1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving to Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the thought of driving to Vegas has me intrigued. Growing up, as a kid when we use to take family vacations, my dad would load up the van and we would drive from Columbus OH to San Diego and with stops in Vegas coming back. As a kid i hated that drive, yet the southwest scenery always intrigued me. Then as the family got smaller (brother and sister growing up and moving away) we started flying which I enjoy.

So comes the other day. For giggles I was playing around with google earth and maps and thinking about possibly sometime in the next 6-9 months, before summer again, loading up the car and my son and I driving to Vegas. He is 14 now, never been past Texas and has wanted to see the town that excites me. He is home schooled so that would not be a problem, just getting the days off work.

As for the car, I have a 2015 Honda Civic so I am not too concerned about the ride there and back, apple maps says I can do the drive in less than 30 hours, obviously that does not take into account stopping for gas, restrooms, food and a nap.

Right now, it is just a thought, I really would like to make it a reality. Gambling would not be the goal of the trip, it would just be a week of my son and I having some fun, making it educational (Grand Canyon or Zion, possibly San Diego) and fun. I would only be able to get maybe 7-10 days off work total so that could be an issue considering 3 days round trip would be dedicated to the drive.

Anyone done this? What was your experience and thoughts?

2. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have made the drive from South Texas to Las Vegas two times in the last three years and will be making it again next week when my dad and I make our annual trip. My dad does not like flying and it's not a bad trip. We split it up into two days stopping in Albuquerque the first night on the way out. The scenery is awesome between Albuquerque and Las Vegas. I have driven straight through on the way back which takes about 18 hours. This year I promised my dad we would take our time coming back maybe even stopping in Laughlin for a night since I have never been there. I really enjoy taking the trips with my dad and hope to continue the tradition for many more years.

Mark

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done the trip 3 times. My 4cyl Accord had trouble getting up the mountains when I took the northern route. Neb, Colo, Utah etc, so for the other two we went south. OK, TX, NM, AZ etc. It's a very easy, flat drive but it does add about 200 miles to our trip from Wisconsin.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's the starting point? The West is awesome -- awesome -- road trip country. North route, south route? I have plenty of ideas coming.

As a kid my dad always saved some of his vacation -- and my mom indulged us by "giving up" some of that time to us instead of her -- so we could road trip. As I got older, he and I still would try to hit the road when we could, late into my 20s, and a few times even here in my agingness. I'm 54, he's 84, and we talk about those trips all the time. As some read here, I recently did an extended excursion through CA and up around the PNW. When I got home I doctored up a map of the West, highlighted each segment and stay, and penned a letter, and sent it off to my dad. He planted the seed and I wanted him to know the tree is strong. He called me in tears to say thanks. I owe him the thanks.

Gambling you don't experience won't be part of your memory system.

Never underestimate the value of a drive. Yesterday, coming home from San Jose, we decided to kick over to the 1 and cruise Big Sur rather than the usual 101. Sure, it adds time, you're gonna get white-knuckled turistas plodding along at 18 mph in their swaying minivans; it doesn't matter. We saw the elk and zebra of Hearst Ranch, bought some artwork from a gallery outside Big Sur, counted bazillions of pelicans and elephant seals hauled up on shore, rolled down the windows and turned up some tunes.

The American Road Trip. Don't leave home without it!!

5. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love a good road trip! Did the drive from Las Vegas to New Hampshire by way of San Antonio a couple years ago and it was phenomenal. It was truly a memorable trip.

The best advice I can give is don't plan to drive so many miles per day that you can't enjoy the ride. Remember that it's what you see and experience on the road that makes the trip, not the destination.

6. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have enjoyed reading the feedback from here.

Our starting point would be Columbus Ohio and more than likely taking the southern route which for us would be 70w- 44 in St Lois and then hitting 40 and taking it until we get to Kingman and hit 93. Coming back, depending on when we go we may do the 15 to 70 in Utah,but only if it is not during Colorado snow season.

I know as a young kid, I hated the drive because it seemed to take forever, especially New Mexico and Arizona but then again I also remember being amazed at some of what we saw. My dad would do the drive pretty much straight through and would just take a nap at a rest area for a couple hours before moving on. I have wanted to take this trip in the past but never really felt I had the car to do it, did not want to drive a car with over 120k on it more towards 150k miles on it on a trip like that so never did. I bought this car in August brand new with only 3 miles on the clock so I would feel better plus have warranty and free road side incase of an issue. Id love to do a day at the ocean in San Diego but it may really be pushing things a bit. I figure we can do four days of driving round trip but that would only leave 3 or 4 days to spend there, not sure that would be enough to enjoy it. I would have to see what I can get off work and all of that before making a plan. The other issue is finding boarding for the dog since we adopted one at the shelter in August, I regret that choice at times because I like the carefree lifestyle.

