1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Yet another tipping question

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Pancakes, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure we'll get the hang of it eventually, but until then...

We've booked a helicopter flight over Las Vegas with 702 Helicopters. Main reason being (apart form the good reviews) it'll be just us two (and pilot!) Anyway...

The website suggests tipping the pilot $20. Would that be $20 each or $20 for the flight? Don't want to stiff anyone!

Thanks!

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    since you're alone, I would definitely do at least $40.

if you were with other people on a group flight, $20 would be fine.

3. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah sorry, didn't explain very well, it'll be my wife and I !

4. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A $40 sandwich to upgrade to the helicopter that doesn't crash... :evillaugh

5. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO, a website suggesting a tip amount is questionable. I think anyone taking this trip should tip what they think is appropriate.With that said, have fun.

6. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was much younger I worked for tips. I consider myself to be good tipper. Tips are generally given to people who make low wages, but provide services (servers, valets, maids, etc.) But now we have to tip helicopter pilots? Are we to believe that helicopter pilots are not paid a living wage? Sorry. No tip from me.

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:

8. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tip jars are designed to be ignored. Are the people behind the counter being paid below minimum wage? Same goes for helicopter pilots. The pilot spent money to acquire a marketable skill and did not agree to take that job for tips. And also wants to survive the flight regardless of extra compensation. Now if the pilot agrees to land in the desert so that you can pick up a package, twenty bucks or 5 percent.:whistle:

9. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, ExVegasLocal. I've done the Helicopter trips (which were wonderful) but I did not tip the pilot. Now, don't get me wrong, folks. I tip service people well and often. But, I've just never done so with the professional class. I don't tip my dentist, doctor or plumber. Maybe I'm wrong - and I'll check back to see what the responses are.

Bill

10. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, it's customary to tip all pilots when you rent the vehicle.

You tip the charter plane pilots a hundred or 2 each depending on the flight.

You tip the charter helicopter pilot likewise. You also tip the yacht captain possibly a few hundred if you're out for a week or more.

It's just common practice.

11. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Understood. However, this is a regularly operating flight company the OP is simply buying tickets from for a seat. They aren't arranging a special flight or charter. I don't see it as being any different than buying seats on SouthWest for a regularly scheduled flight to Denver.

As I noted earlier, I believe in tipping. And, in this instance, I'd be tipping the driver that took me to the launch pad as well as other staff who assisted. These are all low-paid staff. But, to tip the highest paid employee the company has (pilots) just doesn't fit my concept of tipping.

Now, after saying all the above, if someone is comfortable tipping - great. No harm, no foul. If in doubt - tip. Do what you think is right.

Bill

12. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah y'see that's my problem - I'm from the UK where this whole tipping thing is non-existent. An appropriate tip around here is zero.

But, when in Rome, etc etc. Hence I'm asking the question :)

Thanks for all the advice though, it's much appreciated.

13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have seen on this very Forum folks advocating tipping the FA's.

14. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The difference in this case is the pilot is also your personal tour guide.

It's a one on one thing so a tip is appropriate if the service was appreciated.

15. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sort of changes things from my perspective. I've got a 7-hour private guided tour in Rome scheduled for later this month. The cost of the tour is 480 Euros. I'm planning on tipping the guide 50 Euros and buying his lunch. But again, we are not part of a group just riding a bus around. It's just the two of us and our guide all day long.

If this is a personal guided helicopter tour where the pilot does more than simply fly, then I suppose a tip would be appropriate, depending upon how much information he shares and how much personal service he bestows. If you are just a warm body in a seat on a helicopter, then I wouldn't tip the pilot.

16. simundo26

simundo26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i didnt tip, i paid for the ride and then the 15 dollar fee when you get there. No way am i handing out a tip for someone who is probably on a good salary job

17. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In terms of the pilot being a tour guide I would have to lean toward tipping. If he just flies it then this falls way short of a charter. Never did it in Vegas but our Niagara Falls pilot didn't say ten words.

If you are from the UK would you find that servers don't expect to get a tip? If that is the case I would look to tip up front or else do what we all should do: tip when the quality of service warrants it.

18. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The cost of the ticket covers the tour.
    The fuel charge covers the flight.
    Saying I need to tip???? Nah, not unless he did something out of the ordinary like let me fly for a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.