1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

pre-Vegas expenses

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by LolaDoggie, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anybody include pre-Vegas expenses in their Vegas budget?

Yes, I know you're all a bunch of hardened Commando's who go to Vegas wearing a loin cloth and night vision goggles...nothing more...

Like so many of us willing to admit it, I have part of my closet dedicated to Vegas-wear. I don't need more. But, you know I'm going to buy a few more pieces. I've got my eye on a few purses on eBay right now. I don't need a fresh hair cut & highlights, mani-pedi and whatever else, but you know I'm not getting on the plane without them.

So..you willing to admit to any pre-Vegas expenses? Do they have their own section in the Vegas budget?

2. Sapphire

Sapphire Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My pre-Vegas expenses are making sure I'm "stocked" on household things before I leave. Like making sure I have certain things like coffee, bread, toilet paper, etc etc. For whatever strange reason, I really need my house to be stocked properly upon my return. I guess I just know that after a Vegas trip I'm going to want to come home and just relax before I have to go back to work. Nothing worse than coming home and realizing I have to go to the store for "x". That, and I budget in leaving my kids money so they can do whatever it is they do while I'm gone.

3. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely mani pedi. I save getting a facial and hair cut (now adding color!) and another mani/pedi for my last full day in Vegas (after a typical 9 day trip) so that I'm heading back to the "real world" all set. IMO I don't worry about getting my hair "done" pre Vegas as I'm in a spa and/or pool (if good weather) almost every day in Vegas.

I have standards I wear in Vegas in fall/winter and in spring/summer but I do like to update or refresh my Vegas wardrobe with a couple of additional and nice but not expensive pieces. I tend to wear (I hope) classy but definitely more "clingy" clothes in Vegas than I wear normally.

I am a luggage freak so my pre-Vegas expenses may include refreshing//cleaning my luggage (if I can't get any stains out from lighter-colored luggage/my hot pink Tumi roller!), which I avoid checking if at all possible.

Other treats might be a fresh tube of lipstick or lip gloss.

Again, I try not to spend much pre-Vegas so I can have more for my trip but I might freshen up with a not-expensive bling ring, new swimsuit or workout clothes, or a pair of shades but the $20-30 kind, not the expensive triple digits kind). If I am going to buy something more expensive that I really want, I tend to save those purchases in the event I have a big win while in Vegas (e.g, purchasing a Hermes scarf) and they tend to be purchases that I would use in my every day "real world" life.

4. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a guy in his 50's so wearing just a loincloth would not be a pretty sight! I also go sans the night vision goggles, although that might be a good idea. Other than one particular shirt I always wear in Vegas, I am pretty much come as I am with no special preparation. Actually, not having to worry about things like highlights or pedicures is very nice for both prep time and the wallet.

5. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought I was the only one that had a section of my closet just for Vegas clothes. I'm always on the lookout for Vegas clothes. I must include a mani-pedi, hair cut and dye in my Vegas plan also.

Sema Show
    Golden Knights here we come. Go Dallas Stars!
  6. 6Mermaids

6Mermaids Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always get my hair done, mani/pedi, and a few new clothing pieces. I, too, stock up the house before I leave (and clean). My only other "pre vegas expense" that I budget out for is boarding my dogs.

I like to shop in Vegas...though the last 2 times I didn't do any shopping. Stuck on the tables too long. :)

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have pretty little pink bears on my loincloth. :beer: And my eyes are so bad I'm considering night vision goggles during the daytime. :poke:

Seriously, I'm a Downtown person so pre Vegas expenses are limited to a haircut.

Maybe a new loincloth with yellow and blue honeybees...:poke:

8. scohitch

scohitch Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shaved head so no haircut. \i wear orthotics so I can't wear sandals so no pedi. We complete pre-Vegas trip lists of things we're going to take and that will determine if we need to pick anything up. Like most, we try to take carry-on only, regardless of trip length. When we land, we just want to get to the hotel.

No loincloth...I go commando. :thumbsup:

9. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eyelash extensions and Hair appointment made for the day before I leave - always.

10. Jon E Coyote

Jon E Coyote Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stock the house with groceries and fill the cars with gas, because I know I'm coming home broke.

11. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Travel insurance is usually about $300 for me, because I have to add MS to my cover.

I book all my scooters up before I leave, so they're sent to the hotels I want them at by the time I arrive.

For $69 a week, it's easier to just get one sent to the Rio, as well as one to the Nugget, and that saves waiting around for special cabs.

If I've found a good deal through a 3rd party, then my hotel is paid before I go, too.

12. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I buy brand new shoes before every trip.

It's amazing how fresh, snazzy kicks will boost your confidence!

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am anal about planning Vegas trip. Checking flights, seats, etc.

But, no extra expense. Zero. Nada.

We over pack,which is silly. After all, between the malls and drug stores, you can buy ANYTHING you need.

Again, nothing in advance.

14. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Vegas expenses doesn't start until I'm in Vegas. I don't even include airfare.. But I do include airport parking if I don't take a car service.

15. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I consider any special event ticket a pre-Vegas expense. It gives me some structure, otherwise I'd probably gamble a lot more than I should. Call it a pre-Vegas investment :eek:

And I too end up accumulating "Vegas-specific" dresses. Resisted buying any since my last trip ( ok I bought 1 at the thrift store LOL) so the goal is to finally wear 2 of the "never worn" collection. My middle aged feet now demand certain shoes for walking, so that is also a pre-Vegas expense. Just can't bring myself to walk Vegas in running shoes.

I don't do the manicure or haircut right before a trip - keep hoping for a hand pay so I can get something special at the hotel spa & salon.

And yup, fill the house with groceries and clean a little more, just one less hassle after a long trip home.

16. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good bottle of bourbon for the room. Water for the room. Restock the dopp kit. Get the car serviced. That's about it.

17. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also stock up on groceries and stuff...not because I am afraid I will go broke but because when I get home from Vegas I am spent. I don't want to do a damn thing but lay on the couch and recover.

A new pair(s) of shoes is always a must. Eyeing another pair of Air Max and Jordans for March. I will also buy a couple new polo shirts.

Other than that...nothing out of the ordinary.

18. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    pre trippie

Pre check

*Make sure all shirts are pressed/starched
    *Fresh bag of new gold toe socks
    *haircut
    *re-place an I-phone charger, there always disappearing (growing legs & walking away)
    *get my boots shined (a Texan thing)
    *book a show, if anything we pre-determine we definitely want to see, Comedian or Concert @L.V. during the trip
    *pre-arrange a Car rental on Priceline

First day, hit a CVS/Walgreens for Water, & Snacks

19. justdeb

justdeb hey look!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i'm close to obsessed when it comes to pre-check for Vegas. i have everything packed (checked off on the list) a week before.
    Even though i'm an over-achiever when it comes to packing for Vegas, i always forget something. Last year it was my Insulin Pen needles.
    it took almost an act of congress to get my doctor to call in a refill for them to the Albertsons on Boulder Highway.

20. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mani/pedi and hair done before we go, and usually a few new outfits each.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.