1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Shortest Vegas Trip I have ever had when I needed it badly

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Crazycrue, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazycrue

Crazycrue Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Hi Everyone

I thought I would share my vegas trip or lack of vegas trip with you but will give you some history first of why it was so needed in the first place.

Last year my younger sister died from diabetes suddenly, during this time my dear hubby was going through alot of shit with his main job as well as his second job. He was mgmt with his first job and a new board of directors and new executive director decided that friends and family were far better choices for staffing then existing staff so basically off with his head and many others. Then are wonderful provincial government decided they didn't need to provide a receiving services for family services kids anymore and closed that down so there goes the second job. It was during this time we hit our lowest points both as a couple and with my family. The losses were all huge and happened within 4 months. We were at our worst point, then another death happened on my husbands side. My sister left behind her husband who was very abusive and two twenty year old sons. I personally was crushed she meant the world to me we grew up together and I looked after her as an infant due to alcoholic parents.

Anyhow, with the financial issues the family loses vegas remained a dream. We hung in there till the spring and booked a trip with our host only to cancel due to my husband being laid off in his new job. Then we tried to book again tragedy strikes, my brother law decides he can't live without my sister and gases himself in the garage. His oldest son found him it was horrible.

So we cancelled again I have to say I have an awesome host, his name is Garrett Cox and he is at the Mirage. A shout out to Garrett if he reads this. Thanks for listening and rebooking a zillion times.

So we book again for Canadian thanksgiving Oct 10. All excited we watch the vegas movies read the great trip reports I plan my wardrobe, get nails done etc. We planned on driving to Minot and flying out from there a 5 hour drive. We kennel our 5 dogs and leave Saturday morning at 3:30 am to give us time to get through the border and do some shopping in Minot before our flight.

Anyhow the Thursday before we leave my husband is in a car accident in the middle of the day. He is hit by a drunk driver and would of been killed but he seen the guy run the red light and come right at the drivers side door in a half ton truck at a high speed so he floored vehicle and managed to old get hit on the rear end. The guy never hit the breaks drove into the local fast food parking lot threw out all his beer cans and his girlfriend fled. Cops came arrested him and the vehicle was towed away.
    Thank goodness my husband was just shook up.

He texted me at work and I just about fell out my chair that this had happened how much could we endure. I thought keep it together you still have each other.

So when Saturday Oct 10 came two days later we were in need of that holiday in the worst way. Car was loaded up at 3am - tomtom, suitcases etc., it was really happening. I go out to our vehicle to put food and water in and the tomtom is laying on the floor screen smashed. I am thinking what the _____. Ok its nothing your going to vegas don't need it really anyhow but I had a bad unsettling feeling. I kept telling myself your paranoid get over it. Chill out.

So we take off and begin our long journey. 1.5 hours into the drive to the border a skunk decides to play chicken with me (I am doing the driving) and I win and vere around it. The drive continues we are now almost 3 hours into it and I see my gas gauge go from 3/4 full to have and jump back up again and thought I noticed the lights flicker. Hmm maybe I need more coffee, slurp slurp. A couple minutes later it does it again and say to my hubby ahh something is going on with the van the gas gauge is acting weird and I thought I could need the lights flicker. Hubby says don't tell me that I don't want to hear this. I said ok just telling you I am not losing my mind completely.

It does it again now I can see the 4 ways in the background on the dash, it continues to get more frequent until all the gauges go nuts and the battery light comes on. So we decide to pull over at a truck stop and quietly lift the hood.

Verdict battery cable and clamp or alternator are the issue and we cannot tighten the clamp and need to replace it. Hubby does his best to tighten by hand but its still loose. ( I just had the van checked over before we left as well)

We decide to carry on we are bound and determine to have this trip and drive very carefully to the next major center and wait for Cdn tire to open at 8:00 am we can still make our flight if we can get someone to replace the clamp and cable or do it ourselves. WRONG WRONG WRONG! We hit tims for coffee and wait go back the Cdn screw up and the garage opens only to tell us they don't have anyone working who can fix it and that there would be no one else available in the big city of estevan that would be able to do this. Plus they did not have the cable or any tools we could use only a clamp.

We sit and grieve and feel honestly like shit. We couldnt' take the chance of frying something in the dash by carrying on so we gas up find out we also fried the gas gauge call the mirage and ask them to cancel our reservations call a friend to be on standby in case we lose power and turn around and attempt to come home.

We made it home luckily, hubby fixed the van except for gas guage which needs the tank dropped to fix the sensor and tried to find some sort relief in the fact we are safe and at home.

That's it folks shortest most disappointing trip. Bad luck has our number and I am glad we didn't get on that plane (allegiant) cause maybe our luck would of took that flight down. You never know when your unlucky streak lasts that long.

