1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question about Dollar Car Rental

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by tlwellman, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlwellman

tlwellman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am renting a mid size car from Dollar. Usually use Alamo but got a better deal from Dollar. Does Dollar let you select a car from all the mid size that are available like Alamo or do they assign you a specific car? Also, if you have Dollar Express do you just skip the counter and go out to the cars? Thanks!

2. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year, when I used them I did not get to choose from the cars on the lot. It was already chosen for me. I am a Dollar Express, and yes, you get to skip the counter and go to the little kiosk in the garage, to find out where your car is located. Others may have experienced a different encounter, but that is my story.

3. tlwellman

tlwellman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you bu$hman -- I really like choosing my car but the price is significantly cheaper with Dollar this time around.

4. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our rentals with Dollar Express always allowed us to choose our car when we rented a mid-size and full size. Our last rental with them was in May. We mostly rent with Budget (due to the Costco discount) where they choose the vehicle for us.

5. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rented with Dollar in Vegas 3 times. With Dollar Express, skipped the counter and went to the small shed in the garage. All three times was told to choose any car in a particular section for the size of car rented.

6. tlwellman

tlwellman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the responses -- guess I will find out what happens where I get there. Glad to know that I can skip the counter.

7. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely skip the counter with Dollar Express! I've rented there over 30 times and saved so much time with the Express kiosk in the garage.

As far as picking your car, they changed the procedure about 2 years ago. You now arrive at the garage and find your name on the screen. It tells you which parking stall your car is parked in. Find the car, and simply drive away. Paperwork is in the car all ready to go. You can, however, ask for a different vehicle if you don't like their choice. At that point, you are allowed to pick any vehicle in the lot that matches your original car choice section (just take the paperwork from the original car and ask the attendant for the new 'section' to choose from).

No problems, ever with this technique. I have used an upgrade coupons many times (up a class), and it took very little time to enter it at the kiosk. Sometimes selection is limited, and cars have higher mileage. That is the only possible downfall to using Dollar. However, I've had 100% success with zero problems for all my rentals over the last 10 years.

8. tlwellman

tlwellman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks dooner -- I appreciate all the information.

9. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will be even happier when you arrive at McCarren car rental amd see the line at Dollar. 90% of the time its the longest line in the place. I love being able to go straight downstairs, look up on the board see my name at stall " " and pull on out. Have your license ready when you get to the Dollar exit security guard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.