1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Main Street Station Trip Report 8/13 to 8/20

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by PPtraderal, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PPtraderal

PPtraderal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Delta flight out of Phila. via Atlanta flawless and on time. Return flight even early by about 15 minutes. We generally visit for a week each August or September. We received offers from a couple of hotels but opted for Main Street Station, generally we stay at the Nugget but gamble at the Boyd Properties, Four Queens, and Golden Nugget. Main Street Station is almost completley renovated. They're working on the last floor. We were on the fourth floor in an even number room. Why does an even number matter? All even number rooms face the freeway and railroad tracks. Additionally they face due east. As the Hotel does not have drapes, but rather the plastic slats on the windows you get the trifecta of freeway noise (not too bad), train traffic, ( can be loud), and the early am sun rise, (ouch). On the plus side the property is clean and well maintained, staff are friendly and appear to be long term employees who are happy at their jobs. On the negative side they have some iditoic ( for lack of a better word) rules. You can borrow a hair dryer for up to an hour, the same with an ironing board. I guess if you don' t return the dryer they whack you with the ironing board.
    The Boyd properties are consistenly inconsistent with regard to comp meals. The general rule is $ 500.00 coin circulated per day per person for a breakfast or lunch comp or $ 1,000.00 per couple. I believe this applies to slot play. I asked for a comp for breakfast at Main Street Station and you would thought I' d asked for their right arm. They were generous and gave me a comp for one. The next day with the same play I asked at the Fremont, no problem. I received two more the next day at the Fremont no problem. They track points but there's a catch in that ointment also. One dollar in slot play on a dollar machine will generate three points. Four quarters in play on a quarter machine will generate two points.
    There have been numerous questions about sports and race betting comps and free drinks so here's my experience. Caesar's Palace has gone corporate and now issues drink tickets when you bet. If you have a connection card they swipe it through the computer on each bet. It does generate some comp value. They do keep the drinks coming and it's still my favorite place to play ponies. Wynn's race book does not require drink tickets and service is frequent. Could not get a good read on comps. but I did not see anyone presenting a card. The room is really nice with big comfortable chairs like Bellagio. The Fremont downtown will give you a drink ticket for a six dollar horse wager or a twenty dollar sports wager. If you bet thirty dollars or so the maximum number of tickets they issue on each transaction is two. No comp points for sports or horses. Golden Nugget still puts you on the sheet (manual annotation) for horse wagers. They still issue drink tickets.
    So what's a week in Vegas without hitching the front end loader to the buffet table? Tried the Wynn for morning grazing ( aka, breakfast). The property is first rate and so is the food. Worth the visit, however breakfast for two with tax is $ 32.14. Bellagio's dinner is still excellent.
    Gaming wise this was not a profitable trip. Too many drinks and too much loose horse play but it's Vegas. My opinion on properties are these:
    Flamingo- Still can't pull a jackout of a machine with a tractor.
    Main Street Station- 6/5 Video poker????? For Shame
    Fremont- Lots of good action here
    Bellagio-Wifey wins here so I'm duty bound
    Wynn-How does my wife win in these fancy joints?
    Four Queens- Still some 8/5 Video Poker especially at the bar.
    O' Shea's-Still fun
    Circus, and Stardust needed to be imploded, word on the street in Vegas is that Stardust goes in 2006, to be followed by Frontier and Trop.
    Sorry for being somewhat technical but the board asks a lot of technical questions. Hope to do it again next Year. Al C

2. blackjack

blackjack Monkey!!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info Al. I hope you're wrong about Stardust. They need to make some changes & perhaps starting over will be the decision. I like it there with the exception of the drink service that we encountered.

Good info on the books - I don't even attempt to get any comps from them. Used to be you could at least get a buffet for $600 in wagers... not anymore. I'm staying at MSS at the end of September - any other info/stories that you want to share?

3. Jack21

Jack21 Guest

Great info on MSS, thanks....I feel myself strangely compelled towards the place- must be the craps tables that double as aircraft carriers during watime....

4. PPtraderal

PPtraderal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try for an odd number room. Video Poker selection especially at the full pay level is non-existent. The hotel is not bad. It's very clean with a generally friendly staff. Their buffet is still good. Breakfast is a great value at 5.75. The great video poker ( nickel progressive), bank by the California Bridge escalator is now all 6/5 and never crowded. I'd stay there again jsut some minor annoyances, I would have to have an odd numbered room due to noise. We were on the fourth floor and virtually at eye level with the freeway. High floors might be bettter. The Stardust appears to be a foregone conclusion. I like the dust but it;s already yesteray's news that it goes. It's going to be another venture like Borgota with Boyd and I think MGM Mirage. Enjoy your stay.

5. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drink tickets blow. Some of my most favorite Vegas time has been spent in the Caesar's book, but that could put a crimp in it.

But thanks for the info pptraderal.

6. SteveB

SteveB Low-Roller

Though MSS may have made the nickle progressive machines by the escalators 6/5 there is PLENTY of 9/6 and 8/5 bonus poker(3 and 5 plays).They also have 10/7 double bonus and FPDW.They can't make EVERY machine full pay.

SteveB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.