1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown Boyd advice needed

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by gambler, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wanted to bounce this off all you Boyd experts downtown.

I have a "Sapphire offer" from Boyd offering me 3 nights anywhere at Vegas Boyd properties till March 31. We'd like to meet my son and his girlfriend in Vegas and then my son and I would register for my free room at MSS. My husband and I would be staying elsewhere downtown, but no doubt visiting and playing at MSS.

We (hope) to not have every meal together but we'd like to use some of our numerous comp points to pay for some of their meals. I think the best way to do this is for him to charge the restaurant bills to the room (using his new BConnected card for the discount first!) and then we use our points to pay for his meals at the end of his stay. Does that sound about right or is there another way?

I have limited experience at downtown Boyd properties. I've double booked at MSS (and really liked their rooms) but have never tried any of this. Can he eat at The Cal and charge to his room at MSS? Are Boyd properties closely associated downtown? At MSS, are his choices for charging to the room the buffet and Triple 7's (he'll love both). Is there anywhere else? Do I talk to the BConnected Club people before checking out to use my points for their meals or does the registration desk take care of that?

Does Boyd have an outdoor parking lot? My son had an oversize vehicle so he'll need to park in a lot. Anyone know?

Any hints or advice would be welcome! :)

2. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think points have to be used at the time you pay for your meal. So not sure that is going to work.

If you play on your son's card, then he can use the points at meal-time.

Another alternative is to cash the points for cash at the end of your stay and use the dollars to pay for some of the bill. But really, this is a bad alternative. You're taking a 40% hit this way ( you get a 40% discount on meals when you use points).

You can charge meals at the Cal to a room at MSS - the three properties are closely linked and you can cross charge between them

MSS is buffet and 777. Cal has snack bar, coffee shop, noodle house, redwood grille, and also Aloha Specialties upstairs (not sure if you can use points there or not? someone said they are privately owned?).

I think MSS has an outdoor lot you can use. They have an RV lot... not sure if they charge for that though.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flusher's points are all valid.
    You cannot use points or a Silver/Gold Card at Aloha.

The outdoor lot at MSS does have a canopy, so if your son's vehicle isn't too high, he could park there. As Flusher said there is also the RV lot.

I have not used the outdoor lot since they starting charging a fee, so I don't know if guests can still flash a room card at the gate and the fee is wavied.

4. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    since you are sapphire, you get 2x points. If he does not go to vegas much, have him use your card when playing slots and vp for double points, to use for food.
    On a side note. Got my May sapphire offers... slot tourney and 3 days at Cal or MSS and another 4 days at MSS. Shame can't be combined(72 hour between rule)

5. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just want to emphasize what Flusher already said: if you charge meals to the room, you won't get the 40% discount.
    On the other hand, you could get some or all the meals comped at the back end.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Cal and MSS has an outdoor lot right across the street. As someone else mentioned, there is a canopy at the entrance so it is possible that a tall or wide vehicle may not make it into the lot. Use google maps to check out the entryway, the address is 94 stewart ave but I think here is also the shot of the entryway: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.173552,-115.1437252,3a,75y,35.78h,87.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1X3YKtkxVXySeD4_vmLx3w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1.
    Hotel guests can pick up a parking pass to park for free in the Cal and MSS lots, including this outdoor lot (which also holds the overflow parking when the other lots are filled up).

There is also a RV lot located on main street after the freeway overpass. Here is a pic of the entrance: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1762816,-115.1433649,3a,75y,127.83h,90.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skT72-_w-AyjZUO4kL5RQ7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
    Not sure but since it is an RV lot you may have to pay to park in this area.

7. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah you cannot use points for the meals charged to the room. I asked when I checked in if I can use points to reduce my bill, they told me no.

8. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. You guys are a wealth of information!

Makikiboy, thanks for the link to the parking pic. My son is driving a van with a tire and camping supplies on top so he might not fit in a parkade but he'll have no problem in that lot.

