1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Maui Hawaii - Who's been and what to do there?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by dfalk, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This summer I'm going to Maui on a family trip for a week and I'm guessing there's a handful of people on this board who have been there before. I've pretty much only vacationed to Vegas for the last 5 years so this is looking to be a totally different experience. Gonna stay on the west side, Lahaina specifically. Those who have been, what are some things worth checking out? Right now I'm thinking just relaxing on the beach, doing some snorkeling, and a sunset booze cruise.

2. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a fan of the Maui ocean center...if you golf, there's some good golf...if you've got kids there's a neat mini golf place on maalaea road, near ish to the aquarium (i think? I forget)

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have a car rental pack a lunch and explore the road to Hana. Try and pick a clear,sunny day. day if possible.Many things to see and experience . Wear swimsuits if you want and take a dip in the 7 sacred pools.. Try and leave early,its a full day . If you do this check with a bunch of locals about continuing around the Island rather than taking the road to Hana back. We werent supposed to take our rental van out there but we did it anyway. Very remote road ,we actually forded streams ,had horses come up and lick our windows great scenery ,a real adventure.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kauai and the BI are our "go-to" islands but we've been to Maui four or five times, and are starting to get to know the island.

Take your snorkel gear or rent for the duration of your trip and always keep it in the car -- you just never know where you might want to stop. The gem is down southwest, from Makena south and at La Perouse Bay. It takes scrambling and hunting for the latter but worth it -- always be aware of your surroundings. The Kihei beaches are so-so in this regard -- turbid, often lotsa seaweed. If conditions are right Kapalua Bay can be outstanding and is relatively sheltered for the lesser skilled/less sure. Avoid the other coves and bays up north there unless you are a seasoned ocean-goer or unless it is benign.

Go upcountry, check out the local produce/farm-to-fork scene. Eat at Hali'imaile General Store. Buy meat and cheese and produce, cook at your condo, decorate with the flowers you bought.

The Maui Ocean Center is OK/a good intro to the waters for first timers.

Lahaina is touristy. Then again, Wailea could be high-end retail/hotel anywhereville. (We prefer the Wailea-Makena end of things during our stays.) Love Merriman's Monkeypod in Wailea. I don't often suggest these things but have a burger at Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina, hanging out over the water, looking at Lana'i. There's a Sanuk shop in Lahaina where I stock up for the year or two ahead and we are absolute suckers for Honolulu Cookie Company cookies (more so now that the stoners over at Broke Da Mouth Bakery in Kahului closed down). While in Lahaina find the landmark lamented by the Eagles in "The Last Resort."

If you want to talk Maui golf, drop me a PM or email; I won't belabor it here if it is of no interest.

If you drive to Hana -- and the next time we stay at Travaasa we've decided to fly over, there are so many places on all the islands to get that kind of "experience" and after half a drive the novelty wears off -- do ignore the dire warnings from the rental car company and drive all the way back around. LONG day. And do check locally past the park as to conditions before you proceed. Hike the Pipiwai Trail up to the falls.

Costco is your friend and you can back door it from the gas station to the airport.

Find Eskimo Candy Seafood Market and Cafe in Kihei. Find it!

Kick around Paia -- cute little town.

Did the Haleakala sunrise thing once -- it's freakin' early and cold. Surreal hiking up top, and walking around you realize how quickly these seemingly low-slung islands climb out of Big Blue.

We did snuba off the beach at Kaanapali. It's fun for those not dive-certified though I'd opt for an off-shore/from-the-boat experience because, lets face it, Black Rock "fame" aside -- and freakin' crowds -- the Kaanapali front isn't that reef-rich. Regardless, snuba is fun and here's something I wrote on it for the Times a few years back: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/17/travel/la-tr-snuba-20110417

That's a start, I'll get back as I think of other things. I'm jealous, so cool you're going over. We didn't make it to the islands in 2015 and after three trips in 2014 and once or twice the preceding X years, we are in withdrawals. Hopefully this spring.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I was raised on Maui many years ago. Graduated and left there for college on Oahu and have lived on Oahu the past 35 years. I do go back and visit the friends and relatives regularly. Your suggestions and other's suggestions sound about right, just "hand loose", relax, enjoy the scenery, do some snorkeling and a sunset booze cruise and you will be fine.

just remember that there are a lot of tourists and traffic so make sure you give extra time to get from one place to another.

there are weekly guides that you can check out to see what is going on and what the prices are for some tours. I would highly recommend the Molokini snorkeling tour, Molokini is a crater shell in the water and a wildlife preserve so there are tons of fish and things to see in the water.

