1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Age Appropriate Things You Are "supposed

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Camp Rusty, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So.......reflecting on things I enjoy that I, or should I say we, according to the responses from the other post shouldn't really like.

What age appropriate things are you supposed to do but don't.

I can't really do or underatand Opera, or the Ballet. I can sort of get in to classical music, but certainly don't put it on the home stereo.
    Not a huge fan of PBS British crime dramas either.

(Sorry for the bad title......ended up pushing submit instead for review, great, now I have a premature posting problem......is there a pill for that ?)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. WhskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhskeyTangoFoxtrot MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exercise.

I walk 3 miles 3x/week....but I should do it more. I actually enjoy it, but it seems like my meniscal tears need the in-between days to settle down.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doing crossword puzzles,watching Fox News, Quiz Shows and the Stock Market network.
    Senior passtimes I dont do.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mentioned in the other thread that I could eat off a kids menu anywhere and be happy... well my mind and taste-buds may enjoy it, but my "exhaust" system is telling me I need more whole-grains and fiber! Ughhhhh!!! I'm pretty good at the exercise portion of the program, but negate it by my poor eating habits.

5. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Occasionally I have a craving for chicken strips and fries. That's quintessential kids meal. Granted I do eat a wide variety of foods, sometimes I need that.

Also all my friends are spewing out spawn like it's going out of style. Most are on the 2nd or 3rd or getting in that 1st one before the risk of pregnancy becomes too iffy.

6. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^^This^^^

Hubby and I opted out of spawning back in the day. So now instead of babysitting grandkids, I get to travel, volunteer, go the gym, run, etc.

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got into a motorcycle accident in June.

Broke my ankle, a bunch if ribs, collar bone, hand.

Was in a wheel chair for a bit but better now.

Just got finished with a squat and deadlift workout about 15 minutes ago.

Cant run yet but will start that in a few weeks. Still getting back up to walking at a decent clip.

Going to run a half marathon this time next year.

Just got back from riding my motorcycle to the beach.

lesson learned- not much of one other then doctors really want to pump you full of unneeded meds.

i took about 3 pain pill after the surgery and tossed the rest. Told the doctor about it and they were shocked. They said most people eat a 2 months supply in a week and come begging for more. not that i am tougher then others, i just am leary of falling into that trap.

8. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to the doctor. I know I should...and I know at some point I'll regret that I didn't, but I haven't been for any sort of check up in over 10 years.......maybe next week :ssst:

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol. Glad I'm not the only one. Haven't seen a doctor (other than a dentist) since '02. Haven't had a physical since '92. :eek: Not really sure what my hang up is but I avoid the doctor's office like the plague (maybe it's something in the water here in the Old Dominion). Turning 41 soon and the back is really acting up as I've upped the workout intensity of late...probably gonna have to bite the bullet sometime soon. We'll see.

10. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the taste of whole grains and many other foods considered healthy. I like to cook simply and make food from scratch. I hate the smell of tobacco smoke. I don't like salty food or big portions of meat. I like to drink alcohol but get a nasty headache if I have too much, so I stop at one or two. I enjoy walking. My doctor is a friendly guy who always has something interesting to say.

None of the above is a choice I have made because somebody said it would allow me to live longer. It's just dumb luck that I like more good things and don't like as many bad things.

11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kudos! Job well done! I just got out of my walking boot last week after breaking both lower leg bones, shattering my ankle and tearing all sorts of ligaments. Not as dramatic, I was fishing and stood up too fast and fainted, left foot stayed planted where it was and kaboom.

I took the pain pills, but never refilled. After the doc set the bones, which was agonizing, I never really felt any pain.

I hated losing my independence.

Sorry to hijack your thread, OP.

In response, I really should take advantage of the free gym and pool at the Navy base where I used to work.

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go as soon as you can. Get a colonoscopy. Early detection is the best cure.

P.S. Don't be scared, they give you some great drugs before inserting the silver bullet.

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't live in an age-restricted community and never will. Actually, does "age appropriate" still exist? The cycle of work/kids/life/retirement is so different for boomers and likely for subsequent gens.

For the doctorphobes, familiarize yourselves with the end of Warren Zevon's life and going in for those checkups might not sound like a bad thing.

14. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the advice Ken...very familiar with Warren Z's life and demise, having read his former wife's biography of him, and having been a lifetime fan.... Don't consider myself a 'doctorphobe', but rather a procrastinator fully aware of consequences.

15. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the concept of 'age appropriate' still exists in the minds of some people. Take a look through the 'which hotel for me' threads and you will see plenty of examples of VMB folks applying an 'age criteria' to their recommendations of suitable hotels for first-time Vegas visitors.

For many of us in the younger boomer group, I think 50 is the new 30. Many of us are staying much more physically active than previous generations, so it makes sense that we would not apply the older generation's concept of age-appropriate to our lives.

16. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Second the colonoscopy. It's usually covered 100%. Prep is not that bad. Procedure is quick and painless. Recovery is very fast, and the vast majority experience no side effects from the anesthetic.

Mid-thirties, my head told me to drink less. At 45, my elbow told me to quit playing tennis. At 66, my knees told me to quit playing wallyball. Listen to your body.

17. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the doctor thing.

My husband hadn't been to the doctor in 13 years. He never got sick but, it still worried me that he never went to the doctor. He went for his first big boy check up around his birthday when he was 43. It probably saved his life. Our family doctor said he was sending all his over 40's to the dermatologist for a baseline exam. My husband is a strawberry blond with the freckles and moles. She did a number of small biopsies and a cluster of 3 came back as b-cell lymphoma. Not melanoma. Lymphoma. He had these squished red gummy bear looking moles that kind of looked like a rash or those tiny blood blisters high up on his arm. They had been there as long as I knew him. They weren't even the moles she had been concerned about. She just took the biopsies because why not take them. He had more tests and we decided to go as aggressive as possible. They removed the moles with a big margin and did a course of 20 radiation treatments on the site. Lymphoma stays with you so he'll always be watched closely. But, they still have the option of chemo and more radiation in the future if needed. Most people with this type of story die of other things, it's never a problem again. He now goes to the doc regularly and takes good care of himself. Maybe you're OK with the consequences but people close to you might not be. Sure, they might not catch everything and there's other stuff that can kill you and blah blah blah. I think it's just due diligence. Try to take care of the basics and let other stuff take care of itself.

And as a veteran of several colonoscopies...it's only the prep that's unpleasant. The drugs are so awesome you have no idea anybody is even touching your behind, let alone putting in tubing and checking stuff out. If you're with it enough you can watch it on the screen, which is trippy. But, you'll probably sleep through it. It's no big deal. I've had way worse in terms of diagnostics and procedures and whatnot.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know that it's as much a physical fitness thing as it just is a morphed mindset; I'm in horrid shape but I'll also jump on a mtb and try not to die at Mammoth. I guess a big part of it is boomers were the first American generation that didn't have it tough, save the poor bastards swept up in Vietnam. We're more casual, exploratory. My god, I look at pictures of my grandparents' generation, a half-gen after them, and they looked old when they were young.

19. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read and article in a magazine that basically said, a competent doctor can give you the same results as a physical after having an honest, in-depth conversation with you about your diet and exercise. Not the level percentages down to the second decimal point, but if you need to drink more wine than beer. Of course we all know we should exercise, use olive oil instead of deep fried, drink water instead of soda, etc. So if we do what we know we should, we don't necessarily need the blood test. Now the heart monitor and prostate exam, that's kind of a different story.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I was as dumb lucky as you.

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Colonoscopy, mammogram, regular eye exam, semi-regular full physical. ("You're not really overweight yet, just don't push it!") :( Semi-regular dental checkup. I don't suggest skipping any of those! We have a family history of skin cancer and I spent a lot of time in the sun in my younger years so I watch that carefully and have the doctor check out anything that looks odd.

Now, as to the things I don't do. They said I would give up the sporty type low-riding cars when I got to this age and go with a 4-door sedan or SUV. No {expletive} way! I still drive and love my little Mitsubishi! I don't do opera, ballet, or crosswords, although I can find myself geeking out on sudoku occasionally. I love classical concerts and I love (real) rock concerts. I'll occasionally go to a local bar where they have a good rock band playing and I swear I'm the oldest lady in the place! I do watch the markets. I have a 401k and an IRA, and keep an eye on them!

I do not have any plans to retire. I actually enjoy what I do and the people (even clients) I work with. I'll probably retire when I'm finally forced out during the next economic downturn.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.