1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by wpete, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just installed it. So far.....eh.

To use Cortana you must establish a Windows ID. It didn't like it so I created a new one. It asked for the password twice in order to get rid of it, in order to log in with a pin number instead. Took it the first time, not the 2nd. Not sure if it's a bug or not. Gonna wait a couple days and see if there's an update.

Anyone else install it today? I think today was the release date.

2. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's Microsoft and you are a beta tester. I'm giving it 6 months, at least.

3. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree about being a beta tester.. I will wait at least two months before I even consider it. I am in no rush.

4. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does the free upgrade expire after a certain amount of time?

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My understanding was 1 year to get the free update, but then I was told there is an annual fee for Win10. I was also told there is an option to buy a lifetime contract. I'm in no rush to get rid of Win 7, so I haven't investigated.

6. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I were early Windows 10 users. It did not go well. Neither of us liked the Edge layout or functions. And, it really bugged us that our bookmarks and regularly used programs were forced aside. There are ways to avoid the forced prioritization of functions - but it was frustrating to have to deal with it. Using the advanced install function did not help much - as programs we did not want seized control.

In frustration, I deleted Windows 10 from my home computers yesterday. Again, that process was frustrating as well. The Windows 10 uninstall program was not supposed to wipe out prior updates and installs - but it did. I had to resort to using restore points instead.

Maybe the experience of my wife and I with Windows 10 was an anomaly. Maybe not. We're sticking with 8.1 for now.

Bill

7. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I installed Win 10 on my laptop this morning and the jury is still out. There are some things I like, some I don't, and more than a few things I'm still trying to figure out. Overall, I'm finding going from Win 7 to 10 a lot easier than it was going from XP to 7. (I wisely skipped over 8.) I'm not in a big rush to load it onto our main desktops and spare machines; and if I do, it will be on other drives to eliminate possible risk or regret.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a fan of upgrading Windows. Normally you get the best results from a clean install and I don't have to patience to do that. I haven't heard a compelling reason to upgrade and when I read the free upgrade offer, it felt like there was a piece of the puzzle I was missing. I wouldn't be shocked that piece was an eventual subscription fee. I will give them the year to convince me to upgrade but I am fine with 7 for the time being.

9. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the first things I checked after installing (which took about an hour), was the ability to revert back to Windows7. I can, so if 10 turns out not to be my thing or if there is some fee attached at a later date, I can always go back to 7. But for right now, it's free and I can still post on VMB.

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, it's free for its lifetime. After the one year, you'll have to pay to upgrade, but they've been quite clear that it's not going to be a subscription model.

Personally, I like it. I don't care so much about the new features (Cortana, etc., although the new Edge browser is great), but the Start menu is back and there's more functionality. Also, for whatever my own experience is worth, I've had zero issues thus far, and that's true even though I have some weird drivers and features on mine. My Alienware lighting works great, my random printing/scanning drivers didn't need upgrading, Citrix runs fine, etc.

11. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree completely, and always do a clean OS install. With the laptop, however, its Win 7 OS was almost pristine; the machine had hardly been used, and was "upgraded" to Win 10 entirely out of curiosity! So far, however, I can't think of any reasons to upgrade the other Win 7 machines here, which would definitely be clean installs. I'll have to play with the laptop a lot more before deciding.

Some of the start menu "features" have frustrated the hell out of me, while the "help" articles I've come across evidently reference pre-release versions that don't apply. I try not to do
    the "old dog - new tricks thingy", but after wasting more than a few hours, installed "StartIsBack." Now I can effortlessly switch between the "new and improved" Windows 10 menu and the familiar Win 7 menu - the best of both worlds. As for reverting to Win 7, sooner or later, we'll all be using what M$ wants us to use. :)

12. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have my purchased OEM copy on its way from newegg

13. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm old...
    I really liked 3.1...
    I really liked 98SE...
    I really liked XP...
    I despised Vista...
    I despised 8...
    I paid "extra" for 7 (avoiding the default 'Vista' that came with my PC), and I LOVE 7...

I think I'll be waiting on 10 until plenty of folks have had plenty of time to render opinons based on several months of experience.

14. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking of using a clean install also. But, I read that in order to do a clean install, you first have to do the upgrade, then the clean install.
    . Why would you have to do the upgrade before the clean install?
    Does that make any sense?

15. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no Windows key when you get the upgrade. When Windows 10 activates on your computer it scans all the hardware and comes up with a machine code which the license is associated with. This code is stored at MS with the corresponding Windows 10 key. When you do a clean install, it will automatically activate as long as there was no major change in hardware.

They've been doing this for the past few years with Windows 8.1 machines. If you notice, there is no sticker on the outside of the computer case with the Windows key.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.