1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Good downtown buffet?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by KevinF2020, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinF2020

KevinF2020 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there one?

Main Street Station (Garden Court) is meh in my opinion. Fremont (Paradise) buffet is also pretty sub par. I haven't eaten the Golden Nugget buffet, but haven't heard good things.

Am I missing one or am I wrong and just had bad experiences?

Advice, thoughts and suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

2. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly not really. They are serviceable but barely. Most strip buffets absolutely destroy the downtown buffets. I would prefer the lower tier strip buffets like The STRAT and Luxor to the Fremont. I actually like MSS for breakfast, but they've really fallen off as well. When you look at the gourmet offerings at Aria, Bellagio, Cosmo, Wynn, Mandalay, M Resort, Paris etc it's hard to compare. The one positive is the lower prices downtown, but for an even lower price point, the Stations Feast Buffets off strip are far better.

Nick:beer:

3. CYaInVegas

CYaInVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used to eat at buffets all the time. Not so much any more. They have become too expensive for whats offered IMHO. If you are looking for a LOT of food try Has House A Go Go at the Plaza. They literally have pancakes the size of a turkey platter. And its soooo good to boot. We always have a car and try off Strip places. Places where locals go. We found the Omlette House on Charleston to have the biggest omlettes we've ever seen. They are nearly the size of a shoe box. You have to be really looking for the place or you'll miss it. They have a big sign on Charleston to identify it. Well worth the trip if you have a car. Also DuPars in the Golden Gate downtown is a good breakfast place. Haven't left there hungry either.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess it depends on how you define good.

MSS is not a great buffet, but to me is still better than the lower end strip ones at a much lower price.

I don't know of any downtown buffets that compare with the high end strip ones. But I also have never liked the concept of a high end buffet.

5. KevinF2020

KevinF2020 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your suggestions and info Nick, CY and Nevyn. We certainly never expect Bacchanal or Wicked Spoon type buffets downtown, but something comparable to the Stations would be nice, but I haven't found one yet. We do have a car and if we're going budget buffet, won't eat the low end ones on the strip (like Luxor, Excal, Circus Circus, Monte Carlo), we'll just go off strip and eat at Palms, Red Rock, M or GVR instead. But I always like to take a trip downtown and it would be great if there was a good buffet there, but if there is, I haven't found it. The suggestions of Dupar's and Hash House A-go-go, are great though and that might be our best alternative.

Thanks all!

6. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did the Fremont buffet on Friday and really enjoyed it. For 21 dollars I walked away full and satisfied...Great service good food! Will be doing it again this Friday!

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You just mentioned the 3 Downtown Buffets. I don't think there's any more other than those 3. Are they good? Yes they are all good. Are they great? In my opinion, no.

MSS has been getting press like "The best Buffet" in Vegas or Downtown but I've seen it slip a little lately. Lots of different dishes and desserts. To me it has the best décor of the Downtown properties with high chandelier ceilings and bright, lively atmosphere. Very nice and clean.

Fremont is too dark for me. I like bright, airy places.

I've been to the Golden Nugget Buffet before the renovation. It didn't have as much variety as the other 2 but the offerings were good, fresh, and well presented although the buffet is small. From feedback from this board it seems like a solid Buffet.

MSS in my opinion would be the Buffet coming closest to the Station type Buffets.

8. glock77

glock77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought buffet was bad. Circus circus bad. Had to circle a number of times to try to find something to eat. Ate some salad and corn on the cob. Carving station meat needed Cain saw to cut.

9. Wanger1969

Wanger1969 Iowa Nice

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if you caught MSS on a bad day. I've never been disappointed in their buffet. I'm usually a breakfast buffet person and then a nice sit down plated meal for supper though. I don't have much evening buffet experience. I also thought Fremont was good. For the money, they are very worth it.

10. Dan_Tanna

Dan_Tanna Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had good experiences with the breakfast buffet at Golden Nugget.

11. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

MSS buffet for breakfast is always good. Lots of choices. Great price too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.