1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber/Lyft [Master]

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mganut, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mganut

mganut Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to the many positive posts here lately I decided to use Lyft and Uber exclusively during our stay last week and I thought that I would share our experiences.

Arrived at LAS on Southwest on Sunday afternoon. Activated Lyft request when I picked up our luggage and took the elevator up one floor to the parking garage and then the elevator up one floor to 2M. Within two minutes our driver showed up in a clean Lexus 350, loaded our luggage and provided each of us with a most welcome bottle of cold water. Our driver and our ride to Paris were pleasant and the fare totaled $11.04.

Monday afternoon took Lyft from Paris to New York/New York (we normally would have walked but my wife broke her foot just prior to the trip and was in an air cast). We were picked up in a immaculate Nissan Titan with an extremely personable driver. Fare was $6.87.

Monday evening took Lyft from Luxor back to Paris. Picked up by a very quiet but pleasant guy in an older Hyundai Elantra and the fare totaled $10.51.

Wednesday tried Uber from Planet Hollywood to MGM. We were picked up in a spotless 2014 Honda Pilot for the quick trip that totaled $6.95. We took Uber back to Paris from Tropicana later that afternoon in a very clean Infinity M35 with a great driver for a total fare of $6.43.

Thursday afternoon took Lyft from Paris to Venetian in a clean Toyota Corolla with a personable driver for a total fare of $6.70.

Friday used Lyft back to LAS in a clean Toyota Camry for a total fare of $9.02. We were dropped off at Southwest curbside check in and he unloaded our luggage.

When I signed up for Lyft, they had a promotion that automatically gave me five free rides (up to $10 credit) so as a result, many of our rides were actually free. The fares that I stated were actual and I tipped additionally based strictly on service.

All in all I am extremely pleased with both companies and will use both them exclusively on all future trips. I am so done with the Las Vegas taxi experience.

2. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great to hear.

Thanks for sharing.

3. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a similar experience and I agree!

4. 6Mermaids

6Mermaids Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a dumb question...are there signs showing you where to go to meet your Lyft/Uber driver? I want to take an Uber when I am there next time but I am not sure where to go.

5. mganut

mganut Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a dumb question at all as this is new to everyone and to the hotels as well.

At the airport just follow the Ride Share signs to the pick up location. Most of the hotels are posting signage as to ride share or Uber/Lyft pick up locations.

At Paris it is the side door on the road facing Bally's where the airport and tour shuttles pick up and drop off. At Caesar's there is a Uber/Lyft sign posted in the valet and limo area of the front circle. The Venetian just moved it from the elevator entrance in the parking garage to the front circle valet area.

It is a new process and in flux but just ask the bellman at your hotel for the location. I think you will find the difference amazing.

6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love it. Competition is a great thing.

7. 6Mermaids

6Mermaids Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you so much!

8. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Am definitely going to give them a try out in Feb!

9. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My biggest preference for ride sharing is that the drivers rate customers and vice versa. Because of this I have yet to meet an asshole driver on these services. Cab drivers that are assholes are ten a penny.

10. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't tried Uber yet in Vegas but I have used Lyft now a few times and I agree with your assessment.

11. caycemd

caycemd Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you! I have been researching and also plan to use Lyft and Uber exclusively on my next trip. I'm glad to hear the experience is much better than the typical Las Vegas taxi experience.

I actually stopped going downtown after taxi drivers would take the freeway going back to where we were staying (Hilton Grand Vacation Club). If we told them upfront not to take the freeway, they would tell us to get out. After many arguments with taxi drivers, I decided the fun I had downtown wasn't worth the hassle at the end of the night.

We used to drive to Vegas since we lived in Phoenix but now we live in San Francisco Bay Area and are flying in. I was dreading the many taxi arguments I knew would happen since they would be our only transportation (my husband refuses to take the bus!). :rolleyes2:

12. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice

+1 totally agree with Vic
    Love the innovation & no more worries about "please don't tunnel me bro!"

13. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does everything still have to be done via phone? I don't have a smart phone.

14. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have one either...I was summoning them on an Ipad. Kinda cumbersome to carry around but it worked.
    Also they like to call you to pinpoint your exact location. I have an old flip phone so they contacted me on that.
    I imagine they would still be able to find you without the phone call.

15. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have an iPad either.

16. georgesken

georgesken Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone know how to make left work for a foreigner?
    I downloaded the app but then you have to give your phone number and it does not accept my belgian number...

Any advice?

17. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder about the business model for an individual driver. How can you pay off your Lexus, pay insurance, repairs and gas and then earn enough for rent at those rates? An old Hyundai, sure but are these people former cabbies or switching from another job or using it as a second job. It seems like this is here to stay just not sure if the pendulum will start to swing back at some point

18. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a US SIM card for use while you are there, along with a pay as you go plan.

Or get a cheap phone in the US that includes some airtime.

You can buy these at Walgreen's or CVS.

Here's an example from TracFone

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/Start.do?action=view&zip=89101&locale=en&siteType=TR&market=COGSM5&gotoPhonelist=true&productFamily=Phones&AID=&__utma=18401020.668434698.1453215838.1453215838.1453215838.1&__utmb=18401020.8.10.1453215838&__utmc=18401020&__utmx=-&__utmz=18401020.1453215838.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=%28not%20provided%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=255648136&city=null&state=null

19. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its mostly a 2nd job for extra cash....beats delivering pizza's as a night job i guess

20. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. Thanks for posting Op.
    But with all those rides needed, just wondering why
    you didn't get a rental car for your trip? Just curious.....

I haven't tried either Lyft or Uber.... yet.... cuz I always get a Rental car. (Thx to early days of awful taxis.)
    But if the hotels all start charging for parking?
    Then will be a deterrent for a rental car. Thats probably when I will look into this.:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.