1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is it me - or is any one else getting annoyed with getting healthy.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First -- I am not being political here --- this is about my employer doubling down on insurance requirements for our "health conscious" discount This started way before the health care laws and has nothing to with it -- so please don't take anything I say political.

I have been employed by my hospital for the last 13+ years. Every year at our annual insurance renewal they trot out the new requirements needed for the "healthy" discount. We have to document daily activities, dental exams, physicals, fruits, veggies, weight, etc. Over the last few years I have gained a lot of weight, but I am fairly active and I really try to diet and exercise. I do not smoke or drink (much) -- not counting Vegas. We have a web site called simply well we have to document all this cr$p on. Then I get quarterly calls from a nurse to see how I am doing. My triglycerides, and cholesterol are great -- Thank goodness for good genes. My family doctor can't believe with my current state that my labs are great -- he is a health **** and he told me his are terrible.

Any way I am complaining because I am not an organized person and I hate having to stay up with all this crap. -- If we don't stay compliant with our documentation we lose our discount for a year. When we submit our yearly screening answers I always get a referral to AA and for a psychiatrist because I admit to 3-4 drinks a week and I answer yes to is my job stressful.

2. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Say buh bye to the healthy discount... Ironically your blood pressure will drop.

Nick:beer:

3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats rediculous. ..consult a labor atty
    Stay out of my personal life Boss

Full disclosure! I just had 4 scrambled eggs and 8 pcs of bacon for breffus

4. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is a labor attorney going to do? This is an opt-in/ opt-out program.

Nick:beer:

5. JennyTalia

JennyTalia Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would annoy me. How much is the discount? Is the discount worth your time/energy? You can't put a price on mental health! Nothing wrong with 3-4 drinks a week or admitting your job is stressful. I'd reply to the referral for the psychiatrist and AA and tell them to shove it.

6. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of the truly healthy people don't even bother with it because they are busy with family etc -- and they are the ones that exercise every day. This year if I don't make improvements in my BP and my BMI I may not get the discount next year. But yet they don't penalize the anorexic women with early osteoporosis ready to break a hip - because they are not over weight.

7. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a forced tax to me....every gets this discount except people who don't comply

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made it to 70 by keeping active and drinking a lot. Mrs. says I'm too miserable to die. Really think it's the genes good hearty Dutch/German peasant stock.

9. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh and the smokers and smokeless tobacco users -- they quadruple down on them. I don't see how any smoker can afford it. I used to smoke socially but now I am too afraid I'll get asked to pee in a cup to check for nicotine. I have had to do that once. The hospital will not hire anyone who smokes. Many new employees lie about their smoking and then get canned after they test positive for nicotine.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our program gives discounts for non smoking and participating in a wellness program that requires a survey, a basic screening for BP, cholesterol, etc. The rest is incentive based to encourage you to get healthy with points that can be cashed in for gift cards and the like. I figure sooner or later some of those carrots will turn into sticks.

11. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, I thought my company's program was bad, but that is ridiculous. We have to either undergo a yearly screening or (this was added after enough people raised holy hell) get a form signed by our Dr that we did a wellness checkup and understand what steps we need to take to be healthier. That gets me one discount, and certifying to being a non smoker gets me another.

I was one of the disgruntled when the screenings and nurse follow ups via the company was being forced. It's none of their goddamned business what I weigh or how many fruits I eat a day. I foresee the requirements for the discount becoming only becoming more stringent as time passes. Reason #365,765 why I'm looking forward to quitting this rat race sooner than later.

12. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For better or worse, this is actually directly related to health care laws...

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/healthreform/regulations/wellnessprograms.html

13. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    why shouldn't people that try to be healthy pay less for insurance than people that care less about their health?

14. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snidely +1.

Stop smoking. Lose 50 pounds, Exercise. OTOH, 3-4 drinks per week is actually beneficial, most studies say. No fair penalizing you for that, unless they have good reason to believe you are lying about how much you drink.

15. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that those who strive to be healthy should have lower rates. But it is not always the case that the healthy tri-athelete type costs the insurance company less. Many overly active people engage in activities that put them at risk for costly injuries. Skiing being one of them. -- I have multiple friends that have blown their knees out skiing -- they get them fixed --- and as soon as the next season is around -- they are back on the slopes. Surgery and physical therapy is costly. Motorcycle riding, sky diving, scuba diving. Some life insurance policies have exclusions but most health insurance policies pay for injuries received engaging in risky activities.

I am 54 years old and other than a tonsillectomy at 3 years old and childbirth when I was 20 -- I have never stayed overnight in a hospital. On outward appearance I may not have the bmi the insurance company wants. But I guarantee you I have not cost them as much as many of their "healthy" clients. -- But yet I am the one they want to penalize.

Should a healthy women who wants six children pay less than me when she actually costs my employer more with FMLA 3 months at the least of missed work for each pregnancy. The hospitalization of 6 pregnancies alone -- and that is if there are no complications. Plus you tack on the 6 kiddos onto the policies and all the time missed from work because of having six children. That "healthy" employee may actually be costing you more. We, my employer, are self insured and we have a company that manages the policies. If there is a shortfall that year the hospital has to pay more into the insurance kitty the next year.

16. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Val, I think they want everybody to lose weight if they are over weight. I used to always try to keep my weight down when I was working because no body was fat in my office. I was the one with a few extra pounds. So I worked hard at trying to keep my weight down.

I am retired now and I eat some health foods because they happen to have less chemicals that are bad for me. For example: I bought me some strawberry ice cream and it was cheaper and better for me than the other brands. It was really interesting.

I sometimes like having a drink before bed time. I like to eat deserts every day. I eat fried foods, salads when I feel like it and not for health reasons, I love to eat fruits. I try to lose weight but it is not important any more because I am retired and don't care anymore about my weight. My young doctor has a big fat belly and looks pregnant. lol. He never says I should lose weight. lol.

Val, forget the health money. It is just a way to control how people eat. Don't lose your freedom to eat what you want to eat or drink. That is just too much control. Some people were born to enjoy eating and some people just eat because they have to eat to live. I was born to enjoy eating.
    It doesn't matter if you are a few extra pounds. My old dad ate whatever he wanted to eat and he lived until he was 96yrs. old. My old mom likes to eat mostly pancakes and take out junk foods and she is 94yrs. old. I am a senior and strangers are always telling me I look young for my age. I think I will live to be 100 yrs.old like my great grandmother who ate mostly meats and eggs.
    I eat all the foods that are considered bad for me and I am still here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.