1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Huge opportunity with the stock market right now

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by lithium78, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lithium78

lithium78 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm really enjoying watching the stock market crater right now -- not because I like watching my portfolio lose value or the damage being done to people's retirement accounts, but because this represents a huge opportunity to get massive discounts on stocks before the market recovers. Anybody else doing this too? I'm trying to decide how long to wait before going all-in on a buying frenzy. It's hard to time these things, but I think it's going to drop another 5%-15% before the recovery starts.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gave up on market timing decades ago. I just continue to hold my mutual funds no matter what happens. I am down to just two individual stocks in my portfolio. MO & PM, just because of the dividend yield. I've had both for over 20 years.

3. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the real bargain in the market will be when oil finally bottoms and then I will be looking at those companies to ride back up. I'm following USO,XLE, and XOM long term calls and for common stock I'm looking at OAS EXXI

4. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should have kept the Kraft.

5. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not just own XOM outright? That way you get to participate in the dividend. It's incredible what reinvesting dividends with integrated oil majors looks like over time b/c of the "supercharged" nature of reinvesting dividends during periods of low stock prices to buy shares super cheap.

6. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think if you can stomach doing options then you would look at that first, and when you exercise them you could keep some for LT holdings.

7. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im tempted to buy on Monday

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In 10 years we're going to wish we had bought depressed stocks today.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think most VMBers have bags of junk silver stashed under the floor boards next to cans of tuna and other armageddon provisions, in addition to the proverbial stuffed mattress.

I admire the OP's bullish prognosis of the future!

11. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I call it my "On The Lam Kit"!

image.jpg

But yeah, while I'm not nearly smart enough to know when to call a bottom, I'm definitely making a shopping list.

12. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    recovery?

if you're expecting a pullback, you go short!

13. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually have a cash for gold as another venture and scared to see what i have lost without melting recently ontop of everything else.

14. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually think a good portion of VMBers have their wealth tied to their businesses and real estate. I imagine there's a substantial portion who wisely set aside chunks of their money into long-term accounts (whether ETFs, mutual funds, individual stocks, bonds, or otherwise).

I'm not selling any service but if anyone wants to "talk shop" about stocks or the market, feel free to PM me. I just enjoy it and don't think it's worth spamming the board with a long message that no one will read.

15. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please post what you decided to do and what you are doing. Would love to follow along.

16. wookie

wookie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a far way from a big pull back. Remember the low in SP 500 was close to 650 in 2009. t is just below 2000 now. Average in and get diversified IMO. Market might go up and might go down. No one knows. Look at the EM stocks. Some are down 25% doesn't make them a good deal.

17. shemesh

shemesh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 401k is now -7% for the year, I have actually lost thousands. My personal investments have added thousands more of losses. Stock options terrible, housing pricing sky-high and unattainable, who wants to go to vegas and gamble even 100$? I don't know about you all, but my feeling for Vegas has become completely ruined.

If only I could refund my hotel, airfare, and show tickets, I would never visit this city, not even as a first timer.

18. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Precious metals have tanked (especially gold) from a few years back and silver was also at an all time high. It was expected though from the high. Seemed like things rebounded a bit but interest rates were still at all time lows and are expected to climb now also for houses etc.

Just gonna hold on for the ride now and try to cost dollar avg things. There will be other things I have that I will be in for the the long haul.

19. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The real reason the market has been in a freefall is because I just started buying stock again about a month ago. Poison Fingers.

20. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    US Geothermal has been holding steady in the .60's all week even with the chaos, might be worth looking into.
    HTM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.