1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Charcoal Grilled Steak

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Jul 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a bone-in Rib Eye steak for grilling on charcoal. I paid $13.68 for it. It's about a pound and a quarter and right around an inch thick.

I realize that $13.68 is a drop in the bucket for a lot of people, but it means something to me. I have a tendency to overcook my steaks on the grille and then I'm pissed off until I get drunk.

I like my steaks just a bit past medium rare, but not quite medium, sort of medium medium rare.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Also having fresh picked white corn and a baked potato.

Just for an aside, it is just about THE perfect summer day here in Southern Maryland.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take it out of the fridge an hour ahead of cooking. Over white ash charcoal, no more than 4-5 minutes per side. You have to have mushrooms with that steak!

3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great meal and a nice hunk o' beef, breeze. Agree with Joe on getting the steak out of the chiller in advance and on the finger test. My wife has an uncanny ability to assess doneness by smell. Don't ask me how, she's a woman, we're guys. Mystery stuff.

Don't forget to let it rest before carving into it.

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great tips so far.

Joe, I just bought one of those basket type things for grilling mushrooms, onions and peppers right off my pepper plants. I gonna try that!

6. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our favorite steak recipe came from Mark at Ace Hardware in Norcross, GA. He's their Big Green Egg expert and has given us many tips. And while we love rib eyes and NY strip, we've mainly been going with fillets as of late. Anyway, here's what we do, which has always turned out great:

Get the Egg verrrrry hot, (several hundred degrees). Sear the steak for 2 minutes, then turn over for another 2 minutes keeping the same orientation.
    Turn the steak over at a 90 degree angle for another 2 minutes, and then over again for 2 more minutes maintaining same orientation. This produces the sought-after crosshatched grill marks.

Reduce heat to 400-450 and cook for 2-5 additional minutes with no more turning or flipping.

Obviously, there are a few variables that enter into this: the thickness of the steak, temperature of the grill, and of course, how well (or rare) you want it cooked. Times are only estimates to explain the process, and are always adjusted for the thickness of the steak. We NEVER measure anything ... as this grill master considers it much more art than science!

For corn on the cob, we merely soak for an hour in water and throw on the grill - no other preparation. We usually place on the grill before the steaks and turn every few minutes. The silk comes right off with the husk, though it is a bit difficult when hot.

Darn - this is making me hungry and it's still morning!

7. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can take the guesswork out of it by using a thermometer. They range anywhere from around $10 to around $100 or more for an instant read. Medium rare is between 130 and 135. It has many other uses in the kitchen (such as a thanksgiving turkey) or for the grill/BBQ.

Here is a chart for more temperatures
    http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/MeatTemperatureChart.htm

8. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the corn we take off most of the husk and silk before cooking.
    lay out a double sheet of aluminum foil,
    lay some of the husks down and add the corn,
    some H2o and buddah, make a packet.
    place on upper rack and the corn will steam.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing like a steak on the grill. For the last several years I've used the two-zone method. I put a light drizzle of EVOO followed by a dusting of Kosher salt and black pepper on the room temperature steak. The first part of the process is to put the steak over direct heat for a minute to a minute and a half on each side to get a good sear. Next step is to move the steak into the second zone which is adjacent to the direct heat, but not over the coals. About three minutes on each side should be just right for an inch thick steak.

I know what I'm having for dinner tonight :beer:

11. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Acorn kamado grill, similar to a green egg. Reducing the heat is measured in hours, not minutes. That thing gets hot! If you have the time, it's a fun way to cook.

I was going to recommend the "feel" method but BLM beat me to it. I like my steak well done on the outside with a slight burn with a gradient to almost red in the very center.

12. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're absolutely right in noting that the grill stays hot for a long time. I basically cut and pasted what I had typed from notes over a year ago and should have left out the part about reducing heat. In fact, we've never even tried lowering the temperature if additional cooking is desired. But aside from that embarrassing slipup, we follow the flip and turn as written. We also douse the steaks with Worcestershire Sauce and keep in the fridge for an hour or two prior to bringing to room temperature and cooking with a little salt and pepper. Like you, we like our steaks well done on the outside, but medium to medium-well on the inside.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the beauty of protein and a fire source*, of whatever kind. Many ways, many forms, many good tastes.

*Sashimi, tartar, poke, etc. excepted, of course.

14. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    getting the charcoal right is key.

that take some practice.

but overcooking is just a matter of leaving it on too long.

I generally get my steaks cut at 2" and use a thermometer and pull when the center is around 120.

then put it on the plate and cover with a bowl or foil and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting into it at all. <---- this is a must!

it will coast up from there and makes sure I don't overcook it.

there's nothing more disappointing than taking all the time to pick out the steak, prepare it, grill it and get your glass of wine ready and....

it's toast.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A nice magenta, maybe deep raspberry hue to the middle is most acceptable. Anyway, overcooking meat is carcinogenic, and bad for the vital bugs in our guts.

Trust me, you just read it on the internet.

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How funny... I TOTALLY subscribe to that method and was thinking of how to describe it and BAM, you posted the video! It works... just remember Breeze, you can always put it back on the grill if need be, but once overcooked, no coming back!

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up with family and holiday get togethers where the roast beast was desecrated and come breakfast time, eggs got the same abuse. Early on in high school, I farmed out to a friend's family and was told in no uncertain terms what hit the table in that household is what and how we ate. And that is how I came to love bloody red meat and runny eggs.

18. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're gonna do that, cook up the veggies up before you start the steak. Trust me on this.

I also like to microwave the onions before grilling them.

19. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just finished and it was GREAT! Perfect sear and nice pinkish red all the way through, maybe a little to the red side but it was literally like cutting through butter.

The touch method worked really well.

I decided to put my veggies in foil and they came out, shall we say al dente, but that's a good thing. The baked potato was perfect. The trick about leaving some of the husk on the corn was very good.

It was so good that I would say if I were in Vegas and got that same meal, I would tip 25%. I have paid over $100 in Vegas and did not get a meal as good as that.

THANK YOU, ONE AND ALL!!!! :beer:

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, breeze, east coast or not, you're eating on the Sun City schedule!!!

Glad it worked out, bud. Take that 25% and buy yourself something!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.