1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas, Grand Canyon 6-9-05 to 6-18-05

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Scott R, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott R

Scott R Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Wish I had time to write up a detailed report, but just have to much going on right now.

6-9-05 Stayed at Vegas Club in the south tower, room met my needs just fine.

I did have the pleasure of spending the afternoon with Falcon Rob & Hurricane Mikey. We had lunch at the Bay City Diner, rolled the dice together, and had a good time visiting.

Spent 6-10 to 6-14 at the Grand Canyon on a solo backpacking trip, it was the Hermit Trail, Tonto Trail, Bright Angel Trail Loop.

For anyone thats thinks they would like to do a back country hiking trip in the Grand Canyon please be advised. This hiking trip was brutal, my pack weighed over 50 Lb. I saw no one for over 48 hours. The only water available the first 3 days of my trip came from creeks and springs and had to be filtered and / or treated. I do not recommend anyone do this sort of thing alone as I did.

4th stay at IP 6-15 to 6-18 room was fine for me, they comp my low roller play, and drink service is good.

2. HardEight

HardEight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scott...

The wife and myself were at the Grand Canyon and Vegas from 6-10 through 6-18. Almost identical trips because we were at the Grand Canyon 6-11 through 6-14. What an incredible place! She had been wanting to go for a few years and I finally gave in and I'm so glad that I did. We went hiking down Bright Angel Trail while we were there and did more hiking along the Rim Trail. Spectaular views and great weather other than the rain on Sunday the 12th. Were you out hiking during the rain?

HardEight

3. Scott R

Scott R Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HardEight,
    It rained on me a couple times on Saturday the 11th while hiking. The rain felt great, but the lightning did concern me somewhat cause there isn't any cover. Then most of that night and into the very early AM on Sunday it rained on me while I was in camp.
    Glad you had a good time.
    How far did you go down the Bright Angel?

4. HardEight

HardEight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scott,

We only went down to the 1.5 mile spot. Neither of us had ever been hiking before and we don't exercise regularly so we thought that would be a good stopping point. We went out to Hermit's Rest and hiked back along the rim trail a little over 5 miles. That was more of our speed. Did you hike all the way down to the Colorado River? I think it would be awesome to hike down to Pahntom Ranch someday...

One of the Park Rangers told us that someone was struck by lightning on the North Rim on Sunday. Pretty scary stuff...

5. Straitlover

Straitlover Low-Roller

My sis and I are going for an overnight at GC (first timers) on our October trip. Any suggestions for 2 early 40's not in great but not really bad shape gals re short hiking trails???

HardEight, where did y'all stay? We are staying at Maswik Lodge South. I know it's not a palace, but I hope it's clean and comfortable! Any diding recommendations, good but not too expensive?

6. HardEight

HardEight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Straitlover,

We stayed at Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn just outside the park. It was not too fancy but very clean. The only place that impressed us as far as dining goes was eating in the El Tovar dining room for lunch one day. It was awesome! It's kinda pricey for dinner, but not too bad for lunch.

I would try and enter the park pretty early in the morning if at all possible, otherwise you might have a pretty decent line of cars waiting to pay to enter the park ($20 per car for a week of fun!).

Regrading trails, I would suggest some hiking along the rim trail. Be careful if you don't have hiking shoes on because some points get pretty close to the side and tennis shoes just don't have the traction.

Take time to watch the sunset over the Canyon. The wiew is priceless. We were not as impressed with the sunrise. You might be though.

If you have time, I would make it to both ends of the south rim as the scenery varries vastly from one end to the other.

Fell free to pm me if you have any other questions. I don't wanna hijack Scott's thread any more than I have already.

Also, the temperature varries quite a bit once the sun goes down. My wife was wearing a sweatshirt because she was cold.

Have a great trip and take lots of pictures!

HardEight

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scott, I salute your spunk.

8. Scott R

Scott R Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HardEight,

I didn't hike to the river on this trip, but the views of the river from the Tonto platform were real good.

Last year I hiked the South Kaibab down to Phantom Ranch where I stayed overnight in the dorms then hiked out on the Bright Angel Trail the next morning.
    If you decide to do this one someday, a few months before you go, start hiking on stairs with a pack on several times a week.

This years trip was much more difficult. Heavier pack, unmaintained trails, lots of rockslides on the Hermit to work through, sometimes the trail just seems to disappear and you have to follow the cairns down a drainage or through the rockslides until you pick it back up. The heat on the Tonto trail is brutal this time of year.

Straightlover,

I stayed in a cabin at Maswik this year, it was clean worked for me, there was no air conditioner in the cabin just a ceiling fan.

If you want to hike a little way into the canyon stick with the Bright Angel Trail the first time. Start walking on stairs before your trip, it will make a big difference. Remember to start early, wear good sturdy shoes or boots, take water, salty snacks, and first aid, even for a short day hike.
    It will take twice as long to hike out as it did to get down.

Ken,
    Thanks.

Scott R

9. HardEight

HardEight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scott,

Thanks for the tip. :)

One of the Park Rangers was telling my wife and I about all of the rain they had received at the Canyon this year. It had caused several rockslides and more vegitation to grow. I'm guessing this was reasoning for your difficult trek. We even had difficulty following a portion of the Rim Trail. Bright Angel was very heavily traveled so it was no problem at all...

10. Falcon_Rob

Falcon_Rob Flying Winnebago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scott,

Glad to hear you survived the Canyon! I enjoyed browsing through the pictures. Nice meeting you and Mikey on the 9th! Wish we would have had better luck at the tables. At least you got to see me drink my very first football of beer!

Hope the IP was way better to you than me this trip!!!!!

Give me a call if you ever pass through on I-75!

Rob

11. bluestreak

bluestreak Tourist

All you GC goers need to know that the south rim is at 7000 feet elevation and the north 8000. Every 1000 feet costs you 4% in oxygen.

Three people a year fall in. First freeze averages the third week in Sept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.