1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Double Bonus Poker

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Pizzaman, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would like to focus on video poker on my next trip downtown. Any thoughts on double bonus. Where to play? Will be staying at the Fremont and I am a b connected member. Thanks

2. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My thoughts are that you should have the bankroll as well as the stomach to withstand the high variance at this game. You can lose half a royal, easily, in a few of hours in a day playing in this game. The strategy is a lot more complicated than Jacks or Better and takes time to learn.

3. DESPERADO

DESPERADO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you're in BConnected, either the Cal or MSS is your best bet. Find the full pay machines. Ask here if you don't know how. Sam's is good, also, if you want to go that far.

You must know the strategy differences between DB and JOB. 4oaks are key in this game, and if you don't get 'em for a while, you will lose a lot. That said, I enjoy the game a lot. The strategy makes sense once you get used to thinking that way.

5. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah it is difficult... but not rocket science.

6. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spent a lot of time learning DB while my brothers played DDB and I find that double bonus paytables are better than other games on bar top machines. Probably because the game is difficult to play correctly. Full pay on double is 10/7/5, most people miss the five on the straight. Four Queens has some of the better bar top tables, IMO, but they also have full pay double on a bank of upright quarter machines on the back wall below Chicago Pizza. El Cortez has two quarter and one half dollar coin droppers. I am pretty sure MSS has a few full pay double machines on the floor as well.

7. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's one of the best games in terms of return Downtown, but you really need to brush up on strategy. Strategies can be found at wizardofodds.com. Tons of 3 to a flush holds. Of all the common non-wild games, it's definitely the most difficult.

Also one interesting quirk. If you play at MSS and collect the MSS scratchers for quads, you should break two pair with Aces because the minimum value of the scratcher makes going for quad Aces correct.

8. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That I interesting I had no idea

9. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never thought that one through. Years ago I got into this ridiculous habit of tracking all of my quad hits, where, what, and how much was the pay. Always add a + 2 dollars when playing at MSS.

10. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of curiosity - what makes DB more difficult than DDB? You would a recommend a novice play DDB over DB when they move on from JoB?

11. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10/7/5 and 9/7/5 Double Bonus creates a more difficult strategy because a flush is worth 7 for 1, and to a lesser extent, a straight is worth 5 for 1. When flushes pay 7 for 1, a new common class of correct holds appear, 3 to a flush.

For example, if you have Kh 8h 7d 3c 4h, in most games you would just hold the King. But in 10/7 and 9/7 DB, you would hold Kh 8h 4h instead. So Double Bonus requires a person to be a little more observant.

Well, unless you want a big variance jump, I probably suggest Bonus first, or Bonus Deluxe since the strategies aren't far off. But if paybacks are similar, I probably would steer newer players toward DDB over DB for greater playing ease as well. But unfortunately in downtown, paybacks of the best available options aren't similar. 10/7 DB (100.17%) exists in a few places, but 10/6 DDB (100.07%) doesn't exist at all downtown.

12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do the scratchers change the strategy for JoB?

13. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, the strategy is the same for JoB.

14. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there a huge difference between 10/7 and 9/7.

15. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, just breaking two pair with Aces in 9/7 (or 10/7 with scratch-offs). That's it.

Two pair vs. Aces only in standard 10/7 is 1.765957 vs. 1.763491, which is pretty close. The scratch-off at $2 makes Aces at quarters become 1.767931 also beating two pair. But at 9/7 its not even close, AA (1.753068) vs. Two Pair (1.680851)

16. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sweet... east to remember...

17. alexlifeson

alexlifeson High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, that's not exactly it. A four card flush with either two or three high cards is > KK, QQ, and JJ in 9/7. However, only a four card flush with three high cards is better in 10/7.

18. alexlifeson

alexlifeson High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm assuming that you are talking about quarters which makes sense. I doubt that would be true at the fifty cent or dollar level.

19. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, you're right, at 50c or $1, I'd still hold two pair always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.