Now to deal with bills and return to work unsatisfied and disappointed.

Thanks for reading.

Final Note I went out and bought 8 curly bamboo to try and change our luck. I am game to try anything at this point.....:rolleyes2:

2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about the recent events in your life and the barriers to your trip to Vegas!
    A few years back we had the shittiest van ever that stabbed most of our best-laid plans in the heart! I feel for you!
    Hope things turn around for you and your family. You'll enjoy Vegas so much more when you get there! :peace:
    -Richard

3. Crazycrue

Crazycrue Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much Richard. I am hopeful for 2016 to be a better year and to travel to Vegas I will definitely add a few days on to the trip and make the most of it.

I really appreciate your response to my post. I was worried that I wouldn't get a response. I don't post very often and I know this isn't a sexy post but it seems therapeutic to share it with everyone.

Thanks again!

4. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sorry to hear of your bad luck ack!
    from family issues, to work issues to getting to Vegas issues

I do hope Vegas is in the *cards* for you both!

5. Slh2412

Slh2412 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry that things have been so bad for you and condolences on the loss of your sister and BIL. That's quite a load. I pray that going forward things will pick up for you and the coming days will bring you joy. Prayers and Blessings are being sent your way. Stay strong!

6. Spock

Spock Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for sharing your story with us and sorry to hear about all that is happening.

Be strong and the times will turn . ..

Good thing is nothing happened to either of you and both of you are there for each other. God bless and hopefully the trip to Vegas will become a reality in the future.

7. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So sorry for al your heartaches and mishaps. For whatever reason it wasn't meant to be. Also sending prayers and good wishes. I am sure you will make that trip soon.

8. Tbone3336

Tbone3336 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really sorry to hear about all the unpleasant issues and heartache. I am sending good vibes your way. Hang in there!

9. journaljim

journaljim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So sorry for your losses. Hang in there! Glad the two of you have your health.

10. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for all the misfortunes you've experienced. I hope 2016 will be a MUCH better year and you will not only get your long awaited Vegas trip, but have it be a winning one too!

11. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay strong!

12. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel so badly for you, those are some incredibly large losses, certainly too much to carry at once. I always find it interesting that the abusive ones are always the ones who can't live without the person they abused while they were alive. I suspect your life will find a new normal and then you will be free to vacation without worry, I certainly hope so. This many significant disappointments are incredible burdens, especially the loss of your sister. I really look forward to your next trip report and reading of a relaxing trip with mind-blowing winnings!!
    diane

13. Mrscallahan

Mrscallahan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. I'm new to the board and this is only my second post, but I've been lurking for a while now. I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry about the misfortunes and losses you have been having lately, but want you to know that things will start looking up soon! Hang in there!

14. Sam610

Sam610 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am so sorry to see the terrible issues you have had to deal with over the last year and the end to a vacation before it started.

Try to think of it as a vacation postponed until it is is MEANT to be, after these times are slightly more behind you (not forgotten) and that the next time will be a great experience for both of you without getting there stressed by past events or car issues or any of the other stuff - it is something for you both to still look forward to and plan again and, in some respects, that is a real positive for you.

Sending hugs to you. x

15. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have all our sympathies, I'm sure! I have had to cancel the last three trips I had planned for Vegas for various reasons. All of which seemed too stupid to even talk about at the time, but it still kept me from Vegas. And that's not okay in my opinion. ;)

But Vegas is still there, waiting for my return. I just buckle down and try to address what I can and hope that next time there's a trip things won't go all fubar on me again. Hang in there! All the VMBers can feel your pain, for sure!! I think we've all been there at least once.

16. MsNVegas

MsNVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crazy you've been through a lot! Keep faith things will turn around. Everything happens for a reason. I'll be looking forward to reading a wonderful trip report from you in the near future.

17. Crazycrue

Crazycrue Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank your to everyone for our reading my post and your warm thoughts. Its hard to believe someone can have this kind of luck. I can only hope when it changes that its just as crazy but on the good side and I get to take advantage of the good luck when in Vegas. Now to wait and plan for a future trip. Thanks again my next report will be a positive happy Vegas post. I am hoping all the great trip reports on here rub off on me soon.

Thanks again!

18. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't even imagine having to go through all of that. I just KNOW that things are going to turn around for you in a BIG way and can't wait to hear all about it.

19. WhskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhskeyTangoFoxtrot MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope things turn around for you soon!

20. emmas

emmas VIP Whale

Sorry about the string of bad luck and the latest cancellation of your. Hang in there. I think you and your husband are about ready for a big dose of good karma. I just hope when it comes, it lasts for a very long time.

I need all the luck I can get!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.