1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

"Don't Take the Tunnel??"

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by whiskeyandslots, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubs and I have been to Vegas twice -- and got married there last year -- but both times, we drove.

We are flying in December for the first time. I've never been on a plane (hick, right?), and hubby hasn't been on one since he was a kid.

Anyway, I see the classic advice..."Don't let your cabbie take you 'through the tunnel.'"

My question is...are you supposed to say something as soon as you get in? Like, "Hey, man. I know you cabbies are scammers, but you ain't scamming us! I've been online, and I know that we shouldn't be going through any damn tunnel!"

Or what?

2. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This should be in the getting around section, but here's the "tip".

You just tell them where you're going, and no tunnel.... So like "Cosmo please, and no tunnel."
    Don't start accusing them of scamming you before you even get in. They can still long haul ya even if they don't take the highway.

3. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In May when we were in the cab, I said Paris, via Paradise and the cabbie said, "I know how to do my job, you don't need to tell me".

4. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah you'll always get a grumpy one or one that takes it bad. But, they should know better than anyone how bad long hauling is out there

5. whiskeyandslots

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn! You're right. I always post in the wrong forum by accident....sorry.

6. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You owe us all a drink then. :D

7. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Know how much it should cost using http://www.taxifarefinder.com. Then when you get in add $5 buck to the anticipated price and ask the guy if that will cover it. If not don't get in. I usually just say, it's $21 to bally's here's $25 is that good? And he makes it in $19.

8. Scottndindy

Scottndindy High-Roller

I have found that the cab drivers will ask a question to try to get you to authorize them to take the tunnel. They will usually say something like "You want the quickest way" or tell you "there is a lot of traffic on the strip and the freeway will be quicker."

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always find it a bit smoother to just say hotel name and 'cheapest way' please. Seems to go over less like accusing them of something they have not yet done.

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the less said the better, but when I am flying in alone and don't rent a car, I'll say something like "Ballys, please, take Paradise" confidently and assertively. I've never had any push-back that I can remember. Sometime I've gotten "You come here often?" to which I'll answer "Yes, about once a month, usually on business", which is pushing it a bit but arguably mostly true. :)

I've never been long-hauled in LV (SD is another Story!) :( but over the years I've learned many of the shortcuts and sneak routes from the taxi drivers. The worst I can actually remember in LV was having a driver who yapped non-stop, loudly, on his cell phone in some (Balto-Slavic?) language which I could not identify.

11. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This isn't a bad idea. I basically had a cabbie propose this to me once on the way back to McCarran after I said something like take "Paradise" from the old IP. He says don't worry about the meter if I paid him $20 (which is what I roughly planned on after tip). He got there pretty efficiently and I gave him $21 in the end.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Waiting, waiting...for Smartone to reply. :evillaugh

13. whiskeyandslots

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone who's there from December 7th-15th can get one! :beer:

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't mind if the cabbie makes that comment. I would rather a cabbie know that I know about the scam than to have him try to scam me.

I've been long hauled before in vegas as well as in San Fran and even Honolulu. Once in vegas the cabbie said that there was construction on paradise and proceeded to go down the Las Vegas Blvd on a busy Saturday night. I checked with a friend who was on paradise (he was going elsewhere) and said that it was clear sailing. When I got to my destination I gave the cabbie the exact fare. He commented on a tip, and I told him "tip? next time don't rip off your customer!".

15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No need for a lot of extra bullshit. Just say (hotel name), surface streets please.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

the cabbies who long haul also wish that everyone had your attitude. Easier for them to make more money off of you. :poke:

17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you are completely misinterpreting my comment.

Frankly, I'm miffed. I edited out the tip.

18. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

One trip, going to Bellagio, cabbie began a tirade after we politely said we're going to Bellagio, but no tunnel please - needless to say it was not the most pleasant ride. (wimpy spouse still tipped normal).
    Another going to Venetian, cabbie took us via Paradise, but then crossed over to the strip at hauled us all the way up the strip, long, slow, hit every light ride, and it cost almost twice as much.
    I will say, those were the exceptions, the vast majority are above board and pleasant, in our experience.

19. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, they often say freeway is quicker if you tell them to take Paradise or something similar. That's why I stick with 'cheapest way'.

Its worth noting that the freeway often IS faster, which is also why it happens so much. They don't just make some extra on the fare, they get to move on to the next fare quicker. The 'pick your route but this is the total I'm paying' approach is thus a decent one. But I have the same issue with it as with saying 'no tunnel'. It feels like you are pre-emptively accusing them.

20. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite is when they try to get very specific. I've had drivers tell me, "There's lots of construction on Harmon, traffic has been at a standstill all week." And of course, there's nothing there when we actually go that route at my insistence. If you're going to lie, at least do it in a way where you have plausible deniability. Say there's an accident, and then claim that it must have just cleared up... at least then you could maybe do it with a straight face, you know?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.