1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best way to book a hotel? (mlife? call hotel? travelocity?)

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LeythG, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeythG

LeythG Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's the best way to book a hotel? Using the mlife website, calling the hotel directly, or using a 3rd party website like travelocity/kayak? I just booked by calling Excalibur directly, but it's not how I booked last time and I am worried that I am not getting the best deal. What do you think?

2. bobbylight350z

bobbylight350z Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked direct with the flamingo online. My grandpa travels a lot for work and countless times has had issues with expedia/orbitz/hotels.com etc, (not sure which ones specifically). Things like the reservation not being for the right "room" that was booked, double beds instead of kings, smoking instead of non smoking, or the reservation not showing up at all. He now only books direct with hotels. One thing to consider is that he has been on the road atleast 2 weeks a month, for 30 years; so the actual probability of you running into the same issues are far less likely. I just took his word for it and booked direct, which was actually the same exact price as orbitz.

3. Maxmannl

Maxmannl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I checked yesterday for our trip in May/June and compared some sites.
    Cheapest way to book was on the mlife site with the winter offer. Included 50 dollar mlife resort credit.

For a 8 night stay in MGM it was a couple of hunderd cheaper as other sites.

But it could be cheaper somewhere else next week.

Just book for the price you are comfortable with, and many site have free cancellation. So if you get a very good deal somewhere else you cancel and rebook at the other site.

4. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no best way except doing your homework. Compare prices online through different search engines with the rate that the hotel offer, also it doesn't hurt to be flexible in your travel dates to get the best deal. When you find a deal you like lock in and keep browsing for price changes.

5. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I check the prices directly, via smartervegas.

Then I check them through several 3rd party websites.

I'm in the UK, and I use the ones below -

http://www.ebookers.com/

https://www.expedia.com/

http://www.otel.com/

http://www.trivago.com/

If I can't find anything better on the third party websites, then I book direct.

Disclaimer - I don't really gamble at all in Vegas, so comps are never a factor for me.

I always make sure I can cancel if I find something better, as I often end up booking/cancelling several times before heading out.

6. LeythG

LeythG Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool, that's what I figured. I booked over the phone. How do I go about cancelling? Just call them I am guessing right?

7. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, that's what I do. They will give you a cancellation #.

8. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several non gambling friends meet me in Las Vagas once a year.
    They swear they have got the best deals and easiest changes by calling the hotel.

Requesting AAA rate or matching consolidators rates has worked well.
    Last year,one guy called several times as he saw better rates come up and Aria matched them.

It's a little less convenient with prepaid reservations on Orbitz,Travelocity and others.

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no best way. One time a certain way will yield the lowest price, another time another way will do so. You have to check all ways. If you are in the players club then log into your account and check rates. Use the travel sites, Expedia, Kayak, etc... If you fly Southwest sometimes their vacation packages (air and hotel) are the cheapest way to go. Call the hotel directly and ask for any deals or specials. AAA rates. AARP rate. Military discounts.

Book your lowest price and then keep checking, rates can change and you can often cancel and rebook.

10. Bondy3

Bondy3 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    always book directly through the hotel your gonna stay at! cut out the middle man!

11. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone had any problems canceling and re-booking with Mlife? For example let's say I book for June at one price, a month later I see that they now have the room I'm in for less - it it as simple as calling them and saying 'give me the new rate?'

Vegas Trip #57
    Vegas Trip #58, Sammy Hagar
  12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done that online with MLife, cancel a reservation and book a new one. I suppose you could call them, it might be quicker.

13. sr1972

sr1972 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always book directly with the hotel or via Mlife/Total Rewards, mainly because of the cancellation policy. Sometimes I can find a better deal using www.smartervegas.com, but usually the best price is through the Mlife/Total Rewards website. I have booked both online and over the phone using Mlife and noticed when booking over the phone you are not charged the first nights deposit, and I can sometimes get a better price than what is being advertised on the site.

As far as cancelling and rebooking, definitely call, they have no problem at all updating your reservation, not to mention while you have them on the phone you can inquire about other promotions that you may be able to take advantage of, good luck!!

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This stuff is fairly easy. Compare each online. And check multiple dates. I was looking at either Mirage or MB for Feb and saw daily rates range from $92 to $450 for base room.

Almost all hotels will allow you to cancel. Sometimes same day, sometimes day or two before (more common in Vegas), or some other timeframe.

Non refundable are just that... non refundable, but not as common in the states.

15. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always tell people to book directly with the hotel (or airline) and avoid third party booking sites.

You get a lot more flexibility when booking direct.

16. Bondy3

Bondy3 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its very easy to cancel and re-book with all the main hotels in vegas, as long as there is fair notice (more than 3 days)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.