1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Early Bird checkin fail?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by lsiunsuex, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Leaving tomorrow!!!

Weeks ago when I booked our trip - not wanting to have to deal with all the checkin crap, I added the Early Bird checkin for $50 (2 people x 2 flights)

According to the site, they automatically check you in 36 hours before. so 7pm rolled around last night - no email, nothing when i logged into SW, nothing.

Paranoid, I checked in at my time this morning, only to get B seating.

Could that many people have paid for Early Bird checkin and the fact that I booked so late, I was so far down the line we got B? or did something go wrong?

Waste of $50 :(

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've done EB and ended up in low Bs. But, you should have received an email confirmation of your EB purchase at the time. You didn't?

Our last flight I purchased EB at the time of booking. We then changed destination cities and somehow the EB didn't get transferred, so two days before the flight, I bought it again. I didn't have time to search for the original EB receipt. Anyway, we ended up with B1 & 2. Once I got back home, I found the original EB and SWA did refund me the $25. 2x $12.50.

Flights from Milwaukee are usually sold out and we have already had EB of B12 & 13, but usually it is in mid As.

3. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got an email confirmation and when I logged in last night, it said EB was purchased for both of us.

We're low in the B - so maybe it was just so many people purchased EB and we booked so late (2 weeks ago) that we got down to B.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah early bird is still first come first serve among those who buy "wanna get away fares" (the more expensive anytime and business select fares rightfully go first though). When we check in exactly 24 hours before our flight when we traveled via Kansas City, we often got within the first 10 seats of B. So typically 60 to 70 people have been buying early bird on our flights.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It varies widely. If most of the folks onboard also bought EB, then you could be well into the B section, or even C. Lots of variables.

Two side notes - this probably is better in the Getting There and Getting Around. And, if you go to Flyertalk.com and the SW forum, you will find lots more about this.

6. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not unusual to get a B boarding pass with earlybird checkin. I once got B2 as an A list member (which are seated before earlybird). Usually, A List and Plus members take up the boarding passes through A45 or so. So unless you're in the first dozen or so earlybird boarders, you will get a B pass

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  7. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is right. I've booked at 7 am on the day SWA opens up their schedule, or about 7 months in advance, and still only gotten A23 or something like that. So take away 6 and 1/2 months from that, or two weeks in advance, and I could see another 40 or 50 spots going by the boards.

8. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ive booked myself and ive had caesars book my flights...early bird and no EB...i have had middle A's to B's....my thing is now, ill wait the day of the flight and buy EB from the desk...cost $40 one way and $25 coming back but I got low A boarding...enough to get 4-5 row window seats

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A week ago I took my son with me to Vegas, I booked his ticket with points about 4 days before the flight. I went ahead and sprung for the EB, so there wouldn't be an issue getting him to sit by me. He got an A-37 out and A-38 return... both flights were completely sold out. I buy Business Select, so I get on really early and I used my Companion Pass to block an extra seat, so I take the window and he takes the aisle with a middle seat reserved, it's just like "first class"! We're both big guys, so nobody would want to squeeze between us anyways, but that empty seat makes for a very pleasurable hour flight into Vegas.

10. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have gotten mid Bs with early bird. Many people are buying it. Guess it depends on your flight and airport...how many bought. We use to get A 20-30....often now A 60- B 24. I no longer bother and I buy 2 seats with the COS policy. It gets me a preboard and an empty seat between us. Worth it for me now.

11. abileneblues

abileneblues Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally book 4.5-6 months out and get EB. When EB first started, we were typically in the A20s. As time has gone by, we've moved higher in the As each time, even though my booking behavior/timeframe have remained the same. I don't think we've had a B yet, but I imagine it's coming unless I start spending more money.

12. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not too surprised. With EB we usually end up in the A30s. I'll see what happens this time - we booked last month for October and it's a midweek flight later in the day.

13. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    EB has gotten to be a joke really so we have started taking the risk on upgrading to the A 1-15 you can do at the gate, usually only 30 bucks total more than EB and much better boarding position, Now all I have to do is figure how to get preboard with the front row seats like happened our last two flights.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy a cane! :evillaugh

15. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was the real interesting thing Joe, of the Preboards who took the front seats only one had a physical issue, which being an exit row seat I thought was a big no no, one was a seat extender again seriously this kid could not exit fast unless he rolled so how is he getting an exit row seat, and the other pres were the injured guys kids and two men who were in no way incapacitated but still got Preboard status. I questioned SW on their Twitter and they were pretty damn vague as to what the criteria was for pre status.

16. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a well known fact that SWA has miraculous healing powers. Some people who get on with a wheelchair/cane etc are able to walk off the plane just fine without one in Vegas. :wink2:

17. willywilkes

willywilkes Low-Roller

You are correct that preboard cannot sit in exit rows- I don't know if I'd start a fight over it but it would still make me mad. I also wish preboard only allowed one companion max, but I think SW likes to be vague.

18. buddhaluv

buddhaluv Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got b on early check in once, but realized when I got on the plane there must have been 40 people already on the plane on top of the A group, so lot of depends on those scenarios. B still should let you sit together, may not be in the front of the plane but the difference is probably on 5 minutes of deplaning.

19. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, the plane may already have folks onboard, and those folks could be in exit rows.

Next, they do have a pretty good system for pre-boards NOT getting exit row. On a recent trip, I had A-1 on two segments (last minute full fare purchase). When the person with A-1 boards, they actually take there boarding pass and give to the Flight Attendant. At that point, they announce "General Boarding" to the crew so they know the pre-boards are done and others can now take exit rows.

Do pre-boards (handicapped, etc) sometimes beat the system? Probably, but not on flights where I was A+

20. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    None of these were already on the plane, I saw each one of them sitting in the preboard area .Just an addition to this I was A-6, BTW I have never on any flight seen the A-1 pass person give the pass to the flight attendant at any of the airports we fly out of or into over the years that must be something they do where you live at, I have never ran into this situation till the flights this month and we fly SW every trip.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.