1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

No Vegas this year.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LolaDoggie, Jun 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am confident this won't be like the drought of 2007 to 2011. But, I won't be going to Vegas this year. I had hopes for an early October trip. But...my husband is going balls to the wall with reno's on the house and even with him doing all the work and being a good bargain hunter...it's still costing money. I thought I could still sneak in a solo trip as long as I did it mega low roller Sco-Dewey style. But...yeah....no.

Vegas is my unit of financial measurement. And I hate thinking about how much the work on the house is costing so I asked my husband to never tell me how much he's spent on the house. So, I asked my husband "how many Vegas-es have you spent on the house this year?" He said 2.5. I thought...OK. I'm still good. I can do this. I'll ask my Vegas Nerd Insane Low Roller Ninja Masters for help. Then, I started thinking about the standard financial lies my husband and I tell each other, including the formula I use to fund a trip to Vegas. That would put the renovation costs at 4 Vegas-es so far and there's still work to do. I went back to my husband and asked him if it was closer to 4 and he said yes and smiled. So, 2 things, A; he's on to me. And B; no Vegas for me this year.

Don't mourn for me. I'll live through you until the spring.

2. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are similar circumstances. We just signed the purchase agreement on a home closing in September. We have renos to be done before the snow flies as well. I am still hoping to sneak out for quick mid-spring long weekend but, unless these scratch and wins I keep buying with my dwindling change jar change come through, nothing for me in '15:(

The closing date also corresponds exactly to my tee time at Cabot Cliffs in Cape Breton. I had to make the call to my bro this AM begging off that trip too. I was really looking forward to four days of Cabot. Priorities, priorities......

3. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lola, get a Westjet Mastercard, charge everything to it and pay the balance every month. The points add up quickly and you get an annual companion flight for $99. My May flight and upcoming Sept flight were covered by Westjet points. Think of the points you could have racked up with the renos.

4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I brought up the Westjet Mastercard to my husband and he shot it down. I'll have to bring it up to him again.

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your unit of financial measurement gave me a smile. Hope you can get back there sooner than later!

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  6. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It really works great for travel as long as you don't carry a balance. I even use it for groceries and double dip getting my Westjet points and my PC grocery points.

7. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am 100% out for 2015, and possibly '16 as well :( I have my fingers crossed work put me on a load of Overtime and I can do early '16, otherwise it'll be a long wait until Superbowl 51 weekend for (hopefully) my stag party.

8. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Points to fly and comps certainly isn't my issue. I can get around the world a few times and get a room. Free time and what happens to my wallet after landing and when not in the room can be my biggest enemies:)

Looks like Windsor at Caesars for a night in July might the only time I earn TR points this year.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our primary Visa is the Alaska Airlines program. We put everything on it that we can. Terri's flying to Australia in f/c with points and we'll use the companion offering for our September trip to the PNW. An absolute no-brainer using some kind of reward card -- the rewards of which work for one's needs -- for those who can and will pay it off monthly.

And don't you just love that WestJet inflight?!? lol

10. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm at Caesars Windsor right now for a quick weekend. It's no Vegas. AC isn't Vegas either. I'm comped in Windsor and there are free junkets to AC. I'd rather save my gambling dollars for Vegas.

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully we can sneak in a few nights in Niagara Falls and I've got a weekend retreat in October I'm going to and my husband has a bike trip he wants to take.

12. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being in Burlington, I guess Fallsview is home ice for us. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, the new house I referenced above is in .......Niagara on the Lake! It is a large place on one of the vineyards and we may be considering as part of our renos turning part of it into a BnB or self catering home. Stay tuned!

13. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Renovations have a life of their own don't they? I'm nearing the end of one. I had a renter who stiffed me for over $20K, had to evict him, did $15K worth of damage and destroyed a backhoe on the way out. Court said I could do nothing to him because he was poor. Cops told me it was against the law to shoot him. Stupid laws.

I am $40K plus into the renovation, the house will be beautiful. I gutted it. New kitchen is coming 7/6. I had the oak hardwood floors refinished that the previous owner used for a cat box. They look fantastic! New renters won't pay anywhere near what they should but they are solid, older folks who may want to buy the place. I've increased the property value significantly.

Bottom line: would your rather give your money to the thieves in Vegas in return for a few days of fun or plunk it down for an investment?

I still make Vegas trips as I get there on business six to eight times a year but I've cut way back.

By the way I've saved probably $20K on labor on the renovation by doing most of the work myself, just have the tile floors to lay down. Did drywall, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, laminate floors and painting. House built in 1910 and many screwy things about it. Kitchen too big to take on so I'm having that put in.

Once I get some cash flow and the kitchen paid off I may consider feeling better about having more fun in Vegas. Lola, your not alone. Don't feel bad. There are many who only get to Vegas every couple years or those who have a modest budget when they do. We look forward to your visit whenever you do get the chance!

Best of luck on the renovations!

14. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 Too much work...need more play.

Trips to Las Vegas:

15. breanna61

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always do a weekend and winery tour in NOTL every spring; love the area.

16. gmille58

gmille58 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a drought from our honeymoon in 98 until 2012. In that drought, we had two cross country moves, two kids, two houses. Now we go once or twice a year. Looking forward to our trip next weekend for fight week. Only big problem is with the kids and their activities, July is about the only month that is wide open. Usually it ends up whatever time we choose ends up being the hottest week of the year.

17. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm one who pays my cc balance every month and mine offers 2-5% cashback. What I usually do is just put it back on the card for future payments. I may start having them send the check to me to put toward travel.

18. LV_Bound

LV_Bound Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife wants to reno the bathroom as the toilet doesn't work.
    Since doing so will affect our vegas trip I told her to poop in a can. :evillaugh

19. BlackJackLady

BlackJackLady High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't think we were going to be able to make it to Vegas this year either after paying for my daughters wedding in April. Even doing everything ourselves it was about equal of our "vacation" funds for a year. Then I had a long lost relative, whom I never met, pass away with out a will, Well 2 years later and here's a big fat check in the mail. It wasn't a fortune but I paid off several bills and filled our vacation account right back up.

20. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So.....my husband is almost done the garage. It looks like he's on track to finish up the stuff he wanted to do before the weather turns. It was a nice feeling.

It didn't last.

So now....apparently we're renovating the kitchen and bathroom (that weren't on the list for this year) right now. Like right now. I'm being dragged to Ikea in about an hour. I'm going to eat a can of beans before we leave so I fart up the car really good.

Yeah...um...I love my husband. But, he's an impulsive Adult ADD lunatic.

So anyhow...I don't care how much this costs. I'm going to Vegas next spring. I don't care if I have to sell a kidney.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.