1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Crosswalk Between Gold Coast and Rio

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by smooth899, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smooth899

smooth899 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I wanted to let everyone know that a pedestrian crosswalk (with stop lights) has been installed on Valley View between the Gold Coast and Rio. Easy access from the Gold Coast garage to the side entrance of Rio. Was very handy and I didn't feel guilty for jaywalking like I usually do :nono: I didn't notice it when I was in town last month so it must be fairly new.

2. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know, thanks.

3. h_upmann

h_upmann Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice. I've been guilty of jaywalking there for years.

4. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice..same here, jaywalk from the back of GC parking garage to the side of the Rio.

5. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We'll be at the Gold Coast for a week in September. Thanks. They certainly needed it.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great to know... now if people will just use it!

7. azbob

azbob MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only took the death of two tourists crossing there earlier this year.

8. Wistful Walt

Wistful Walt Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is indeed good news. My wife and I are no longer agile enough to do the jaywalking thing, and find the walk via the lights at the Flamingo corner a bit too onerous. It is all we can do to navigate a visit to the Palms & back from the GC.
    But a crossing complete with lights from the GC make a visit to the Rio a doable option for our planned Sept visit. Now if the gambling Gods can co-operate and let us win a few shekels there that will be great. We have never had much success at the Rio in the past, and truthfully, do not think the slots there pay as often as the same ones at the GC (or Orleans). I guess several non winning visits will generate that sort of attitude.

9. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is great news. The only way to make it across before was to jaywalk.

10. sukiran

sukiran Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be careful out there. it doesn't matter if you see the new crosswalk, if some coked-up driver doesn't. That whole area from Rio-to-GC-to-Palms is a shooting gallery and you're the target.

11. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now, that's the kind of useful news that makes VMB so terrific. I wish the crosswalk would have been there when I stayed at the Rio; and when staying at GC, I can't find a good excuse to go back.

12. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dumb foreigner time.... What counts as 'Jaywalking'? It can't be just crossing anywhere without a Walk/Don't Walk signal as you'd not be allowed to cross any suburban street.

Easter 2024
  13. vegasfan

vegasfan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yay!! I was always too chicken to jaywalk and went down to the lights. That street looks empty but the cars come up fast.

14. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, that's great news. I cross the street from Rio to GC and back all the time. It must have been done recently as i was there last month.
    I'll be there again in November...........thanks.

15. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, not that restrictive. The expectation is that you cross at an intersection with traffic or in a marked crosswalk. In this case, folks were crossing (very slowly) in the middle of a street that folks tend to speed on.

16. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That 's good news... most of us who make that trek (between GC & Rio) do the jaywalk/cut-through-the-parking-garage route.
    Question: Has anyone timed this thing? If the wait for a green is too long, I suspect many will still cross on the red...still, that will still be better than it was, given that there's now a marked cross-walk.

Annual Spring Trip!
  17. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm kind of surprised. I've crossed there MANY times and traffic is always light. But it's still a good idea I guess from a safety standpoint.

18. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know. I've never had any issue, ah, jaywalking there, but good to know they've put in a crosswalk.

19. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vic, most of the time the traffic is light, but in my case, since i can no longer run or even jog, i have to be extra careful, so if i'm going towards GC, i make sure i can cross from Rio to the medium safely. Then once i'm in the medium, i make sure the oncoming traffic is stopped at the far end because even for short distances, the most i can do is walk fast.
    I would be interested in knowing what the timer is set as......15 sec, 30 sec?

20. smooth899

smooth899 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's another good thing about this crosswalk....the wait for a green is minimal. I saw a couple use the crosswalk just before me. When I got to the crosswalk I pushed the button to cross and the light changed within seconds. I noticed the same thing coming back. Some people on the other side of the street pressed the button right after I had crossed and the light changed very quickly after.

If I remember correctly, the light allowed 25 seconds to cross.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.