1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone else hear this about Love?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by soled905, Oct 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from Vegas and while we were in the Beatles' retail store outside the Love show one of the workers told us some Chinese group bought a controlling interest in Cirque Du Soleil and was shutting down, then revamping, Love. He said it wasn't clear what form the new show would take, but still Beatles-centric, he presumed. They had already let go of some of the performers, which was evident while we watched the show the night before.

He and other workers also mentioned the Beatles' store was closing this coming Monday, and would reopen at some point with more of a Cirque focus, rather than Beatles. My daughter buys Beatles' merchandise every time we go to Vegas, and has never and would never buy anything with a Cirque Du Soleil logo on it. She goes there strictly for the Beatles' stuff, so this wasn't welcomed news for her.

Anyone else heard anything about this and have additional info?

2. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, TPG, which is a US-based firm, is the one that bought the controlling interest. The Chinese group, Fosun, is a minority stakeholder and certainly wouldn't have the ability to unilaterally make decisions like that. They haven't changed leadership, and I would be truly surprised if a bunch of private equity firms tried to exert significant creative control over a group like Cirque, though stranger things have certainly happened. The bigger risk is that they're going to over-expand and dilute the brand with a bunch of shows all over the world that weren't up to earlier Cirque standards.

4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was under the impression that they really aren't developing new shows. They are just going to keep touring the shows already developed in the past.

5. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, this worker did say the Chinese interest was only 10%, but claimed it was enough of an interest to take managerial control. He mentioned that they were planning on bringing some of these Cirque shows overseas, so there's definite merit to what you said about possibly diluting the product.

He also said they just had a meeting last week that laid all this out. He said, too, he knew some of the details because he also worked in the financial office of one of the other hotels. I'm not saying I know enough whether to believe the guy. On contrary I thought I'd post this to see if any or all of this might be true. Like I said, it was evident watching the show that there were people missing. And they cut out the act with the Russian swing artist act for Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes,this is right.

Some folks are going to take a show that continues to do well, and change it up. They want to throw their money away.

Really?

7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The shows have been traveling overseas for years; Zarkana toured St. Petersburg and Madrid before settling in Vegas, the Michael Jackson: Immortal show went all over Europe and Asia, they've had resident shows in Macau, Mexico, and Tokyo. And while I could certainly be wrong, I would be very surprised if a minority interest held by a private equity fund would be enough to be able to set management and shift the direction of the company, especially given the various conditions that Guy set out in the sale (which did include staging more shows in China, which as I understand it was the main point for bringing Fosun in). The front-line workers often have useful insights, but to be honest, he sounds somewhat full of it.

As for the swing act, I can't specifically remember that one, but it could easily be just that the people who do that act had to sit out that night. I wouldn't necessarily read a ton into it.

8. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The brand is already diluted in Vegas. CDS used to have a huge "wow" factor. They missed the top when selling the interest. But not by much.

9. Bluskies

Bluskies Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time I saw the show, there had been cuts, including Revolution and Back in the USSR, two of my favorite parts.

This is my favorite show in Vegas (have seen it about 10 times) and I worry about all the cutting.

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I stand somewhat corrected: http://lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-report/2015/oct/19/never-arid-cirque-ready-to-overhaul-love-and-belie/

That being said, it's a very brief shut-down (only about two weeks), and it sounds like it's mostly a moderate retooling to reflect the fact that the show has been going for 10 years now without much in the way of changes. I'm fairly certain a show like that can only sustain a particular act for so long, because they're so performer-dependent, so it's not surprising that they might want to refresh it a bit. I would be very surprised if they changed the core, Beatles-centric nature of the show in any way.

11. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the link!

Yeah, like I said above I was relaying what workers at the Beatles' store were telling me directly about their situation and of those in the show and how some of them were being let go. I wasn't reading anything into it-just passing along what I heard. I thought it was interesting that the time was so close to this all occurring(including people losing their jobs), but until that point I had heard nothing on the issue.

12. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also sounds like they're revamping "Believe," but not doing what they should be doing, which is shooting Criss Angel between the eyes with a bazooka. :beer:

The revamped "Love" will fit right in with our travel schedule. We can catch the soft re-opening in March.

13. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen Love twice and still think it's the worst CDS show (seen all of them besides Believe). I'd check it out again after a refresh to see what they did with it.

14. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, all Circ shows do not work with all folks. I get that and respect others opinions. Love does have it's share of "dislikes", but I would guess based on reviews here that they are in the minority. Of course, I have some rose tinted glasses and been there maybe 8+ times.

Of course, there are folks that love Believe. I am thinking the percent of "Believers" is somewhere around the same percent of "Non-Lovers". Around 10% maybe?

15. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know I'm definitely in the minority, I'm fairly young and not the biggest fan of the Beatles. I had pretty high hopes after a friend raved about it, but the first time I saw it some of the performances were a little sloppy. Second time around it was slightly better. As long as MyVegas keeps offering tickets, I'll check it out after they refresh the show.

I've been tempted to see Believe, but even people who have seen the show for free regret it.

16. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See "Believe" and you'll change your rankings. You can see it free and you'll complain and want your money back, as well as your time.

17. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just went to love on Friday night and it was a good show they didn't have near the full of an auditorium for the 930 show.

18. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the morning chuckle. We have been to ALL of the Vegas cirq shows, including the now gone Elvis show. Based on all the comments, we have decided we can not afford even the free tickets to that show. But, it is still there. Go figure.

19. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I noticed they are "dark" for just over 2 weeks at the beginning of December. Maybe just a crew break?

20. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope they don't change it too much. We've seen Love 5+ times and are planning on taking our teens to see it on a short Vegas stop next Summer.
    Damn....some of these corporations/big businesses just don't know when to leave a good thing alone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.