7. nomodough

nomodough Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We too will be making the drive from the Oklahoma panhandle next week.
    Last year we drove straight through (16 hours) each way. I was wore out each time especially on the return trip!
    This time planning on stopping for the night in flagstaff on the way. This will allow us to be fresh when we roll into town.
    I like the freedom of no particular time schedule to deal with. I hate the airport bs and we are still 2.5 hours from one anyway! For me having a car in Vegas is a huge plus. We check out a lot of different places off the strip.

8. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Hawaii and, as such, "road trips" are not an option for me. I did get to make the drive from the strip to zion national park a couple of times and that was great. I am loving the comments on here, as well.

9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you looking to board your dog locally or are you asking for a recommendation for a place in Vegas? I take my dog with me on the road when I drive to Vegas. She loves Doggie District (we usually go the one on Rainbow). I was worried about her on our first stay there and called to check on her. They said, "Oh, Ruby's out in the pool now." I sort of pictured her in a cabana with all her friends, drowning in margarita.... just like her mom. :haha:

I usually drive to Vegas, from Seattle. I work in time to visit with the parents and I do some site-seeing. I am much happier when I keep my daily mileage down under 400 miles, but I can do the long haul too. I have the benefit of the time though. My work goes with me as long as I have wi-fi or 4G access.

Some of my worst and best childhood memories are in the old station wagon with my parents. I do love a road trip and learned about maps and navigation, history, geology, geography, finance & budgets, etc on those trips. If you can swing a trip with your kid, I highly recommend it, but only you know if the schedule is too much for the time you have.

10. Mrsgashy

Mrsgashy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We drive in from NM and the drive is not bad at all. Takes about 4 hours so it's not too bad drive than flying esp with gas almost close to 2 bucks a gallon now. Makes me wish I still had my Honda civic! Could have done the trip spending 50 bucks for gas lol!

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can do it....wife and I drove from modesto to Tunica and BACK, in 8 days.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The journey, the sights, the time with your kid, that is what this trip is about. Not gambling. Not just logging miles or ticking some boxes; Edward Abbey's detested industrial tourism. Sure, you're gonna have to beat feet, but I'd do that on the way out, churn though the flat states and make that 15/70 return your goal, and linger between St. George and Denver, in quick bits, of course.

You've started to tally and the days are a concern, and that's understandable. Maybe step back and rethink this -- what's important, what do you and your kid want to experience and do together? Call me a heretic but Vegas need not be the turnaround point (and I'd certainly not add getting to So Cal to the mix). Perhaps time it to miss the bad weather and make northern New Mexico and getting into the Colorado Rockies the target. If you can press the right side pedal, you could fill up a dozen scrapbooks of memories simply from the Red Rock Country of Utah.

The last thing you need to worry about is the reliability of your car!

13. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you posted this thread. I've been contemplating doing the drive also....from Cincinnati area here.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for Doggie District on Rainbow. We and the dog loved that place. They also had webcams setup so you could watch the dogs during playtime.

16. bratkar

bratkar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and if you need dog day care in C-bus, I can ask some of my Sib-Husky Friends where they board there. I'm up in in Cleveland can tell you a great place, but it wont help you. And if he is a socialized pup, find boarding that also does day care, he will return to you exhausted after a week of play with the other pups!

We never road tripped as far as out west. But it is still my dream with my husband and every year we toss that idea around and keep putting it off... But we are also the type to fly into Vegas and do a whole road trip of Utah and the state parks...

Kelli

17. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:

We would have to board him locally. I would not want to make the trip with the dog just because thats a long time for a dog in the car plus he is a pit mix and lots of places of have regulations about the breed. Im not a fan of the breed myself but he has proven to be a nice dog and great protector at the same time.

18. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, very good points as always. Your post always seems to open an eye I never thought of.

19. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:

Good Ol Tunica. Been there twice, only reason I went back last time was for a free room when I had to pick my kids up from my ex-wife. Not sure I will take the free room next year, not really impressed.

Kelli, I will look for some feedback from you and also call around. I may have a challenge with our pup since he is a Pit mix and he really is not a fan of playing with other dogs. He has no problems with humans, just not a happy with others of his species.

Farthest I have ever personally drove was Dallas and I did that in a day and it was turn and burn. Knowing that, I need to plan and figure things out, try to get the time scheduled off work and see if it will be something we can do.

I think my son will enjoy it more than I did. With all of todays modern electronics and such he would have a blast and more than likely not concern himself with the views. We shall see what comes up.

Loving all the feedback.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a good way to do it, save days for the heart of the matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.