1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Advantage rental car

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mikeinct, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinct

mikeinct Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got a great rate from advantage rent a car at the airport. Anyone have any complaints or bad experiences witht them?

2. abescan

abescan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented in Feb.....no problems and got up graded to a full size for free. It was a 4 person line when I got there at about noon on a Sunday.I have read that there can be a big long line because they have good prices and was worried about that, but for me that was not the case.
    I usually like and use Alamo but their prices never came down for that week in Feb.

3. freddywill

freddywill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always get great deals from them, but they try to hard sell you at the airport. Still waiting for the fares to come down in August.

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a good experience picking up at Gold Coast and dropping off @ MSS. Airport pricing was 77 $ for that time period but we paid 107 $. For convenience we paid the extra $'s but realistically we would have had to find transportation to the airport to pick up the car as it was in the 4th day of our trip and then find transportation back to MSS after dropping off at the airport. Could have aligned return with WAX bus schedule but after a long weekend of driving it was just more beneficial to go with the higher rate.
    No hard sell of anything when picking up. Had to initial all the denials and we were quite satisfied. Good luck!

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back when Advantage was the little sister of Hertz, our travel department used to use them quite a bit. I've used them a few times in LV a few years ago with no issues. No push-back on using credit card insurance at all.

Now, more recently, since Hertz spun them off, a co-worker said he saw the Advantage line in LV half-way across the main hall at the LV rental center!

YMMV.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There may be some hard selling at the airport counter but usually when you decline the extras they don't bother you after that (they may ask if you want this or that extra). One recommendation.....check your reservation. If the amount they are billing you isn't the same as the amount when you made your reservation, check your bill. They may be tacking on some extra charge or charges (your bill should be the same amount as your reservation). One time I was charged a daily "lock out" charge that amounted to a few bucks a day - maybe $4 or $5 at most (if you ever get locked out they will come to your car and open the door, otherwise you will have to pay for them to come out) but they removed it when I asked them to. Unlike one sales clerk at dollar I think Advantage clerks are pretty reasonable but may ask if you want certain extras but easy to just say that you don't want/need it.

As for the lines, I think it all depends as other agencies may also have lines. But unlike the fast pass type programs that are available at many of the other major agencies (like thrifty, dollar, budget, etc.) I don't think Advantage has that program to avoid the lines at the counter.

7. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented from them once, made it to McDonald's to grab coffee. When we came out the 5-10 minutes in the sun brought out a nasty vomit/industrial cleaner smell. We went right back and swapped cars, if they were cheapest I would still use them again.

8. wellmel

wellmel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always use advantage and have never had an issue with them.

9. Wezvidz

Wezvidz High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Using Advantage in 3 weeks, best rate I can find Fri-Mon for $138.

I just start at the counter laying down my ID and CC, say I have the insurance covered, I'll fill it up, no upgrade please unless complementary, I have my own GPS. Tell me when to sign.

That eliminates most of the upsell garbage.

10. mikeinct

mikeinct Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everybody for your comments. I rented the car last night at midnight for 176 total. The same car right now at 9pm 19 hrs later is 329. I don't know what the rental car formula for pricing is,but it's probably some computer program. p.s. before you ask I checked and double checked my dates.

11. abescan

abescan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the time I am at Alamo and look across to Dollar/Thrifty and the lines are frequently very long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.