1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Those of you who are retired...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Johnzimbo, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you look forward to your Vegas trips with the same anticipation as when you were employed?

I think about my next trip daily and always look forward to a few days and nights in paradise where I can shut my mind off of work issues, and wonder when I finally retire if I will anticipate my next trip as much as I do now.

Annual me and Pete
  2. Jaci2014

Jaci2014 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I do--have less in my bankroll, though!

3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Retirement opened my calendar without a work schedule to consider so my dates are very flexible. This allows taking cheaper flights at more awkward times than when working. Employed or not the anticipation is still there.

4. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is me too. My time is much more flexible. But my anticipation level is basically the same

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tough question. I retired and we moved to Vegas which was a dream of mine. We lived there for two years and decided it wasn't for us and moved back to Wisconsin.

But yes, we go back multiple times per year and still get excited about our trips. I do get a lot of crap from my working friends when I say we are going on vacation to Vegas and they reply vacation from what? :evillaugh

But, come March 1, I'll be retired 8 years and in 2015 we did 6 Vegas trips and we expect 5 in 2016. I just booked our anniversary (#35) trip for October 14-18.

We leave Friday and my wife has already started packing. I haven't started packing but I'm gathering my bankroll money.

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe--that IS packing. Good luck!!

7. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My time was "flexible" for several years before I officially retired, and there's been zero change in anticipation or excitement. If anything, it's more fun now that I don't have to deal with work-related issues.

8. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No longer have to schedule that extra vacation day for 're-adjust to reality' before going back to work. Now I just ease into and back out of a Vegas state of mind. Still exciting!

9. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The biggest things as others have said is the ability to go when the trips can be at their cheapest and therefore you may go more often, etc. I retired in 2010 but went back to work part-time/full time some weeks almost two years ago. I honestly got bored, I was going to LV 3 or 4 times a year and then started going to Jamaica. One year I did feel like I went to Jamaica once to often as the third trip I started to feel like it was just too much work to get there considering I had just been a month or so prior. So I backed that off and started working a bit more.

Retirement has been really funny for me because I was so young and was medically retired out of a career and way of life that I loved. Sometimes I get kind of down and wish my path would have been different and other times I realize how lucky I am to be relatively healthy and not just beat to shit physically.

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only change is that I now get a standard room instead of the Tower Deluxe at The Mirage. I spend the majority of my time alone, so going somewhere and enjoying other people is a definite bonus. Don't ever underestimate the role your co-workers play in your life. You will miss the daily soap opera.

11. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't miss teaching at my school because its downside increased dramatically in the last years while the upside melted away. I miss the students.

I look forward to trips much more now than when I was working. Back then, I was too stressed to think much about trips except in the summer. Now that it's always summer for me, I savor the anticipation of trips to Vegas or anywhere we go. AND, I never have to take homework along!

12. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is so true. When people ask me if I miss work I always say firstly that I miss the guys. We used to say that when guys leave or retired you "out of the club" and things just really aren't the same. I got together with some of the old gang a couple weeks ago and it was really nice.

13. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another though for those who have a chance to retire early, there is the temptation to keep working and make that extra $$$. I turned down some really lucrative consulting jobs when I first retired that would have paid some serious money to supplement my income but would have put me right back in the grind. I chose to take some part time low stress work where hardly anyone knows my name, just enough to keep active and keep some fun money flowing.

It is all about choices though, my neighbor is outside washing his three German cars as we speak and he is a total slave to his job and will likely work till old age. I have a couple Toyotas and aside from my vacation habit to real big expenses. Its not for everyone some can't seem to quit spending. I talked to a guy I used to work with a couple months ago and I knew he was at retirement age but still working and then he began to tell me about his $800 a month truck payment and new motorcycle and he has this huge house and its only him but his expenses are through the roof so he is stuck working for now.

Its all about choices.

14. Danamrak

Danamrak Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't been in three years so I'm sure when we do schedule a Vegas trip I'll be just as excited as our first trip 20+ years. Used to go twice a year so definitely need a trip to Vegas.

15. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I retired after a lay off in 2008. Never could find a job I liked (probably due to the $ and age) so I quit looking. I've been going to Vegas now 3 times a year with for at least 5 nights for 4 years. More than I ever could while working.

16. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well stated, Ron.

Watch popular and sports TV for just an hour. Note the ads. They are there for a reason. The typical American is a financial idiot.

17. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I turned down a couple of jobs right after I retired for the same reason.

I still look forward to Vegas trips and other destinations with the same anticipation and excitement but now as I head home I don't have to dread working around the clock to get caught up at work. I feel fortinate that I was able to retire at 52. Now if I could only convince my husband to retire.

18. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still have moments when I think wow, I really left a lot of money on the table and possibly wasted my education, but then I look at the positive. I barely recall my kids as small children, only did one family vacation in 5 years and missed so much. Now I am there for them always and we travel and have a ton of fun. I am sometimes sickened by my own excess, I made a promise last May not to buy any new clothes for a year. I have done pretty well, I bought on boxing collector type t-shirt and a Bob Marley t-shirt to wear in Jamaica as we were on the island for his birthday celebration and I had only packed one and already wore it. I have made an effort to live much smaller in material things and place importance and priority on travel and experiences over possessions.

It really hits home when you see folks in these other countries that live on so little but are so happy and full of positive thoughts and love for others. It really makes me look and think what are we doing? Life flies right by us while we are pursuing degrees and careers and then promotions and a bigger house and then a German car and then a Swiss watch and not a house on a lake and the list goes on and on........

19. DESPERADO

DESPERADO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :wave: i was blessed and retired at 59. really some don't believe me......... i love being with my wife where ever we go or stay!!:kiss:

20. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was forced to retire in 2011 because of my stroke and now with open heart surgery weeks ago. Otherwise i'd be still working full time and making lots more money that i am now. I used to make commission plus my base pay, but now i'm collecting SS which is fixed income. I do have some money in my MM. I have Medicare but not Medical, i don't qualify.
    And now my hospital bills are coming through the mail and it's not a pretty sight.
    I still plan on going to Vegas in November, but it's tough without having an income from working, especially from commission.

Having open heart surgery was/is a piece of cake compared to being in debt from hospital bills. I wanted to work another 15 years till about 75, but that will never happen.

I never play the Lotto, but i may start now, $5,000 a month would do just fine, and then i can stay at the Cromwell......:licklips:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.