1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A bet I will probably lose

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by sandman992, Jul 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandman992

sandman992 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I have a bet that I can't buy beer for 60days. So I did the math and that would fund my airfare to vegas($240 a month) yes I may have a problem. So by Sept 18th I'm hoping that a flight is booked for Jan. I will keep you posted if anyone cares. But I am having one last go around tonight.

2. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be sure to set the money saved aside. I did that with smoking...paid for a Vegas trip in six months! Good luck:nworthy:

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I assume that this means you can't substitute another tasty (and, more importantly, habit-satisfying) beverage for the brew? If so...yikes! :eek: I'll pull for you but that's going to be an incredibly painful wager to win.

4. sandman992

sandman992 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My daughter will get the money each night,and she is a bullheaded 24 yr old that will hide it good.

5. sandman992

sandman992 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really only drink beer, but if we go to a wedding reception that alcohol is provided its all good. I just can't spend money on beer for 60 days. But I'm still going to try and not have any. So far I've had 4 laughs in the face and my elderly mother is the only one on my side

6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mom's will always side with and protect their sons. Good Luck and I hope you pull it off. If you don't, no big deal.

Tell your wife you wanna go to Vegas anyway. She'll probably give in knowing you tried.

7. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wife and I quit smoking and 18 months later money saved paid for Vegas 2014, Nassau Bahamas 2014, New York City 2014.

Put the money aside it works!

Cheers

8. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gave up bourbon for this month, wife just laughed
    next sunday will be a month....god its going to taste good next weekend

9. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you! Don't underestimate how proud that 24 year old will be of you.

My dad was quite a heavy drinker for basically his entire adult life. It wasn't necessarily a problem, but it was something I, as a 28 year old, have always worried about. He one day decided to just go cold turkey and he's been "dry" for 15 months. He still drinks "non-alchoholic" beer because he enjoys the taste, but that's it. No beer, wine, etc. I know a few weeks ago he had box seats to the Canadian Grand Prix and he talked about how hard it was for him to stay clear of the free drinks, but he did it and I couldn't be prouder.

10. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh I've done it before, just needed a break from Vegas level drinking volume
    my wife comes from a family of non drinkers so doesn't understand that Danish moderate drinking makes Irish/russians look like mormons

so I took a month off..only hard the first 48 hrs

gotta say I do wake up earlier and feel better, then again the weather went from 110F to mid 80's too
    which helps sleep given that she turns off the A/C and shuts the windows at night

either way it's something I can take or leave, but prefer not to..because people are boring w/o it
    and as a work at home dad? yeah I'm kinda stuck at the house except for Vegas

11. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! I gave up beer for Lent once (never had done Lent and the wife said you had to give up something important to you personally). Turned out it was a 6 week sabbatical. When I found out that (after the first week or so) I went WTF? But I made it but haven't quit since then. It will be a good test for your merit and actually give you a good perspective on how much you are actually spending on the craft. Good luck!!

12. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I needed to lose weight and decided I would quit drinking beer for a while and see if I could knock off some pounds. That was January '91 and I haven't had one since. I lost some weight...several times :rolleyes2: Anyway, I'm back up to my 1990 size and don't know what to do, since I can't stop drinking beer. I've heard that diet and exercise can help, but they sure don't sound like fun :thumbsdown:

13. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have periodically hit-the-wagon for 30 days...just because it's a good idea to at least assume some control over the stuff...
    What has worked for me at home is tonic-water and a bottle of 'Real-Lime'... poured over ice, it provides the illusion of a really weak gin & tonic... which is my go-to drink, 2nd only to beer.

For just beer? Of the NAs, I've tried Buckler, O'Doul's & Sharps.
    Out of them, Sharps - ICE cold - in bottles, was the best (meaning it came closest to sort-of tasting like real beer).
    The other thing that can work is keeping a supply of diet ginger-ale in the fridge.
    I don't know if you smoke, but if you do, the ginger-ale goes about as good with a cigarette as beer does.

Good luck! I think you can win this bet... and then catch-up when you get to Vegas!
    :beer:

Annual Spring Trip!
  14. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should have reminded the wife that Sundays are "islands in Lent"... meaning that whatever you give up for Lent, you are permitted on Sundays during Lent. (Look it up!)

Annual Spring Trip!
  15. LinLV

LinLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck!! I'm positive you can do this!

16. Packer Backer

Packer Backer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stopped drinking for LENT 5 years ago... it was so refreshing that now I do my own personnel Lent every year. Give up drinking the Weds after Super Bowl ( after all of football season, thanxgiving, christmas, new years and Playoffs) and continue up to Good Friday before Easter. Then Go to Vegas for Easter Weekend and let the wheels come off.

17. sandman992

sandman992 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the help everybody, I did make the first day and Monday's were always tough for me. I work 10hrs then I come home and work on house remodel stuff and it was hard cause I like to have beer when working at home. If I keep it up I will probably gain 20 lbs that I don't need,drinkers will know what I mean. Wife is pissed cause I told her she won't look as pretty anymore if I'm not drinking for awhile haha

18. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    tell her "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!"

my wife knows better, because I'm too tall to sleep on the couch, LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.