1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Baseball Time Travel.....What Years Would You Play ? Why ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Okay ---- One stipulation........Money/Salary NOT involved.
    Wouldn't we all play for the amount of money payed, today ?
    MLB = I think I'd like to play during the Roaring Twenties.
    Deadball Era was gone - crowds were coming back after the Black Sox Scandal.
    New stadiums were being built......No World War going on.
    Train travel that wasn't cross country.
    Spring training in Cuba ?.....or exotic Florida ?

Second choice = 1950's
    Oh......and about that "money" thing.
    When Mickey Mantle was making 100k........
    that salary was about 7x what my father made.
    Cespedes ( sp ? ).....signing for 25 -27.5 million per year -
    is ( approx ) 250x my salary.
    ( I believe my math is correct ? )
    That's why I have to leave the money out of the question.

2. Franken Dean

Franken Dean Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd love to have been a rookie in 1927.

The opportunity to play with or against the Babe, Gehrig,.

Also would be able to see Ty Cobb, and Shoeless Joe jackson and many of the legendary pitchers. You also get the era of the Negro leagues with Josh Gibson and off season barnstorming shows. As a aging veteran in the mid 30's, and 40's you get to play with/against Dimaggio and Ted Williams.

3. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My choice 1991, Braves worst to first probably one of the best post seasons ever , even though they lost the world series

4. Raptor

Raptor High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me this is easy, 1992,1993. I'm a Jays fan, they did alright those years!

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, in any sport -- that is if Thor someone reached down and gave me the ability to excel at such a level -- I'd choose the current era. Nostalgia is a nice concept, but it often is viewed through tinted glasses. I think cycling is far better now as it get's clean. (I didn't say it is clean.) The so-called golden eras in baseball when Jim Crow was the law of the land and/or owners and the league held all the power and drugs and booze ruled the day? No freakin' thanks. Golf? From what I know, these uber-athletic kids have an attribute missing from many of the greats we put on the pedestal -- sincerity; they're nice boys and girls, mostly. Take the camera off Trevino, ouch. Floyd? Double ouch. Hogan? Forget it. Jack and Arnie? They did -- and still do -- get it (but they weren't saints). When the PGA Tour changes the name of the old circuit to Grumps Tour that will be an accurate reflection. When I was way into tennis, it was Connors, Borg and John the Cranky Bastard, and those were for starters, and easily could be matched from the women's side. Wow. But damn if the play hasn't just ratcheted up three notches with this generation.

I'd be very happy playing the grand old game right now, and not just for money; but money doesn't suck. Better everything abounds -- parks, conditions, travel, treatment and conditioning helping me have a better shot at a longer career. And there still are groupies, right?!?

6. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any time from '67 - '85, just so I could have had a chance to play with, or even against, Rod Carew. I'm sure it's because I grew up watching him, but to this day he still seems like the smoothest, coolest hitter ever to play the game.

7. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1951 - 1971
    Simply, so I could have to privilege to play with/against, watch, appreciate, savor, thrill to, and enjoy, the greatest all around baseball player of all time, Willie Mays.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is that.

9. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unquestionably I would choose now. The facilities, equipment, safety, stadiums, clubhouses, travel, food, and other amenities have never been better.

10. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Late 1980s to mid 1990s. Several of my friends from high school and college were drafted and a couple made it to the majors during that period. It would have fun to play with them but there was not a great demand for a singles hitting catcher who weighed 150 pounds. I did play in college but that was as far as I was ever going to go.

11. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1991 is the greatest World Series ever, in my humble opinion. I am neither a Braves or Twinkies fan but love baseball and that was some great theater. Having Jack Buck drop the greatest call "and we'll see you tomorrow night" was awesome too.

I was 12 years old and watched every inning. I would like to buy the whole DVD series on it just to have it too.

I still have nightmares about Joe effing Carter. And Mitch Williams. And Jim Fregosi not staying with Roger Mason. My god I need a drink.

12. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a great question.

I love baseball. I played it and was half decent. As much as I enjoyed playing football...baseball is and always was my first love. I am also an old soul, so to speak, as I love old muscle cars, doo-wop, big band jazz and other oldies. I would have loved to live in the late 50s.

I would choose playing ball in the mid 50s through the late 60s. Willie Mays, The Mick, Bob Gibson (would have loved to have watched him pitch)...baseball during the day, ball games on the radio...kids playing ball in the street...sign me up

13. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for me, the early 60's(no batting helmet era) to the mid 70's.... 75 series would have been my finale....

used to listen to ball games on my pocket 9 volt transistor all the time on the porch or later in bed...

ps. I did see Gibson pitch in the 67 series against the Red Sox...intimidating to say the least

put me in coach, i'm ready to play

14. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    75 was the year of the Fisk series right? Willing the ball fair?

I would have wanted to see Gibson and how intimidating he was. I have read so much as to how he didn't like guys digging in on him and any perceived sleight and he was buzzing their towers.

I grew up a Phillies fan and would listen to Harry Kalas and RIchie Ashburn. When we moved away from PA I was devastated because I couldn't watch and listen. My grandpop used to tape games and send them to me and I would watch them days later. The only time I got to see the Phils was when they played the Braves or Cubbies. And most of the time the Chicago games were day games and my mom would let me stay home from school.

One night, when we lived in Kansas, I was screwing around with my radio and put some tinfoil on the antenna...I was able to pick up 1210am outta Philly for several minutes and heard Harry calling a game. It amazed me that I could hear him all the way from Kansas. Powerful AM station and a super clear night.

15. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boy I miss read your title as Baseball Travel time - I thought you were commenting the amount of time as a parent you spend at travel ball, haha I spent so many years watching my son play travel ball all around the country til he played in college. I'd go back to that time & watch him do it all again - this time I would make more of the college games and traveled to see him play all his summer college league games. He got hurt & didn't get drafted so it all came to a sudden end.

I would have loved to see all of Nolan Ryan's games.

When we Were Young
  16. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1915-1935 giving myself a 20 year career. Would have played against many of the all time greats. Coach another twenty and I'd cover the breaking of the color barrier and see many more all time greats.

17. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    95 Mariners. I'm fairly young and haven't been blessed with seeing my team win the World Series so this would be it. Sure, they won more games in '01 but it still ended up in an ALCS loss just like in '95. Watching Edgar hit "the double" to score Cora and Griffey to put them into the ALCS was great and being able to play on that team that I watched as a kid would be the cherry on top. Edgar, Randy, Buhner, a young A-Rod, and some guy who had the prettiest swing ever.

635879694985787443515018616_72362413_crop_650x440.jpg

[YOUTUBE]F8SBJzOEcyU[/YOUTUBE]

18. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might be able to tell from my username that I'm a sucker for truly exceptional futility. I think playing for the '62 Mets would have been a hilarious experience. If I can't be the best, I'd rather be the absolute worst, as opposed to being simply mediocre.

19. RockyBalboa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're right...Junior had the sweetest swing ever. Will Clark is up there too (despite him being an all time dickhead).

I loved watching those Mariner teams. I even committed a sports fan sin in tribute to them...owning another teams sports wear other than Philadelphia. The only non-Philadelphia wardrobe or accessory I have ever purchased was one of those beautiful teal fitted hats back in 1994. I wish they would bring them back so I could buy another one.

20. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.