Flusher, thanks for explaining that 40% issue with charging meals to the room. No savvy gambler wants to give up that much so we'll try to coordinate a bit so that I can use points for their meals. It will be easy enough for me to pay their way into the buffet and then I can hit the bar for some VP and my own liquid lunch. And with all the food options at Boyd properties downtown, it should be easy for him to find somewhere to eat that's close to where I'm playing. He's grown up listening to our stories of how we do Vegas and I'm looking forward to actually showing him how the benefits can be rewarding if you do it right. Thanks for the Aloha tip Joe. No sense paying for food when you can get it free.

That's interesting wanker. Last month at Suncoast, we checked at the player's club and were told to use our comp points to pay our bill at checkout. I specifically asked if I needed to do it at the club desk and was told no - they could do it at checkout. We only had about $40 on our final bill but were told at checkout that we couldn't use our points to pay. Since it was so small we just paid it but I do wonder what the real answer is. I will have to ask again at MSS to see what they say. Like Flusher suggested, I could just draw cash from my points and pay the bill that way but it sure would be nice to have a straight answer.

Just a couple more questions... Can someone confirm that they have JOB at Boar's head? I'm pretty sure I recall Joe saying they did. That's probably the game my son would start with since he's a beginner at VP. I don't imagine he'll be gambling big amounts but it would make sense for him to use my card and at least get the 2x points. Great tip eaglejohn, I would never have remembered that Saphire is 2x.

And does MSS have bathtubs or just showers?

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's been a big help!

9. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at Fremont so maybe it is different?

9/6 JOB at Boars Head!!!

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, 9/6 JOB on quarters at Boar's Head. 9/5 on DDB. Cal has 9/6 DDB.

Shower tub combo at MSS. Many complain the shower head is too low, but if that is the only bitch, I can live with it.

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are 5' 10" then you should fit under the shower head. If you are taller you can probably turn the shower nozzle towards you at an angle so you can still get "under" the water.

MSS has a tub/shower combo so you can soak in the tub or just take a shower.

Gambler, I figured the actual shot of the entrance would probably help you determine if you son's van will make it into the lot.

12. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And my son can live with it too. So long as they have hot water, I'm sure he'll be thrilled. They've been traveling around Mexico for the past 2 months, sleeping in his van and eating campfire food. I have no doubt that a real bed, hot water and some good food will have him grinning from ear to ear. He won't be complaining about anything!

The picture was great makikiboy. I've parked a rental car in that lot before but of course never noticed the entrance height because I was in a car. I'd forgotten that that lot even belonged to MSS. They'll be plenty of space there.

13. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love MSS threads! The limbo showers crack me up, how did they decide on that height? I'm 5'8" and find it kinda low, but I can limbo it.

9/6 JOB at Boar's Head is great. Most of the bartenders are also great. We will be there in 3 weeks.

14. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Say HI to Jose 2 Boars Head.
    Great Bartender.

15. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You got that right! I was happy he moved to swing shift since I am there usually in evening

16. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone know if MSS allows using points on a comp room, to pay for WIFI access (the daily 9.99 charge)
    I wasn't able to do so before, but maybe they have lightened up?

At GC and Orleans, the WIFI is included in the free comp.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As of November, the wifi is not comped, on a comped room.

18. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nor was it at fremont in January

19. retro

retro Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No kidding?!!! that sucks, guess that's the price of no resort fee, they need to get there bucks elsewhere. I've actually started using the free wifi at the plaza (mcdonalds). can't believe how cheap i am sometimes but like to give it to the girls rather than the hotel.

Question for Joe, what's the deal with 1000 points / free buffet (get the movie star treatment on the omelette). I used to go to players club, get a voucher. Last trip the clerk never heard of it, acted like she was doing me this huge favor, giving me a lousy comp for breakfast. Next day asked another clerk, she heard of it but gave some story that I can only be at 30% of my "person" and I was at 35. I had her explain it 3 times and still didn't get it.

20. jf3976

jf3976 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was that the bartender we saw/met? Haha, he really is "famous" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.