1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tips for flying Delta

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by grosx2, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be flying Delta for business in a couple weeks, round trip from LA to Tampa. I've never flown Delta, unless I did as a child and don't remember. I'm hoping some of the Delta regulars can give me some tips...

I'm booked for standard economy aisle seats for both flights. Is it possible to get upgrades to either first class or comfort plus? How common is it for upgrades to be available? How much do these typically cost? Should I check online a day or two before my flight? Or should I try at the gate?

I assume Delta has a program similar to SWA rapid rewards....do I need to join this to be able to purchase an upgrade? Thanks for any advice! :peace:

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I occasionally get $upgrade offers for first (and am always on a list for free domestic upgrades as I am a skymiles medallion member, but I'm silver this year so bottom of the list ;-) and I can get C+ at check-in for free. I don't know if you will get offers to pay for an upgrade if you are not a medallion member. I know you won't get them for free. You can buy C+ now if you want it, but without medallion status you won't get it free.

Yes, Skymiles. Sign up. It's free, won't hurt, many things aren't available to you unless you're a frequent flyer (silver/gold/platinum/diamond medallion) but other things you can't even get without a skymiles membership.

3. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And your miles never expire, so you don't have to be a frequent flier to eventually see some results.

:beer:

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 - Almost said to post in getting there and getting around forum..... but not related to Vegas.

2 - Your flight will surely have people at the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier (100+ flights a year) trying to get an upgrade. Few will get one.

3 - If you have an aisle seat, you should feel lucky.

4 - Purchase upgrades SOMETIMES are available at the 24 hour mark, and sometimes at the gate. Rarely though.

5 - If you have some cheapo fare, there are no upgrades. If you really have a real economy ticket, you can buy an economy plus for a few bucks - maybe $80? Login and see what is offered.

6 - The other 150 people on the plane also want an upgrade.

Trying to nicely say, there is a long line ahead of you trying to get an upgrade. You have ZERO priority at this point.

Want more airline details? Go to flyertalk.com

5. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta is the way to fly. My favorite airlines personally.

6. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have 2.6 plus Million miles lifetime on Delta. All airlines will disappoint you. They have disappointed me the least over the years, thus earning my loyalty.

Five days before the flight the Diamonds with the most expensive tickets get the upgrades. Delta holds back two seats always for last minute purchases, flight rerouting and people who absolutely must purchase an upgrade. If there are extra seats they go to Platinum, then Gold, then Silver based on a formula explained on their website. At the gate you'll see the upgrade list. I've been on flights where there have been over 100 Medallion members, 14 First Class seats. Nice odds. I've had a $1500 full coach fare, and even as a Diamond was stuck in regular Coach, not even Economy Comfort!

Good luck with your upgrade.

Your service and food depends on the length of the flight and time iof day. Less than 900 miles you get to pick from a snack basket. Yum! Imagine paying full boat First Class and getting a banana for breakfast or a bag of chips with your gin and tonic for dinner! Even if it is over 900 miles at certain times of the day you still get the snack, no lunch. Oh, the meals aren't great. Some are OK. Travel international, that's another thing. Domestic? I usually eat at the airport.

Booze is free. That's a perk I don't accept. Used to but recently just lost the taste for it, just getting older I guess. It's free in economy comfort too by the way.

Hope this helps. Join Skymiles, enjoy your trip!

7. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pretty much will only fly with Delta. I'm Silver Medallion as well.
    I find it worthwhile usually to book first class with them because the price difference really isn't that much more over the economy.
    I've never seen a paid for upgrade to first on Delta but I have been upgraded before (I was gold with KLM previously when those happened and living overseas).
    Domestic economy service is mostly pretzels and occasionally peanuts if no one is allergic.
    Definitely join Skymiles.

Some of the Delta meals are decent so not sure I agree with the banana/bag of chips comment above. I've had that but I've also had things like omelettes, some sort of meat (was actually ok), asian salads etc. I usually fly Austin to LAX or SLC so maybe my flights are more than the 900 miles.

I definitely don't book the full price first class seats though.

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The crazy thing with Delta is if you have a cheap fare they won't let you purchase an upgrade no matter is it's available.

A few years ago before I was medallion, I tried to purchase an upgrade and they said my ticket didn't qualify so they left the seat open and I had to stay in the back.

9. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, travel tips and tips for getting an upgrade... so many questions about tipping lately I thought maybe this was going to be about tipping the staff on your flight. Personally, I would be willing to slip the pilot a fiver for a smooth flight, make that $10 if we get there ahead of scheduled time... but not going to tip a percentage of my ticket cost.

For getting an upgrade on Delta you want to arrive and check in early at the airport and just ask at the counter - you want to be there before everybody else who might want an upgrade gets there.

If they have any general traveler upgrades available then you can just buy it right there... however, they will usually reserve some, or all, of the available upgrades for their Skymiles customers.

If some of those upgrades (the ones held for Skymiles) don't get picked up I don't know if they make those available to the general flyers or not: the last time I flew on Delta (San Francisco to Vancouver) the gate attendants were announcing and pushing the availability of upgrades for Skymiles right up until the time the flight was boarding, so if they say no at the counter you could try the gate as well.

10. grosx2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all!

11. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm, my experiences seem to differ.

I've often seen the option to upgrade either to C+ or first on the website and on the app while looking at my flight details. It hasn't been a tens of dollars one like United sometimes has, but if you're flying coach because that is all the company will pay for and want to fly first, you may end up paying the difference between the fare you bought and the current cost of first.

I think the thing about the lower fare buckets not being able to upgrade is for the times when they offer at the gate, not online. I'd certainly check your reservation on the site, and on the app. I find the price goes up and down during the week, too, so don't jump on the first offer.

Delta is on a big kick to up their numbers on paid first. I'd really be surprised if you can't, but get on it now, before the high medallions get a crack at it.

12. grosx2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks MTB.

Side question: what is the Delta in-flight entertainment experience like? To be more specific, my outbound flight is a week from today....will I be able to watch the final round of the British on ABC?

13. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From what I remember, they don't have live tv. Check out Delta Studio. It's free for first class, pay per view for economy.

14. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they still do have live TV.

15. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Delta almost exclusively, but wish I had the proverbial dollar for every flight I've taken where the entertainment system was down or screwed up! In fact, it makes me wonder how they manage to keep the damn planes in the air! While it's certainly nice to have the seatback display and live TV, be advised that some planes still aren't equipped, as indicated when booking a particular flight.

16. suthrnoutlw

suthrnoutlw Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always fly Delta, always fly first class. Yes it is expensive but being a big dude it is worth the money to board first, get off first, have plenty of room, not infringe on anyone due to my size. its worth the money to fly "hassle-free" for me

17. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, everyone has the opportunity to buy C+ (Comfort Plus) Medallions get it for free (at certain windows) domestically, and some get it free for international.

There may or may NOT be an option to pay to upgrade to first class. And it will change day to day. Based on that FCM algorithm (first class monetization). Just log in to your Trips to see if it is offered or not.

(as an aside - might only be an option if you have a skymiles account, yet another reason to just sign up. I don't know what is possible to see for non-members)

18. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This site has expert passengers from all over the world and you can access all the airline programs. I was an original member of the site and still go there to learn about changes in programs and get questions answered. Set it up for Delta.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.