1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sharing a cab to the strip

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Chicken Dinner, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicken Dinner

Chicken Dinner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying in solo this time. Is it creepy to ask people in the taxi line if they want to split a cab to the strip?

2. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think so. I'm more apt to do it heading home though. My thought process is, what can it hurt to ask? It saves everyone involved about $10. Heck, in Vegas, you could consider yourself a "winner winner" with those odds! :evillaugh

50th birthday bash! Cosmo/Horseshoe
    50th birthday bash! Cosmo/Horseshoe
  3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you could try it... i think i would ask someone seated next you or close to you on the plane first.

4. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm uncomfortable asking. But if someone asked me, and they were going to the same place, I'd say, "Hell yeah!" But I only take a cab if I'm with people. If I'm by myself, I take the shuttle. If I'm with someone special, I would arrange for a limo beforehand (and tell the chauffeur to take the tunnel and the strip).

5. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done it once.
    Its all good

6. Seany D

Seany D Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried it once as I was walking very slowly through the cab line maze and people were passing me. Must have asked 7 or 8 parties. No luck. No one was weirded out though.

7. reen1962

reen1962 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you watched the movie - Taken? Ya might want to reconsider this. That movie was just too real for me.

It's Been Too Long 'Ol Friend! :-)
  8. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think it is creepy, but I don't think it will be easy to find somebody to share a ride with:

- In most cities cabs won't do multiple drop offs on the same ride, so you not only have to find somebody willing to share a ride, but you might have to find somebody going to the same hotel as you

- Most of people you will be asking to share a ride with are going to be just starting their vacation, that'll make them less likely to be willing to share a taxi - you are on vacation, why introduce a random, unknown factor in to your vacation plans?

- There isn't much of an enticement for somebody to be willing to share a taxi: in most cities splitting a cab ride with a stranger from the airport to the Downtown area hotels is going to be a $20-30 savings - thats pretty good overall... in Las Vegas because The Strip is so close to the airport any savings is probably only going to be in the area of $7-10

9. mikeyvegas1

mikeyvegas1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last trip to vegas with the wife when we were in the taxi line a guy asked us if we would split a cab I thought it odd at first but looked at the wife and she did not look scared so I said sure. Worked out fine saved about $5 gave a little extra for the tip since the cabbie was a good sport about it too.

Sons 21st birthday trip
  10. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a $10 and zero time savings. I think it's creepy and wouldn't share a cab with a stranger at the Vegas airport.

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What next? "Hey Buddy, wanna split a lunch... I'm not really all that hungry." or "If we sit next to each other at the strip-club, we could split a lap-dance?" Where does the madness end?

12. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, and there's a great chance that you won't have to share it with anybody.

14. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think it is weird, but I would never ask. And if I ever took a cab, I wouldn't say yes to anyone who asked me.

If it's the "savings", $5 or $10 wouldn't warrant it for me. You breath in Vegas and it costs you that much.

15. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do it coming home from bars in my hometown all the time. not creepy at all.

16. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few decades ago (pre limos for me), I remember this happening several times Actually was kind of fun meeting people.

17. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think its creepy but I wouldn't ask someone. If someone asked me I would consider doing it.

18. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you wake up in a bathtub full of ice and missing a kidney, don't say I didn't warn you.

19. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My buddies and I were in the cab line at our hotel a couple of trips ago and a solo guy asked to share a cab to the airport. We said sure and had a great conversation sharing stories about our trip during the drive. No biggie would do it again.

20. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think sharing a cab can be fun, you get to meet people.

I've even shared my limo once. I was waiting for my luggage when a 'kid' came up to his friend and said the cab lines were very long perhaps they should just take a shuttle since the MGM was close. As I was going there I invited them. They were two college guys that were thrilled to be in a limo. Although it was a while ago for me I remember those days and I would have been thrilled too. It was like seeing everything again through their eyes. Was fun and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if the situation came up.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.