1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wine, Wine, Everywhere Some Wine! MrsFuri & MrFuri Drink It Up in Napa!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by MrsFuri, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Hello Friends and Degens...

Was THINKING about maybe to a TR on our upcoming Napa trip... which may roll right into a 4 night Vegas trip (still trying to work out the details... sort of a "make-up" for our last trip where MrFuri got the plague). Is this anything anyone would be interested in?

I noticed several non-gaming TR's, but a lot are gaming related (Atlantis, Tunica, Etc...), so I'm just wondering... would a Napa, non-gaming, TR be ok?

The plan so far...

Friday, July 31st
    * Into SF
    * Staying at The Fairmont San Francisco in a Balcony Suite
    * Dinner at Gary Danko

Saturday, August 1st
    * Sparkling Suite Tasting at Domaine Chandon (it's a driving in tradition)
    * Silver Oak Release Day Party
    * Tasting at Larkmead
    * Lunch and Tasting at Chimney Rock (a friend is the winemaker)
    * Staying at Calistoga Ranch in an Oak Creek Spa Lodge
    * Dinner on our Terrace from Lakeside (Room Service, basically)

Sunday, August 2nd
    * Pick up Snacks from Dean & Deluca (Picnic Stuff)
    * Schramsburg Cave Tour
    * Tasting at Laura Michaels
    * Tasting at Vincent Arroyo
    * Tasting at Robert Sinskey
    * Napa Wine Train Vista Dome Car Dinner (I have been, hubs never has)

Hubs and I have been to Napa, 20 or so times... and I've been with girlfriends another 5 times or so. We LOVE Napa!

Here are some of my favorite pics from past trips....

395746_10151260790447742_1603681097_n.jpg 1509235_10151839044127742_156535321_n.jpg 1525263_10151838582222742_400515972_n.jpg
    10155915_10152025765717742_5685494619462189520_n.jpg napa.jpg 531805_10151267793997742_1438349969_n.jpg
    150538_458582122741_5769470_n.jpg 154201_458579577741_1780291_n.jpg 155368_458585437741_8055235_n.jpg
    154503_458583367741_303312_n.jpg 154755_458583847741_1309097_n.jpg 154459_457279452741_2617890_n.jpg

So what say you? Should I trip report this?

-MrsFuri

2. kboltwkreations

kboltwkreations Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please please do a trip report!! We are going over Labor Day for the first time and would love to hear insights and recommendations! :)

3. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok! They I'll do it :) If you guys are into wine... you're going to love it! I can certainly provide any info and recommend many things, based on your likes :) I think we may be in Vegas at the same time on your trip to Aria... (we are still deciding if we can make going work)... if we do, MrFuri and I would be happy to buy a round of drinks and do a meetup, if you guys are free!

Either way, best of luck on your trip and enjoy Napa!

4. caddy1969

caddy1969 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great report.
    Do it. Have you ever done the Opus One winery? Put a bottle in a box for my daughter to open on her fifth wedding anniv.

Keep up the great reports!!!

5. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    May I recommend the Del Dotto Napa Historic Winery & Tasting Room. The old winery, not the new one. Take the Wine barrel tour. Very romantic and you taste probably 20 wines. Here are the wines you will sample.

Cabernet Franc
    Cabernet Sauvignon
    Chardonnay
    Dessert Wine
    Merlot
    Pinot Noir
    Port Wine
    Red Table Wine
    Rosé
    Sangiovese
    Sauvignon Blanc
    Super Tuscan Blend
    Syrah
    Zinfandel
    Fantastic tour. Great wines. But take a limo. You will be feeling good when you are done.

6. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is a wonderful present... you are in the running for best dad ever, caddy!

We have never been to Opus to tour or to do their single release tasting, but maybe I'll add that to our list. We've almost gone, many times and I don't really know why we haven't. It might be a nice bottle to pickup to enjoy in our room... it's pretty opulent (both the wine and the room), super private (just the room) and has a private hot tub on the deck (it would be impressive if a bottle of opus contained a hot tub, or a deck for that matter... so I definitely mean the room)... So Opus and enjoying a hot tub in the Calistoga wilderness... WINNING :)

7. lionelhutz

lionelhutz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    is the Napa wine Train worth the cost??
    we're staying in Santa Rosa at the end of August, and we've been trying to figure out if we want to do the train or some other wine tour.

thanks!!

8. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Tahoe! We have never done Del Dotto either... they have a reputation for being "Del Drunko" :) I'm sure you've heard that! Though, it looks gorgeous and we've considered it many times.

