1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Washington/Oregon recommendations.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by reedy, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whats up ya'll

The GF and I are planning on making a trip to the Pacific NW next year for some wine tasting and travel. Neither of us have ever visited and at first we were planning on a May/June time frame but i was thinking in might be nice to be there for the harvest later in the year.

Which times of year would those familiar with the area recommend? Also, any vineyard recommendations would be much appreciated along with places to stay.

Thanks!

2. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't done much wine tasting in OR or WA but the wilamette valley in OR is a nice area. I visited Yamhill Valley Vineyards and one other which I don't remember while driving from Portland to the coast. YVV was pretty small, but the people there were nice enough and the wine was pretty good. I recommend spending some time in portland if you can. The drive out to hood river from pdx is great with lots of waterfalls to see. I've stayed at the westin and embassy suites in Portland and would recommend both.

I highly recommend staying at the pana-sea-ah bed and breakfast near depoe bay on the Oregon coast. It's basically a big home converted to a B and B. The breakfast was great and the owner is a really nice guy. Make sure to get a room with a balcony. Only a few minute walk down to the beach. I started a fire on the beach at dusk and my gf and I drank some of the wine we picked up on the way. We stayed there in October. An early May visit or a fall visit would be best imo.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you said nothing about skiing, the best time of the year in the PNW, and this is even more important if considering the west side of the Cascades, is September/early October ... aka Indian Summer. Warm days, chill eves, fewer turistas out and effectively no chance of precipitation. May/June aren't March but you will get wet.

Wine is subjective, obviously, and if looking at AVAs of the Willamette Valley, you are talking Pinot and Chardonnay; yes, other varietals exist, but it is Burgundian. We are most drawn to the wines of the Eola-Amity Hills AVA. If you're talking eastern Washington you're largely talking Bordeaux varietals (and a drier, more "austere" environment). Our experiences there are very limited -- as I pointed out in my recent TR -- but the critics obviously like what's going on.

What else do you want to see experience? Do you want to check out any of the PNWs get urban centers? Do you like to hike, bike? Check out the Pacific shore? Take a spin through the mountains over to awesome Bend or check out the inland empire fun of Spokane and environs?

Answer and ask away and folks here will fill your dance card.

Go Ducks!

4. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for both replies guys.

I don't plan on skiing. Also, i would prefer to stay as far away from humanity as possible. I was planning on this mainly being a reds trip. We have a solid collection at home and figured we would mostly be drinking/buying Pinot. I'm a big fan of Burgundy but trying a few varietals would be nice also.

Hiking yes and staying close to the ocean is always a yes for us.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then Oregon it is, in September.

I do want to call out Evening Land. And Adelsheim -- Chehalem Mountains AVA, essentially -- is to Oregon wine as Jerusalem is to several religions.

Depending on where you are in the valley and where you go on the coast, you're looking typically at 70-90+ minutes getting over, so you're not on the coast at all but not far away.

As you've not been out this way I will heartily suggest, if you have time, that you take an excursion over the Cascades for a night, better yet two. The drive over is stunning, and particularly if you go up the McKenzie River Highway from Eugene and then doing the Old Road to Sisters rather than hooking up with the Santiam route; do the McKenzie and Old Road at least one way ... better yet, both. The quick transition from temporal rainforest to seer lava badlands and volcanic peaks is almost Hawaii-esque in its rapid transition from such disparate zones, and in its fundamental beauty. Unbelievable hiking in/around the Cascades/Bend, and Bend is a truly great and scenic outdoor town with bueno food, gobs of breweries and more than enough wine bars.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PacNW has a lot of wine regions spread all over. Willamette Valley is probably most "famous". I've really enjoyed exploring some of the Yakima area wineries too. My favorite winery in the NW is a small place out by the beach in WA that does very non-traditional wines, Westport Winery. Love it!

I met up with my sister and her husband for a weekend of wine in Willamette and there was no end to the wonderful wine and food. Ken knows Bend, and I second his recommendation to drive over the old McKenzie highway if you have the time. It's one of my favorite drives in the NW.

7. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been to Portland many times since my daughter lives there. One of our best side trips was to McMinnville, Or. Quite a few wineries iin that area. My favorite part of that trip was to the aviation museum. That's where the "Spruce Goose" is on display as well as a large collection of iconic aircraft. We stayed at the Mcminnamin's local hotel. Can't remember the name but it's very unique, like most of their properties.

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  8. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you end up near Seattle at any point, consider a day in Woodinville. It's an east-side suburb that is very wine-centric. The original winery there is Chateau Ste Michelle, which has beautiful grounds and buildings. There are now almost 100 wineries, as well as a half dozen distilleries and about a dozen breweries (Red Hook being the biggest). In two areas, the warehouse district and schoolhouse district, you can walk between more wine tasting rooms than you could visit in a day. Many of the wineries also have tasting rooms and/or vineyards in eastern Washington, but they've figured out that western Washington is where the money and people are.

9. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all of the recomendations guys. Looks like we will be booking a Sept trip, flying into Portland. I will update this thread as we start to plan.

10. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd recommend a trip out to Cannon Beach to see Haystack Rock if you have the time. I believe its a little under a hour and a half from Portland.

11. Venus

Venus Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suggest you visit Sequim, Port Angeles, and hiking the Hoh Rain Forest.

12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Hoh is beautiful, (so is the Cape Flattery area), but it's not exactly close to anything else. Not a great option for a quick trip for wine.

13. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're planning to stay in Portland, remember the Light Rail is a fast and easy way to get downtown. We like to stay out of town where it's cheaper and take the rail in. Downtown is compact. You can walk and see quite a lot.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We often light rail downtown to get the rental as PDX is one of the more usurious rental spots on god's green

I'm sensing PDX is a portal only as Reedy wrote they don't want to huddle with the masses, so there goes an urban junket. (But Portland does rock. I loved the few years I lived downtown in a high-rise -- though I grew up in the 'burbs. And talk about an urban walking/hiking Mecca!)

Reedy, sorry if I missed it, how long is your getaway?

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True dat.

Amazing part of the world. That should be on that epic-drives thread here. Getting out to the mountain, around to the mossy coast. Awesome.

16. Venus

Venus Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    guess I missed the quick trip part.....I saw wine and as far away from humanity as possible, so, the Hoh.

17. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're planning on a 10 day trip. I hope thats enough time to fit in all of the great things everyone is recommending.

18. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually enjoying a v nice bottle of Domanine Serene 07 right now.

19. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Planning a trip from Sac., Ca. through Oregon. Don't mean to steal the tread.
    Hitting coast at Newport and heading up the coast to Astoria. Not sure which way to head home.
    We travel with a small dog.
    I already like some of your ideas. I'll be watching the tread for more.

20. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No probs hoss

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.