1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My credit card was hacked!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play the cash rebate back game with my credit cards. So I have an AMEX card that pays 6% back on groceries. (annual cost $99) An AARP card (free) that pays 3% on restaurants and gas and then I have a Chase Freedom Card (free) that pays 5% back, but the items change every quarter. So for the 3rd quarter it pays 5% back on gas.

I then I also have a SWA card that earns miles.

Anyway, I get a call from Chase today trying to verify charges on my Freedom Card because they received a telephone call from someone trying to access my account and it wasn’t from my home number.

I’ve got a macro setup on my computer so it makes it easy to go to the site and check my charges, but I got lazy this week and haven’t checked in. While I’m on the phone with the Chase person I open up that site to check charges and sure enough there are three bogus ones.

Now I’m looking at the July, Aug & Sept charges and all three months are just from the same gas station, because I’m getting 5% cash back. Since I always gas up my wife’s car, she doesn’t even carry her card for this quarter.

What do you think? Somebody installed a card skimmer at one of the pumps at the gas station?

I’m not worried and know I’m not liable for the charges and in this case I’m so happy I don’t have any auto-pays from this card. That is always a PIA when they issue a new card/number.

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you buy anything online? That would be the first thing I'd check.

3. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When mine was hacked, it was from an ARCO gas station. 3 charges as well. The rep I talked to says this happens all the time on outside readers.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, we buy a ton of stuff on-line since we have Amazon Prime, but we also have a dedicated card just for that. Like I said, the only purchases for July, August and so far in Sept have all been from the same gas station.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, outside reader. I never go inside.

6. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even knowing that you're not liable, this is all still a PITA.

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    definitely could be a card skimmer on the gas station pump.

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's my guess. Happened to me a few years ago with my Chase card. Dude tried to buy $800 worth of shit from the Apple store after the skim. I don't own anything from Apple. Chase shut it down faster than you can say Jack Robinson.

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happened to me. It had to be a skimmer at a gas station. They charged $60 in pizza but I caught it before they tried to do anything really crazy.

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of ours was snagged last month, Mobil station in Oceanside. I got home hours later, bank called, someone trying to buy gobs of stuff at a Office Max or whatever several states over. Almost always a reader grab. I love our bank. They are on this shit.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely the skimmer at the pump. I've heard of this happening at parking meters too.

12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I work in IT, in the financial industry and specifically with cards. The amount of fraud and hacking is staggering. Skimmers on ATM's, some so sophisticated it's amazing. Of course there is a ton of info stolen because people STILL use simple passwords online. And when dining in a restaurant a lot can happen with your card in the 5 minutes it's out of your possession. My basic advice is to set alerts to get a text with EVERY purchase on your card. Often fraud starts with a very small charge of a dollar or less to see if your card is still active. Also check your accounts online frequently. If you have a card that doesn't have alerts dump it and get one that does. Of course you can do everything right and still be compromised since most fraud happens within the vendor or processor.

13. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have been having those problems for years up here with the card readers.

The banks are pretty good at getting on it but once a year...the gas stations get breached.

Do you guys have the "tap and go" like we do here? I know that you are just implementing the chip readers.

15. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

I had a chase southwest card that was compromised even though I hadn't used it in over three months. I have no idea how they got my card number since it was always in my wallet.

That's still better than my uncle whose personal credit was compromised for almost 100k. They took out a few store cards with max limits of $10k.

16. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man I have had this happen like 4 times to me...once on my debit card and rest on the my cc in the past 8 or so years. Wife got hit last month.

One time they were using my card in Florida.

17. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i always go inside at gas stations since I'm using gaS COUPONS ON TOP OF THE CREDIT CARD REWARDS.

18. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm surprised that in the U.S. We are still ok with the waiter taking our cards off to run our card. It only take a few seconds to copy the pertinent info and you'd be able to charge any thing you want online.

Since I got my southwest card over a year ago I've had the number reissued once due to compromised number and just a few months ago someone in Mexico was charging a membership to adult friend finder.

19. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not always a skimmer. A few weeks ago, wife got a call from Chase asking her if she had charged about a $180.00 worth of groceries from a national chain grocery store. The problem was that particular card was never activated! Chase mailed that card to her but we never intended to use it at all. That one was an easy one for us. End result.....no charge. Wife also had a skimmer about 18 months ago and whoever skimmed her account charged over $200 at a kids clothing store in Chicago. We live in the Pac NW. It's getting to the point where it's just a matter of time when we will be screwed.

20. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard years ago to never use credit cards at gas stations in Los Angeles or anywhere. So I always use cash for gas all the time.

I always pay cash for restaurants because I want to give a cash tip to the waiter.

I carry enough cash when I go to Vegas or on a cruise ship so I can pay for everything with cash.

I have a special code for my Chase bank cards when I call Chase credit card Bank to discuss something. They make sure it is me.
    Plus, I call them when I go to Vegas, cruise ships, or other countries on vacations. They keep the info. in their computer. I ive them the dates of when I will be gone.

Has anybody heard about inserting your credit cards in a metal container where strangers can not tap into your credit card information? I have two of them to hold my credit cards and other types of cards. They say that a stranger in a coffee shop, restaurant, any store, or just passing you by can get your credit card numbers. Plus there are some expert con artists that duplicate your credit card information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.