We always take a limo (typically we use Five Emerald Limo or Pleasant Limo)... We actually did an "our car, they drive"... and that was just OK... we prefer the limo)... safety first! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Tahoe! We have never done Del Dotto either... they have a reputation for being "Del Drunko" :) I'm sure you've heard that! Though, it looks gorgeous and we've considered it many times.

We always take a limo (typically we use Five Emerald Limo or Pleasant Limo)... We actually did an "our car, they drive"... and that was just OK... we prefer the limo)... safety first! :)

9. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Lionel!

If you've never done it, it's certainly something to experience... but it's not something I'd do again (though I will be doing it for a 2nd time, since my husband has never done it). The train is beautiful, they have some really fantastic wines (which you buy separately) and their food is pretty good. It is, though, a really long journey... you depart by 6:30pm (they ask you to get to the station at 5:30, but that's way too early. You go up Valley and when it's light out, the views are incredible... the wineries are gorgeous and you're going at a great time... HARVEST! So the vines will be full and bountiful... making for beautiful photos and great scenery.

The downside is... you're stuck. On the train. For three hours. And once you go up, you come back the same way, and it's usually dark... so you can't see anything. It's VERY dark in the Valley.

If you don't mind being on a train for three hours and leisurely enjoying food and wine... maybe some coffee... then it's great. For me, it was a little bit overkill, but I hate especially long dinners and I really dislike being stuck. It might seem like I'm not exactly a fan, but that's not true. It's an experience and a pretty iconic one, in Napa. It can be very romantic.

If you do go, book the Vista Dome car. It's elevated and has really big windows, rounding up to the ceiling, which provide the best views. In this car, you also have access to the entire train and you're certainly welcome to roam once the dinner service has completed.

They also have a lunch option, which I haven't done and wouldn't do, because it cuts into the time you have to go visit wineries... which I prefer.

If a tour is more your thing... rent a limo and visit 5-6. Or, you can spend a little less money and do a group tour (Beau Wine Tours and Platypus offer them, daily. I've been on both, and both are great).

If you need any help, let me know, happy to make some recommendations and congrats on your upcoming honeymoon :)

-MrsFuri

10. joesmom

joesmom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh this will be great!! I haven't been to napa in 15 years - will love seeing this report and hearing about the wines you are tasting! Hope you get to add Vegas on the back end!

11. Ernie Vegas

Ernie Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ( I've been calling it Del Blotto, but haven't done it myself. I'm a bit wary)

Looking forward to this. I love TRs from Napa and there's always something new to learn.

12. Sunshine-Elle

Sunshine-Elle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking forward to this report, we are very lucky to live in the Napa of the North, the Okanagan Valley has over two hundred wineries within an hour drive of our place, two of our favourites , Mission Hill, and Quails gate are within a 10 minute stumble. Mission Hills Oculus
    Is one to enjoy. Have a great trip.:wave:

13. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My daughter works at Auberge Du Soleil resort in Napa Valley as a massage therapist. A couple of years ago I went out to visit; stayed one night at the Fairmont...what a grand old hotel, with an interesting history. I spent the next 5 days touring wineries in Sonoma and Napa valley with my daughter...great scenery and delicious wines. Shipped three cases back to Minnesota at the end of the trip. Your photos make me want to make another tour. Looks like you guys had a great time.

14. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's whitejacket! We haven't gone just yet... The pic at the beginning are just old pics from prior trips to get "in the mood" :)

The resort we are staying at is the sister property in the valley to auberge. Lovely hotel :)

We have never stayed at the fairmont, but looking forward to such an iconic hotel. Hopefully it'll live up to its grandeur.

:)

15. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking forward to this....as we just spent a week in SF and then went on to Sanoma (Specifically Jordan), and then to Vegas for a 5 nighter!

16. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've always wanted to do Camp Schramsberg. :thumbsup:

17. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ohhhh that's similar to what we're doing :) YAY! It'll be a fun trip :) Jordan is fabulous!

- - - Updated - - -

It's our first time going... which is crazy... Love their wines and get them occasionally... looking forward to seeing the caves and experiencing where the magic happens :)

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The setting is great, fun tour. And we always have plenty of Schrams bubbles on hand. We had a chance to do "Camp" during harvest several years ago, but had to cancel.

19. Sunshine-Elle

Sunshine-Elle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully the current fires in the area don't disrupt your trip, Stay safe all those battling, and thank you for your efforts.

20. MrsFuri

MrsFuri Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MrFuri and I were JUST talking about this... I hope not, but I mostly hope everyone stays OK and someone saves any potential wine loss! I'll be interested to see how much the "smokey" air affects this years harvest... should be interesting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.