1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

1/2 day trip for VP - Southpoint, Red Rock, or GVR??

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by yooperguy, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm planning a half day trip during my stay for some decent video poker, probably in the a.m midweek. I am kinda leaning towards Southpoint, but also will consider RR or GVR. Which of the three is your personal favorite for VP, and why?

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like South Point because bartop paytables are hard to beat; it may not be a big deal if you're going in the AM though. Also many of the "gimmick games" are full pay at quarters as well STP, Double STP, Ultimate X, etc.

3. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, tringlomane. Not much full pay left downtown. My newest favorite game on videopoker.com is hundred times pay DDB quick quads, want to play it at the nickel level. And I don't mind beer for breakfast, as long as its cold and free.

4. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately that game is sorta dying, but MGM Grand still has it for nickels. About 100-200 feet from the hotel lobby next to a Double STP game that is right next to the main walking path to the lobby. And I also really like this game and make an effort to play it every trip! Best game available there 7/5 Bonus (98.29%).

But don't forget to change your strategy. For example, trips with a kicker to make a quick quad is a good thing. And you can bet as many or as few lines as you want for 6 credits each via the touch screen!
    [​IMG]

Full 7/5 Bonus w/QQ strategy linked below.
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-13-b-37-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-2-d-3-d-4-d-5-d-7-d-45-d-60-d-100-d-50-d-800/

5. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome! The wife and I are going to KA at the MGM on Tuesday evening, looks like we'll get there a few hours early and staying a few after for my Quik Quad fix. Thanks for the directions!

6. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is Quick Quads vs. standard DDB?

7. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A game where you pay an extra credit for the following scenario to happen. "If you have a three of a kind ranked two through ten, and your two kickers sum together to equal the rank of the three of the kind, then that hand will be awarded a four of a kind payout." Also sometimes quad payouts are increased.

Look at the picture above I posted. My final hand after the draw is 99954, but I was awarded 225 nickels (usually 125 in normal Bonus) instead of 15. This is because 5+4 = 9 which "makes" the final 9 for your hand. For the purposes of making quick quads, Aces are always considered "one". So 7776A is also a "quick quad" (6+1=7). Note, trip Jacks, Queens, Kings, and Aces are ineligible for quick quads.

This rule change makes strategy change quite a bit. In my picture, I held 9995 in hopes of either getting a 9 OR a 4. When you have trips ranked 2 through 10, you should always hold a lower kicker when available. Also, something like 7752 is more valuable than 77 alone.

The full strategy charts can be calculated here when you know the paytable.
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/calculator/

Sounds like that will work out well! Enjoy Ka!

I initially missed that you said you liked DDB though. Little bad news on that one. I'm pretty sure the paytable is 7/5 as well (96.36%) maybeeeee 8/5 at best (97.14%). But I know how people love DDB, so just in case, here is the strategy for 7/5 ddb. I always play bonus there though. :wink2:

7/5 DDB strategy
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-13-b-57-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-1-d-3-d-4-d-5-d-7-d-50-d-80-d-200-d-200-d-400-d-50-d-800/

If you're willing to travel a little bit, they have 3/5/10 play quick quads for nickels-quarters also at Ellis Island that is "full pay". But I dunno how much the 100-hand part is important to you.

8. yooperguy

yooperguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm staying downtown, but have a car rental so I can go just about anywhere for good VP and poker. The 3/5/10 full pay at Ellis sounds like a winner, I'll give that a try first. The hundred hand play is not important, even at nickels I'd probably only play 3 hands tops at quarters or 10 hands at nickels. I have some coupons to use at Ellis for food and drinks, also. Should be a fun stop. Again, thanks for the advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.