1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are We Vegas Folks Natural Math People ?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Camp Rusty, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kimsa70's post " How Did You End Up Gambling ? " really made me think, great thread starter by the way !

It made me think, are all of our threads really ultimately math based/balanced ? Fully admit dork content :wave:

Whether we are doing theo's versus comps, Strip view versus mountain view, table or VP odds, daily budgets, table service or buying drinks, best buffett value, sports betting, or the chances of a twenty dollar upgrade while we wait in line.

Which check in agent DOES looks like the best chance for that upgrade ? :):):)

To me it all seems to come down to some sort of an equation........ and I do not consider myself a math person at all.......but I think about all this stuff when I head out on a Vegas trip.

Do you consider yourself a natural numbers sort of person ? Do you think this ultimately makes us more successful in Vegas all around ? Are we happier gamblers all around knowing that we know the math ?

Rusty

2. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think all of us who gamble, have to be somewhat proficient in math skills. We try to minimize house edges so we can take advantage of positive variances. But many here are also more interested in the adult Mecca aspect of Vegas where they can be in their own Fantasyland. But if they're on this board, they can pick up on tips like the ones you mentioned. Many of this is just learned from being there so often. All of us have some regard for money management; some have an added regard for gaming theory.

I am a left-brained person with a lot of interest in math including probability theory and random processes, but I like to think that I have some semblance of right-brain activity by appreciating the arts and showing my creative side.

3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes, Rusty, I feel I don't wanna know the math.....lol!

But I understand what you are saying. I'm definitely not a math person ( I had D- on my first semester of Trigonometry and the teacher advised I drop the class... I responded by sticking it out and ground out a C plus at 4th quarter, lol!). We all do some sort of number equation when dealing with hotel accommodations, restaurant choices, game choices, etc.

But I don't over-analyze anything when in Vegas. Especially when I'm gambling. Gambling is entertainment for me, but I love the competition to win. If I lose a bunch at the tables or machines but I had a great fun and social experience then I feel it was worth it. Throw in a bunch of "free" drinks and I'm game to come back to do battle again.

I believe we all are mindful as to where we stand with the bankroll and trip budget. Some of us are more mindful than others. For me the yellow light will flash when I lose half my bankroll, but I'll still play albeit a little more conservatively. As far as food and entertainment I'm on vacation so I usually won't sweat those expenses too much.

But yeah, math is always a factor when in Vegas!

4. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas > [my current town]. That's the most important Vegas math for me!
    It is interesting to think about the math, but also about all the lights, sounds, and atmosphere that bombards the senses when you're at the tables and machines.

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having seen a ton of terrible math on here over the years, I'll say no.

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've also seen botched math at Wizard of Vegas at times too. The most fun is trying to catch the Wizard screwing up himself! :evillaugh

But considering this is a general Vegas board for recreational gamblers, I'm impressed with the general math aptitude here. And those that aren't particularly mathy still want to know good values in their gambling/food/hotel choices, which probably is more than the average Vegas tourist does.

7. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ......exactly.....thanks for making sense for me......

Still wish I was good at real math :faint:

8. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd like to think I am just okay enough in math to get by and help my kids with homework.

Sadly, alcohol factors in and that theory goes out the window in Vegas...

9. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas math equations I love and feel I pretty much have them down. My child's 2nd/3rd grade math, not so much! Lol

10. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember those days....

"Is it A,B,C, or D dad?"

"When in doubt, pick C son... That's a life lesson!"

LOL

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very obvious that keno players do not know math!

12. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont take to cipherin much myself.

I can do some pretty good goesintos though.

You know 2 goesinto 6 3 times, that sort of thing.

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some are. But give the seeming inability of many to add in resort fees to calculate the actual price of a room, belief in systems and talismans, and disbelief in things like randomness, math seems rather foreign to many.

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was told there would be no math.

15. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you mean keno players do not know (the) math....(We can't assume they're dummies like me. See post #3, lol!)

Well, maybe some don't and the others know but don't care. They're having fun doing what they like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.