1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Worse than resort fees

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Terry Benedict, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been looking at vrbo.com for a non-Vegas (yikes!) vacation. When I click on some hotel properties at $150 a night, with the dates entered, they will show up on the next screen at $200, 250, even 350 a night.

This is worse than the bait-and-switch of resort fees. This is flat out advertising an inaccurate rate.

2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Funny thing -
    It has happened to me,too.
    I was looking at a golf resort situation.
    I start looking around ( on the web + the site ) + think ..... ?.......hey ? where's that good rate ?
    I've thought it was just me !

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they say FROM whatever the cheap rate is? They pull that a lot.

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, that happened to me, I have used VRBO and Home Away in the past for rentals. I just rented a bayfront home on Long Beach Island, NJ for a guys weekend, hope the stripers are running. Fish, not dancers.

I think it might be a case where a hotel revenue manager loads a rate onto VRBO, and then when you plug in real travel dates, the real time revenue management software reports the real rates for those dates. It sucks, real bait and switch.

For what it's worth, I have also used eBay in the past for time share rentals with great success. Rented a two bed, two bath unit at the Wyndham Skyline towers in A.C. twice from a guy on eBay, it was cheaper than staying in a hotel.

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really a surprise. Its more a flaw of VRBO design than a scam. Or halfway between anyway.

The listing includes a price range, and when you actually go to get a quote for the dates, thats when the pricing is calculated dynamically. Obviously not all nights/weeks/months will have the same rate.

Some listers are more upfront, listing with a range or a + or a "from". But if you often offer for 150 a night, but on a special night want 600, and there are only a couple of those nights per year, you still want a click.

I would not say it is worse than resort fees. It takes way less time to get your total estimate on VRBO than figure out resort fee impact at a travel aggregator or even hotel website. All they really did was trick you into looking at their listing. That costs you what, 1 minute?

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We use VRBO all the time and I'm not really getting what's going on. Perhaps because we've never booked/looked at hotel properties?

That so many people talk about resort fees is proof that they aren't hidden or a mystery or a surprise. lol

With all the consumer chagrin over resort fees it hit me as to why there are no gripes about TOT, or jurisdictions where the TOT might run up to or to 20%?

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, last time this happened a bunch a of dudes dressed up like indigenous folk and tossed tea crates into Boston Harbor about 240 years ago. But it sent the right message.

8. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Should we throw the "complementary with fee" bottles of water into lake Mead? :evillaugh

Also funny you made that comment with exactly 1776 posts!

9. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Today I saw:
    King room, non-smoking, $150
    King room, non-smoking, free breakfast, $160

Um, Hello!

I think as internet commerce is increasing, there should be more regulating in truth in advertising.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.