this week in maui guide:
    http://www.hidili.com/thisWeekPublications/thisweekmaui/current/#?page=0

spotlight Hawaii:
    http://www.spotlighthawaii.com/

Aloha maui magazine:
    http://alohamauimagazine.com/

6. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with both makikiboy and ken2v. I've only been to Maui once. I do, however live on Oahu. To be quite honest, I like Kauai the best. If I had a choice to visit the island for a vacation, it would be: Kauai, Maui, then the Big Island last. I just don't like Kona or Hilo on the Big Island. Of course, there's no other island I'd rather live on other than Oahu. There's just way more to do and way more to see....and way more things are open.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's it, like all the my-way-of-Vegas-is-best that goes on around here, different people have different likes when it comes to islands. Hopefully folks get a chance to check 'em all out at some point and come to their own conclusions. Terri and I have decided preferences and dislikes. We have friends who go about as often as we do and they are in a different camp than us. There is no best. There is different. And yes, though all are essentially little volcanic dots as far removed from mass civilization as any place on earth, each does "Hawai'i" its own way. Waimea Canyon or the wilds of Molokai v. the mania of Honolulu? The volcanic desert of Kohala yet rainforest and snow-peaked mountains are just miles away? Disney-esque megaresort v. upcountry bungalow? Great local food v. all the damn chains? Waikiki mobs v. Na Pali Coast isolation?

8. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome advice guys! Thanks for taking the time to write it up, now I get to spend 4 months planning.

9. Ernie Vegas

Ernie Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spent a few Christmases on Maui staying in Lahaina, but it has been a few years since I've been back. Front Street is pretty much a t-shirt shop next to a jewelry store next to an art gallery next to an ABC/Whaler's General store, with some decent restaurants mixed in. I love it. lol

The only decent beach in Lahaina is Baby Beach, between the Hard Rock and the Cannery Mall. Shallow for a long way out with very little break near shore. There is a small section of sand south of the harbor, where the surf schools give lessons. I recommend Goofy Foot if you want to give that a go. Cheeseburger in Paradise has an awesome location and an interesting story, but if you want a good burger go to Cool Cats on the third floor of the Wharf Cinema Center across from the banyan tree. For late night food and drink there is Lahaina Coolers on Dickensen. There is a lot of history in Lahaina and I have always enjoyed just walking around town between the "highway" and Front St. Pamphlets for a self-guided walking tour are easily found.

Plenty of sunset cruises and charter fishing options at the harbor, too. Unfortunately you will miss the whales as they head back to Alaska by mid-April. Between Ka'anapali and Kapalua is a great beach at Napili Bay. And you can start that day with breakfast at the Gazebo if you don't mind waiting in line.

Enjoy your trip and remember - Maui No Ka Oi!

10. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got back from my first trip to Maui
    pretty much agree with Ken2V and makikiboy

the IAO state park is beautiful too

Aloha and have fun

11. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed on Paia. Anyone mention Mama's Fish House yet? One of my favorite restaurants anywhere.

Also agreed.

I see you're staying in Lahaina, but to me there's a world of difference about 15 minutes north to the Napili area. Like Ken mentioned, Lahaina is touristy. Napili feels very natural to me, and I love even a little further north when the Cook Pines show up around Kapalua. Driving up around the northwest tip of the island can be fun, too, and feels a world away pretty quickly after passing Kapalua. There are some natural pools to be discovered when the tide is right.

If you have any interest in snorkeling with sea turtles, go to Honokeana Cove in the Napili area. Tons of them every day.

The farmer's market in Honokowai can be a fun spot to buy some veggies, etc., if you're staying in a place with a kitchen.

12. hard6

hard6 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aloooohhaaaaaa!
    Born and raised on Maui, a few things to check out from a local's point of view:
    Towns of Makawao, Kula
    Buy a "plate lunch"
    Try "poke"
    World famous Hookipa beach park
    Boat ride to the island of Lanai
    Haleakala for the sunrise, ride down on a bike from 10,000 feet up

Enjoy!!

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I survived the Road To Hana and I have the T-shirt to prove it. :)

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mark, Mama's is one of those places. Worth a visit even as it assaults your wallet. But that the islands, and of course you balance it out with the locals places or buying fresh and grilling it back at the abode.

Bit of a schedule change here recently. Looks like Maui in April/May as we're heading to Lanai. Then I'll tack on Kauai and maybe the BI, too.

15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow, were you the driver or the passenger? I get car sick if I don't drive so I always have to drive the road to Hana or else I end up puking.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pull over, put the convertible top down. Drive four minutes, pull over, put it up. Drive 10 minutes, pull over, put it down. Etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.