1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SW fares "sold out!" Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by hotreds, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I check fares for my March trip daily. Today I noticed that all the "wanna get away" fares for my return trip date are sold out. I'm getting nervous and wonder if I should go ahead and buy the $212 fare for the outbound trip as one way and hope that the return leg prices will come down, or should I just wait for one of those "super deals" to appear? Anybody that flies out of the DC area have any feel for fares?

I understand fares are a bit of a crap shoot, but as someone who really hasn't cared until recently perhaps some on this forum have become experts and could advise........

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my experience with SW and in my not so humble opinion, SW doesn't mark the Wanna Get Away fares as sold out until they are confident that they can fill the plane with higher-paying customers.

3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would buy now before they get to $300. Remember that both of the upper classes of fares are fully refundable.

I had that dilemma on CET "TV Weekend". I made a value call between the price of the flight and the dollar value of the TV. The trip and the TV won . . . .

CET TV weekend is also the weekend after CES.

4. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember even with "Wanna Get away" you can change if price drops and get a voucher good for 1 year from when you booked it if you travel a lot it is no big deal.

5. NCAAHoops

NCAAHoops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe SW for a few days in March has no problem filling the flights in and out of Vegas. Most of the days are due to March Madness. In the past for my March trips I find the price does not really decrease. I guess they are on to us and know degen and MM go hand in hand

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With SW - always book the current best fare. It goes up way more often than it comes down.

7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to disagree with you on this, it seems like they hold special sales every so many months, dropping rates, some to $49 specials for certain legs. Unfortunately the popular time periods (like March and especially during March madness week) are grossly overpriced but only because they know that people want to attend and will pay the grossly overpriced rates.

Hotreds, if you fly on SW at least 1 or 2 times a year I would highly recommend booking your trip now. If prices drop you can always rebook at the lower rate and get a credit for future trips but by booking now you are locked in and don't have to worry if the prices start to rise.

Except for the popular time periods I have been able to find lower rates so I rebooked and got a credit for my next trip. But it also depends on where you are flying to and from, some routes just doesn't seem to see any price drops.

8. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the advice! I will book the outbound leg now and wait for hopefully something good on the return- and check with other airlines as well. I'm thinking that for future trips I might narrow down exact dates based on prices of flights. I've already booked some shows, so I can't fudge dates too much at this point! Ah, you live and learn!

9. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, OK. I went ahead and booked the return via AA First Class. The price really wasn't that much more than any other prices I found for a non stop flight with good departure and arrival times with all the add-ons. And those seats look mighty comfortable and I understand they actually feed you a decent meal as well! I'm only sorry that heading east isn't the longer way time wise! I've learned my lesson to book when the price looks good, and to look into midweek to midweek rather than Sun- Fri travel. You live and learn, I reckon- I HOPE!

10. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got $360 return {non stop} from DCA to LAS March 14-17 the other day.

11. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My departure date in the 27th.

12. skbenz

skbenz Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are simply priced based on demand. Usually, you need to pounce on the fares for March Madness when the dates become available to book to get the best rates. If the rate goes down, you can re-book and have credit for a year, so unless you and everyone you know doesn't fly very often, you should book ASAP and periodically check for the lower rates.

It should also be noted that you can book hotel rooms a year in advance and that the rates can be very good when you do that. Most hotels offer a 48-hour cancellation policy and many don't want the money until you check-in, so you are at no risk to book something. That being said, hotels may overbook, so once you've decided that you are committed, you could consider paying for the room to guarantee it's available.

13. hotreds

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hotels I have been having good luck with. Indeed, I usually book my next trip the minute I return from my previous one- and seem to get the best prices at that point. But, I do check these almost daily as they are, in fact, easy to cancel. Even though flying back First Class is more than I wanted to spend, I figured that for 1/3 more I get to be truly comfortable and see how the other half lives; so to speak. I have learned my lesson and will grab the cheap fare as soon as I see it. Hopefully we go back in November again- the fares for that month are not out yet, but should be by the time I return home in April. Then again, if FC does not renew its deal with CET, I likely won't be going anywhere.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.