And they are insured.

8. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I don't personally use Uber, doesn't mean I haven't been in an Uber that someone else requested. :)

Don't get me wrong it's not bad, but I also refuse to support a company that increases rates on days where there is more demand. Last I checked Taxi fares are the same regardless if the President is in town or if there's a war outside.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strictly from my own experiences with taxi drivers. It seems I get long hauled from drivers from foreign countries. They hardly speak any English (or fake it) and I suspect they fake knowing how to get places using the shorter routes. I believe these are the guys on the hustle.

10. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I got in a taxi once at the airport and the driver started chatting straight away.

Driver: Is this your first time in Vegas?

Me: No it's my 8th time.

Driver: So would you like to go the quickest way or the cheapest way.

I wondered if I had of said it was my first time if he would of given me an option or just long hauled me.

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had this happen to me too. I was getting a ride from downtown to Mirage and the driver kept making these odd turns. I kept saying, "Where are you going?" and he kept mumbling something about how he knows a faster route. I just kept correcting him. When we arrived at Mirage, I was digging for change in the bottom of my purse to give him exactly the fare. No tip for you! I think he got $0.03 when I couldn't find enough pennies. He was not pleased.

12. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Wonder if it's worth saying I'll tip you more if you get me there that faster way. Cabbies don't really keep much of the fare so it's in their best interest to expedite the trip and grab more tips, no?

13. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cabs in Vegas are always right there waiting.
    I don't need to pull up an app and place an order then wait 3-5 min (or more). sure I may pay a bit more but if you are smart about it (I always inform the cab driver that I come to Vegas at least twice a year) it wont be much more and is slightly more convenient. Also I despise "Surge pricing".

I expect the cab ride I take today will be approximately the same as yesterday (pending traffic and light stops etc)

14. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, the requirement is shortest by distance. Which is why they'll often propose the highway as faster, stating delays due to traffic or construction. If you approve whatever they say, it's legal.

http://taxi.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/taxinvgov/content/Rider_Info/DidYouKnow.pdf

15. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

They need a like button on this forum but yes this is my philosophy as well! Felt like my original post may have come off a little aggressive. LOL

16. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For such a congested city, NYC transportation is the best I've seen. Both subway and cabs are great there.

17. 1LuckyMomma

1LuckyMomma High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're definitely taking Uber or Lyft this trip. If nothing else, to avoid the rat race maze we get stuck in upon arrival . Waiting in the taxi line dragging our bags back and forth for 20-30 minutes wears me out and makes me grumpy.

18. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you don't need 3 guesses for the answer to that :rolleyes2: I get the same question each time I visit but put them straight I know the way so don't take the p1ss, even so I got caught out this year and my trip to the Cosmo clocked up $24 because he managed to find his way into a traffic jam 200 yards from the hotel. ( cant remember the road name but the traffic signals TOOK FOREVER to change ) If I wernt so cynical I would say he knew about it and planned to get his arse stuck there on purpose :grrr:
    Cheapest trip back EVER was from the Aria to the Airport $15 so he got $5 tip just coz it was a $20 I had in my hand, good man :thumbsup:

19. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The funny thing is that I'm absolutely disgusted by the taxis (trying) to scam me but I don't have any problem tipping extremely generously if they are honest. For example, one the losers took me and my fiancee a horrible de-tour from Aria (if I remember right) to Mirage, he didn't even take the freeway but the road next to the freeway. I would've made a big deal out of it but my fiancee talked me out of it. Needless to say I didn't tip a cent. But when I took a cab from Cosmo to Mirage, the fare must have been like 8 bucks or so, I handed the guy $20 and said I was sorry for the short ride. He greatly appreciated it and said it wasn't that big of a deal for him anyway.

Funny how the human mind works? I was happy to pay more than the fare would've been had he long hauled my ass but if I'm long hauled it annoys the fuck out of me even though it would be cheaper... kind of.

20. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew in on Feb 10th at 10pm (ok so Wednesday night at 10pm is not prime time) but I walked right up to the front of the cab line and proceeded to the first taxi. absolutely zero wait time or herding around in the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.