1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Legalizing Recerational Marijuana in November 2016?

Discussion in 'Vegas After Dark' started by dutchvelvet, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Came across this article in the Vegas newspaper today. The alcohol wholesalers lobby is joining the push to legalize recreational use of marijuana in Nevada. Their motives are selfish, as they're going to get a 18 month monopoly on it out of the deal.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/aug/06/report-alcohol-wholesalers-pushing-recreational-ma/

Apparently going to be on the ballot in November 2016. Given that's a presidential election (which pushes up turnout and presumably would have more marijuana friendly voters there). If recent history in the western states is an indication it is probably going to pass.

So looks to me like you'll probably have an additional legal sin option in sin city next year.

2. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will always see these measures on the ballot during big elections as it drive up the younger voter numbers. Younger voters have a tendancy to vote for a certain party so that's why these meaures will be on big election ballots.. I have seen the same measure half a dozen time here in cal pertaining to pot. Still nothing will happen until the state wants it to happen.

3. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with C0usineddie. In Ohio and other highly contested states, various items designed mostly to spur voter turnout by a target population appear like clockwork on the presidential election ballot.

4. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm surprised it isn't yet. Hotels would make a TON of money. Make it so that it's illegal everywhere except certain "lounges" where they could charge whatever the hell they wanted. Everything else is already overpriced in town, why not weed too?

5. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it really only the younger crowd who would be in favor?

I just returned last week from Europe and while in Amsterdam on a walking tour our guide was discussing the patrons in coffeeshops and how he noticed that when he lived in the US that the average pot smoker was older than the average pot smoker in Amsterdam. That surprised me, but then my parents grew up in the sixties so perhaps I see it. I was with my daughter and her infant son so I didn't exactly get to check out the coffeeshops and its "customers". :nono:

6. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's changed since the last time this was on the ballot and changed? I guess the wholesalers pushing it may help but the fact that they would get a monopoly out of the deal may drive some no votes from people who may have voted yes. The main good thing I see in the legalization movement is the entrepreneurial opportunities it's fostered. I don't know the point of voting for the established businesses to get richer.

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, other states have set a precedent.

8. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Harry Reid is going to be trying to push out the vote. That combined with the alcohol lobby and the good reports from Colorado and Washington and It will probably pass this time.

I wonder if I can place a futures bet on the result

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly believe it will pass, but the current battle between the state and the counties on the implementation of medical marijuana is ridiculous and only getting worse... who knows when retail locations will be open and operating.

10. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will pass

and we can get delivery right now, to much politics in clark county with medical right now.

11. PaulBowdry

PaulBowdry Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heck lots of people already just smoke it walking the strip. If it floats their boat why not.

12. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    KOSHER KUSH - The strain produces a fantastic smell and medium yields.,Sleep apnea, insomnia, anxiety, or those looking for a powerful stress and natural pain reliever.

https://www.euphoriawellnessnv.com/menu.php

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, it's painfully obvious with expressway billboards advertising "Doctor Reefer" and such!

("Oh wow, Dave's not here, man!") :)

14. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    actualy dr reffer isnt a deliver service its were you get your medical card , its its very hard to get a medical card and expensive in nevada it cost 500$ for the first year , 300$ after that

15. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe this is why Aria is building that new big lounge on south wall whole length of slot floor almost ;) a real lounge for sure

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll stay away from "politics", but if anything is going to be put on the ballot for consideration, 2016 is a good time to do it... like so many other states Nevada's voting turnout is much, much higher in a presidential election year with more liberal leaning folks showing up at the polls. In the off years, the turnout has historically been very low, but the traditional "conservative" vote tends to sway things as it's consistent and becomes a higher percentage of the electorate.

17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, and if this ever makes it to Iowa, I'm sure this place will do a booming business. :) :) :) :)

[​IMG]

18. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see it now next years thread

" Best VP bar to get best weed ?"

19. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not trying to get into politics, but just some perspective on recent voting patterns. Special interest groups play a huge role in ballot measure and how the voting turns out. In California, a very blue state, in 2008 when Obama easily won the state, they voted against same sex marriage. In 2010, with a big Gubanatorial election they voted against legalization of pot. I know things have changed since then and WA and CO have since passed it, I'm just saying nothing is a slam dunk when it comes to ballot measures.

20. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your logic is solid, but I think your leaving out the tax factor. They are forecasting $40 million in tax revenue for the year in Colorado. That's hard to pass up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.