1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA CMH (Columbus) vs CLE (Cleveland)

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by POPO2012, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After double digit years of flying out of Columbus, Ohio next trip has been booked, and now twice rebooked out of Cleveland. We have a 25 minute drive to CMH and a 2 hour drive to CLE. Flights from Columbus are no less than $211 each way. Flights out of Cleveland as of this morning, $103 for flight to Vegas (Feb. 21) and $93 for return flight (Feb.24). None of us really interested in driving that far but at $200 savings each we said why not. Hopefully Rickenbacher will get in the game soon.

2. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm the opposite. I've watched CMH for years in hopes of finding a deal worth driving for, but never have. Be advised that CLE Hopkins is in the process of stuffing herself into a size 2 prom gown for next summer. It's a mess up there- like a maze. Allow extra time.

3. boondocksnt5

boondocksnt5 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah we live about half way in between Cleveland and Columbus, so I check both regularly. Have you checked rates out or Akron/Canton (CAK)? We got a real good deal last month. I think they are keeping their non-stop service until April.

4. bratkar

bratkar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually just changed my Cleveland flight to Akron, so I could avoid all that mess going on there. Flight was more, but its worth it, that I don't have to deal with that mess.

Like everyone else, I look between Cleveland, Columbus Akron and Pittsburgh for our best deals.. Its all a toss up.. Cleveland has had some great rates as of late, which hasn't always been the case

Kelli

5. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live 20 minutes north of CMH, but will be driving to Cleveland next Tuesday to fly to Las Vegas on Spirit. $46 round trip compared to $700 on Southwest out of Columbus. :eek:

Checking flights one week from today (all nonstop):

Spirit - Cleveland to Las Vegas roundtrip - $66
    Southwest - Cleveland to Las Vegas roundtrip - $196
    Southwest - Columbus to Las Vegas roundtrip - $933 :thumbsdown:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  6. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let us know how Spirit treats you. A friend has her flight at Vegas cancelled out of Cleveland without warning a few weeks ago. Not sure if that was a unique thing or not.

We've considered Allegiant or Spirit for similar reasons - cheap fares, for when we don't have comp tickets through other means.

7. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew to Las Vegas from Cleveland on Spirit in November too. I paid for the Big Front Seat on the way there and took a window seat on the way back. Both flights left on time. Yes the seats are cramped, yes they charge for bags (checked or carried on), and yes they charge for drinks on board, but I knew that ahead of time. I've flown Spirit several times and have not had an issue with them and $46 for a roundtrip flight to Vegas, I can't complain too much. :thumbsup:

8. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uh oh is it a traffic mess ? Heading up on a Sunday afternoon will that be any help towards our demise ??

9. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious also, I am headed out of CLE in a week... what's going on, just a lot of construction? Is the problem outside (traffic) or inside (ticketing, concourses, security, etc)?

10. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Traffic is not a big deal to CLE Hopkins except during rush hours. They are remodeling the terminal in preparation for the 2016 RNC. You'll face long lines, and it's easy to get lost.

CAK was my airport of choice until Southwest ran out most of the competition. Now it's not competitive much of the time, even though I live 15 minutes away. Our hope at the moment is that Allegiant might start regular Vegas nonstops. Nothing planned far as I know.

11. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Columbus used to be a good value, but (at least at the times I prefer to travel) it just hasn't been in the last year or two. I saved a couple hundred by flying out of Cleveland for my July trip, but it was a pain in the ass as I only live about 20 minutes NW of Columbus so CMH is significantly closer. My brother lives in Cleveland so I didn't have to pay for parking or anything, otherwise I would've been stuck between a rock and a hard place.

12. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am looking at rates for spring/summer and may have to look at CLE. CMH just is not the bargain it use to be. If I can get the time off work I may just do the drive as I discussed on here previously though, especially if gas prices stay where they are.

13. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about Dayton? I remember good rates out of there in the past.

14. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't seen any solid values out of Dayton in a long time, at least since before Frontier left. I live between Dayton and Cincinnati and use always travel to either Ind or Cmh to fly Southwest, I would save nearly 150 min each time instead of using Cvg or Day. sadly the days of cheap SW flights out of Ind and Cmh seem to be gone, I have been finding better values at CVG using Frontier for no stops to Vegas. Sub 200.00 sometimes!

15. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live 30 mins east of CMH. I haven't gotten a good SWA fare since 2010. I did just see a good fare for this month flying United. It was one stop out and back but only $216 rt. I hate the thought of driving to CLE but I would if price was right and had a couple people or so.

16. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did not realize that Frontier left Dayton. When we lived outside Cinci, we flew out of Dayton, Indy, Lexington or Louisville- never CVG!

17. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Captainron62 sounds like your maybe a Newark guy I'm a Lancaster guy nice to meet ya.

18. Cinwhim

Cinwhim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, we're in Columbus and can't find a decent price out either. My husband prefers a direct flight so Southwest is it for us. We flew back from Orlando to Rickenbacker this Sept with Allegiant and though there were problems with the doors when we landed, it was a good experience. We are going to fly out of CVG to LAS the end of Feb. I got $48 and $58 rates on cyber Monday plus had $100 vouchers from MyVegas if I also booked us for at least 2 nights hotel.
    I figure with what we paid for the 3 of us to fly, with 2 pieces of luggage, upgraded seats, 2 rooms for 2 nights and parking for the week we are still paying less than half than what we would thru Southwest. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

19. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im a former Newark guy, until a year ago. Now I am a Canal Winchester guy

20. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, those SW cmh-las $211 flights are a real turn off.......................:Þ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.