1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Walking to Neon Boneyard

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by UKFanatic, Oct 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am starting to plan my next trip to Vegas in a few weeks. I have wanted to check out the Neon Boneyard for some time. I plan to go do downtown for the afternoon and then walk to the Boneyard for the evening tour. The distance is no big deal to me (only a few blocks), but is the walk between Freemont Street and the Boneyard safe? My experiences DT are so limited I would appreciate any insight from members that spend more time in the area. Thanks

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  2. kittyglitter_mm

kittyglitter_mm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't walk it especially at night. It is in a really run down area and the freeway is right there so traffic is heavy.

3. TheNewUnion

TheNewUnion Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Walked it in the daylight and it was fine, looks a bit "ghetto" and there was some sort of homeless shelter on the way so plenty of homeless folks knocking around. Agree with poster above though, I'd be inclined to take a cab after dark.

4. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It'd be a good time to try out Uber or Lyft, as cabs from the boneyard may be tough to hail.

5. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I wouldn't be too keen about the walk under the freeway part. What I did was take a bus from outside Walgreen's.

6. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They will call one for you.. We drove but they said let em know at the desk. Now how long a dispatched cab takes I do not know.

7. xwrestling

xwrestling Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I went to the Boneyard during the day I walked there but took a bus back to Fremont. The bus was okay but the passengers were not tourists, pretty much locals who were barely making a living. But it was safe.

When I went at night I took a cab there and back. The boneyard peope called me a cab and I don't remember waiting very long.

9. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the thoughts

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a high tolerance for "ner-do-wells" and I wouldn't walk it. The distance is short, but the area around and under the freeway is just not very pedestrian friendly and the walk from there to the boneyard is just a heaven for homeless types that are a tad aggressive and sometimes worse.

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if this is the case now but along main street past the overpass the homeless set up camp along the fences so you will encounter some shady characters if you walk around at night.

I'm not sure because like Honolulu, vegas is probably trying to clean themselves of the homeless so they may have removed the camp along main st.

I don't think you will have a problem on the bus but walking it at night may not be a good idea.

12. CtheWorld

CtheWorld Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd recommend not walking. We walk a lot, but took a cab to get there when we went to our evening tour.

Leave yourself some extra time. We took a cab from Freemont and had a a horrible time getting a cab. They all refused to take us a they didn't want such a short fare, Eventually I offered one $20 and he said OK.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.