1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TR Mirage June 12-16

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by mesa, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesa

mesa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Mirage June 12th-16

Headed out Sunday and arrived at 10:30am. Got checked in immediately to our Tower Deluxe with view of strip and pool, Sweet. Called for a fridge in room and unloaded bar. Dim Sum at Noodle kitchen and off to get the lay of the land. Wife hits a couple of slots for $160 and $110, nice start. Went to AVA for a few drinks and service was very disappointing, waved down cocktail waitress and she just blew us off. Dinner at Carnegie Deli, man that pastrami is a big sandwich. Wife had the roast beef sandwich and the hottest horseradish in the world. Off to the Wynn to check it out; very nice but I guess nothing will live up to that hype. Will have to stay there to be a fair judge.

Mon. 13th - Ordered up some mimosas and fruit plate from room service, nice way start to morning. My eyeglasses broke so off to Fashion show mall to get repair. After a little shopping back to catch some pool time. Got lucky when two ladies are leaving and give us their chairs. The pool was packed and in fact the entire strip was extremely crowded at all times of day and evening. After a few pina coladas, off to Mesa Grill for lunch. Wife had the tuna tartar and I had the pork sandwich, the service was quick and food was very good. Fooled around some more and off to Isla for dinner, wife had 3 tostados (crab, shrimp and fish), very good and would definitely go back again. Cruised to Harrah’s and caught the dueling pianos, the two guys were just ripping the place up so we ended up there for a few hours enjoying the show. Finished up back at the Mirage.

Tue 14th - Got up somewhat early and headed over to the Paris buffet and stuff ourselves. Always a very good breakfast. Headed back to the Mirage pool to chill for a while since we had tickets to Ka that night. Went down to Commander Palace and found out we were to early for dinner (wanted to try this place out). Ended up at Wolfgang pucks grill at MGM.. MGM is just to big to enjoy. Anyway Ka was great, those guys that run on the big hoops had us flipping out. Where do they come up with this stuff? Sat in Sec 203 row ff not bad seats. Took a crazy cab drive back to Mirage, played $20 on a slot and hit it for 245.00. It paid for my Ka tickets and then some.

Wed.15th - Got two comps for buffet @ Cravings, I know some do not care for it but we seem to enjoy it for a buffet. We were first on list for a cabana but we didn’t get one. Was somewhat bummed since it looked like a few were not being used. Oh well down to pool for some R&R. Tough time finding seats again but finally did. After a few hours packed up and headed over to Tussauds wax museum, we had a coupon so what the heck. Pretty cool, although some looked way better than others. Had a monster/horror exhibit where you cruised through and they tried to scare you. Not to scary but fun none the less.
    Went over to Kahunaville for appetizer and drinks, crab dip was ok but frozen drinks tasted lousy (had coupon) back to room for a little shuteye. Got up and called Kokomos for dinner reservations and got in at 7pm. Very good service and food was excellent, wife had oysters on the half shell and a seafood salad. I being in the mood for steak had the Kansas steak and rock shrimp, tasty and big. Had never tried Kokomos before but will definitely go back. After the big dinner we walked down to Bellagio for the fountains, ran in to some colorful people on the way. Had some guy at the fountains proceed to start talking politics had to shake my head and told him we were there to enjoy ourselves not talk politics. Anyways we headed to Harrah’s to check out the piano bar again, the twins Kimberly and Tamara Pinegar were playing. Listened for a few but thought the guys the night before were better although not as easy on the eyes. Headed back to Mirage and wife hits for $125 on slots so we called it a night.

Conclusion; Good trip with lots of entertainment and good food
    Very crowded for middle of week
    Received comp buffet and some monies knocked off of bill always a plus.
    Wynn looks great but not sure if it is worth he money, will wait for price to drop before I go.
    Mirage doors were quite noisy when shutting, slamming and making quite the racket

2. JohhhnnyCash

JohhhnnyCash Guest

" Got checked in immediately to our Tower Deluxe with view of strip and pool, Sweet. Called for a fridge in room and unloaded bar. "

~ How much did they charge you for the fridge per day?

~ What do you mean by unloaded bar? Does the fridge you rent per day come stocked?

3. mesa

mesa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ~ How much did they charge you for the fridge per day?
    Nothing says in there guest services they will supply one.

~ What do you mean by unloaded bar? Does the fridge you rent per day come stocked?

I meant we unloaded our cooler to the fridge. We drive in and bring our own.

4. JohhhnnyCash

JohhhnnyCash Guest

Thanks Mesa, greatly appreciated

5. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good trip report, Mesa! What did you think of the dim sum at Noodle Kitchen? I'm interested because I'll be at the Mirage next week.

6. mesa

mesa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Larryg,we really enjoyed the Dim Sum.We tried it on our Dec. trip and thought enough of it to go back. Have fun

JohhhnnyCash are you ever going to get there :D
    We are just now getting out of our depression of being back to reality.

7. LVLady

LVLady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mesa, great report!! Did you reserve the tower deluxe?? Or did you upgrade?? I am hoping to get one next week! Those rooms are fantastic.

Larry we will be at Mirage next week also. Can't wait. Did I read on another thread you have eaten at Okada?? Is the sushi very expensive or average. Truth be told I only like the tuna!! We have gone to Little Buddha the last two times we were in town and I was considering trying Sushi Roku, but haven't read anything about it.

8. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LVLady, you're right about my comments on Okada at The Wynn. It's an excellent sushi bar (subject to my caveat about ordering), and is a trifle less expensive than its competitors Hyakumi (Caesars Palace) and Shintaro (Bellagio). However, that still means it's pretty expensive. A full evening of sushi will cost at least $50, and can run quite a bit more.

Since you're interested in tuna, there's one thing worth mentioning. Most tuna is maguro - standard red tuna. There's a higher grade called toro, which can be frightfully expensive. At Hyakumi and Shintaro, it was about $25 per piece ($50 for a pair). At Okada, it was a very reasonable $8 ($16/pair). I'm not sure if this will remain the price, as there was a lot of confusion about toro's price when I went on opening night. It's also worth noting that some sushi bars incorrectly label their regular tuna as toro.

With respect to Sushi Roku, I'm in the same boat as you. It sounds interesting, but I haven't seen any reviews. Sounds interesting, though (e.g., smoked salmon-wrapped monkfish liver topped with toro tartar, Santa Barbara sea urchin and caviar).

9. mesa

mesa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LVLady, I emailed the players club and asked if they had any rates going on for those days, they replied $99 for a standard room. I emailed back make it a TD and I will book now and they did.

10. LVLady

LVLady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mesa good deal. We are in on the summer special for $95 a night, I may email the slot club, but I doubt they will do anything.

Larry, we may try Okada, if not definately Sushi Roku. I will give you my friends opinions when we return, since they are much more familiar with sushi and introduced me to it. If you haven't tried Little Buddha, give it a try. We really liked it. The Sushi Chef (say that after a few drinks LOL) was fantastic and gave me some little samples of different tuna when I told him it was my first Sushi experience. He also send some Wakemi (sp?) my way which I loved. I can not eat rolls, something about the wrapping I just can't get past!! Enjoy your trip next week! Look forward to reading your restaurant reviews!

11. mesa

mesa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just smile and ask very nicley and you might be pleaslantly suprised

12. LVLady

LVLady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That and tell them we are celebrating my Husband's and my birthday this month!! You never know it might help and it is the truth!! Today is DH's birthday, we just couldn't get away this week...I am thinking a $50 might also help! We shall see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.