1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

When you fly to LAS is it on a Tu / Th and / or a low fare airport

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Jul 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you fly to LAS do you go on a Tu / Th which is usually when the low fares are in effect. Also do you get or try to fly from a low fare airport like BWI, CMH, MDW and so forth. One other thing will you pay more to fly another carrier SW versus Spirit or Frontier versus Allegiant.

2. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pick the days I want to go and then look for my flights. For me, Thursdays are not a lower fare. Tuesday and Wednesdays generally are lower. I usually fly into Vegas on a Thursday or Friday and out on a Monday or Tuesday.
    I will only fly non stop direct. For me, a connection is too time consuming.
    I choose the airport closest to my home (15 minutes away). To me it isn't worth it to drive an hour or 2 to save a small amount on the flight.

3. rayrat

rayrat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, we fly on Tuesday on Southwest from Nashville, the only non-stop airline. No Spirit, Frontier, or Allegiant here, but not interested in flying them.

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not always Tuesday/Thursday for us, but I do usually look for what days are the lowest cost - I'll use a travel site and look at the prices of one-way flights for each day going down and coming back and then usually find a combo that works for price and how long we want to stay.

I have a preference of airlines I like to fly and will usually seek out their fares first and when making my notes of prices highlight them, usually going with one of them over the others - though if I could get a great deal with one of the other airlines I wouldn't have a problem choosing them.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've pretty much given up on pricing flights. We pay what it is.

Requirements are non-stop and Fri-Tues. Golf and bowling leagues on Wed & Thur dictate which days we fly.

Thanksgiving gives us an extra day and this year Christmas Eve on a Thursday also gives us one extra day for flying options.

6. BlackJackLady

BlackJackLady High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have found that sometime a Saturday flight to Vegas is cheapest, usually stay in a cheaper hotel for that 1 night - last time we did this saved 85.00 per person and 1 night at the Riveria was only $38.00 for the Saturday night - not a bad deal. We're not set on our days so will look at flights on any day.

7. FLHfan

FLHfan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are equal distance from DTW, CMH and CLE. Usually fly out on Tue or Wed on low fare days. CLE is much cheaper than CMH and a little better than DTW. We never get cheap flights from TOL. WTF?

8. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What surprises me is that a Saturday might be a better price than other days. Thanks for expanding my horizon and maybe others.

9. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always fly Southwest since it's about our only choice for non-stop flights. Their fares (St. Louis-Las Vegas) are usually cheaper for Tuesday & Wednesday, so we go on Wednesday and return on Tuesday (6 nights). We arrive early Wednesday morning & leave Tuesday evening. Works for us.

10. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't read the entire thread...

We fly Allegiant (when we do fly) out of Stockton, CA....usually flying into LAS on a Wednesday, and out on a Saturday.
    We can't swing those days all the time..which is why we rent a car and drive ($50 for the rental Thur-Sun; and usually like $150 for Gas total)

If we were to fly Allegiant on Thur-Sun, it'd be like $300 EACH...so it's basically a non-option, unfortunately (I love to fly!)

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fuck, that's commitment! I've got a 204 book average and I still choose Vegas over league play! lol

12. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's pretty much what I do these days. I always fly AA, and try to do either Thursday-Sunday or Friday-Tuesday, but it's just not worth it any more to screw around just to try to save $50. And I'm certainly not going to skip my Thanksgiving trip.

13. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always

- fly Southwest
    - catch the first flight out on either Saturday or Sunday
    - depart from MDW

always.

14. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I end up leaving on Saturday a lot for the best departure rate and come back midweek for the same reason. I can still find decent fares on Sunday if I start looking early enough but the odds are every flight out will be full. On a Sauturday or midweek flight, there's a chance for a less than full flight. Midway was our low fare airport but now all but maybe five gates are controlled by Southwest so that's not the case. Since the majors are gunning for the ala carte airlines this year, it doesn't matter as much.

Anyone else miss those dirt cheap charter flights?

15. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've tried to fly on tues/weds due to lower prices. Trouble is we don't want to pay for a hotel on the strip for a weekend. Once I balance flight prices vs hotel prices....nothing works out right. In April it worked since we stayed for 9 nights. Arrived Tues from BDL 3 nights comped Ballys, Fri/Sat comped at South Point then finished with 4 nights paid at Mirage to leave on thursday. Either higher flights or higher hotel rates wash each other out for us.

16. Guy_

Guy_ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually have specific days I want to be in vegas for, either for a convention, special event like a birthday, etc.
    so if I adjust my flight to be a cheaper day it makes my trip longer (not just move the days). Any money saved by cheaper airfare is usually lost by gambling/activities.

so I just go with the days I want now and consider the trade off equal.

17. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to purchase when SW has a sale (now). And it's more cost-effective to fly out of BWI vs National for me. It's pretty much the same cost to get there via public transportation - Express bus to BWI or Metro to National. I pick days that fit into mine and my sisters schedules and go from there.

18. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in a small area and the only direct flight to Vegas is Allegiant. They only fly out 2-4 days a week depending on the time of year so I try to schedule it so I can get 5 nights in Vegas. The last couple of trips it's been Sunday-Friday and one solo trip Monday-Friday. The next airport that's bigger than here is in Spokane and it isn't worth a two hour drive to try anything there when the flight to Vegas is the same length.

19. reen1962

reen1962 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We live in the middle of nowhere so the discount airline - Allegiant is located 2 1/2 hours away. There are only two flights in and out per week and that just doesn't work for us. We drive 4 1/2 hours to DIA - Denver and almost always fly SW. Their times work for us and we've been satisfied with their service. We flew Spirit one time but the flight was delayed 2 1/2 hours. That's not acceptable to me.

It's Been Too Long 'Ol Friend! :-)
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.