1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

That one golf getaway spot ...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You get one golf getaway locale to choose from, and you have to go there every year for your junket, on your own dime. Where and why?

2. smallz79

smallz79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I kinda like and would pick Rancho Bernardo Inn in California because its a challenging course but not to tough either

3. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would go with staying in Whister, BC. My first choice to golf would be at Big Sky in Pemberton. The course has a spectacular mountain backdrop. To change things up during my stay, I'd also get in rounds at the Fairmont course.and Nickalaus North. Whistler has a ton of activities to mix things up. In addition, the restaurant choices are excellent. A bonus for all you Americans is that your dollar goes further!

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas.

Hotels are reasonable cost, great restaurants, lots of things to keep my wife busy while I golf, lots of great courses, miniscule chance of rain. Besides, we go to Vegas every year anyways and on our own dime.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mean this Big Sky? Love it!

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg IMG_0758.jpg

6. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And a good call on Whistler. I was there 4-5 years ago then again last year; Terri's first time. Early fall, no people. That Four Seasons is right up there with Hualalai. Met some of the locals at Fairmont Whistler:

IMG_0388.jpg

8. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sand Creek Station http://www.sandcreekgolfclub.com/
    Newton, Kansas

On my dime:
    I'm not traveling for big $$ every year just for a high class golf course.
    Sand Creek is only a 40 min drive from the house.
    I really like the layout of the course and it is always in great shape.
    Carts have GPS which helps speed up play for others when you can see the group ahead is out of range. (especially blind shots)
    And a stop in at local golf shop can get you a discount card to play on a Mon-Tues... 18 w/cart for just $20-25 (Thats a steal)

9. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol.....I've seen the same locals at Whistler Golf course.
    Never.....look too hard for a ball in the woods!

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And the elk we saw at Jasper ... wow.

11. radvegas

radvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pinehurst no.2. Get to to play a mix of the other courses during the trip too.
    In fact the majority of the courses in the States. Not necessarily because of the quality of courses, but because of the friendlier attitude that I have encountered there from everyone working at each golf club. I don't know if any americans have encountered issues playing golf in uk/europe but we have a terrible habit of taking the green fees, rushing people around and getting them out of the door.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without hesitation I'd say Bend/central Oregon, and after Labor Day as for when. The weather is prime, outstanding top-end golf and gobs of other good plays. Good beer. Tons of outdoor stuff to do other than golf. Did I mention the awesome weather? A baker's dozen or so breweries. The food scene keeps getting better and better. Nice people. Scenery is most bueno. EZ access via our friends at Alaska Air. Indian summer if I didn't mention the weather. Crowds are down. Endless housing options. Good beer. Good golf. Great golf. Great beer. Weather rocks. Etc.

13. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pebble Beach, in September or October, please. The overall mystique of the area is unparalleled in a domestic golf destination, plus you have easy access to Spyglass, Spanish Bay, and Poppy while you are there. A multi day stay at the Lodge allows you to just wallow in the "golfiness" of it all. A round at Pebble itself with my now deceased Uncle in 2000 just after the Open is easily the best golf memory of my life. I played terribly, shooting 93 when I was an 8 or 9 handicap at the time-but got up and down from the bunker to par #18 in front of the usual gaggle of spectators. The only real drawback is cost, which is considerable by any standard but fair considering the product.

I have heard nothing but superlatives about Bandon Dunes as a golf destination but I have never been so I can't really comment. I've done St Andrews and somehow it doesn't quite do it for me like Pebble does.

14. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is an interesting point. In Ireland I was welcomed warmly at a large variety of golf courses. In Scotland, it seemed like the golf community thought they were doing you a favor by letting you play there. In Spain and France they just seemed completely indifferent and didn't care whether you were there or not. Strange, since the courses were basically empty. Ironically, I had the only hole in one of my life in France at a golf course without a proper bar.

I have never played in England but have heard mixed reviews from experienced golfers in terms of the treatment there. I played in Argentina at a nondescript course and as a foreigner who spoke Spanish and played golf well I was practically revered as a celebrity.

Another interesting observation, in many countries "private" clubs are willing to take a green fee off of any visitors who are willing to plan ahead and request access to the course, certify their handicap, etc. In the US, this just doesn't happen unless you have some sort of reciprocal arrangement through your own club.

15. IowaRyan

IowaRyan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Great food, tons of good affordable golf, friendly people and lots of other activities when you don't want to golf.

16. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One advantage to getting older and less flexible (read index going up) is I have more disposable income so we have been able to do those junkets yearly as you described Ken.
    Meeting my brother and his bud and his wine stash along with my son going on 15 years next month to Bandon and yearly spring and/or fall to Hualalai and one other rotating Hawaii venue.
    Vegas doesn't count since it's a bi-monthly to quarterly get away.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So many great places, so many reasons why certain things resonate with each of us.

M, last night I put together my list of islands' courses for an upcoming article. Hawaii obviously has good golf but, man, it's the aesthetics of the place that really does it for me. Whether surviving the gnarl of Royal Hawaiian or going Bubba on Plantation 18 or those over-water gems at ML and MK or the Sherwin-Williams blast of color on Lagoons' siggy ... just good stuff.

I have some huge holes on my golf resume. Scotland (missed out on two weeks including a pro-am and Open access because of a family wedding), Bandon (that is changing this fall), the SE Atlantic. I'm so lucky to have played where I've played, joyous to be thinking about what is still out there, the bases to be tagged.

I like Vegas golf ... quite obviously. lol But when it's time for sun and spines ... Arizona, baby.

18. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I LOVE the Fairmont Princess in Scottsdale. It could be my fav hotel. I have never had better service at a hotel. It seemed all the staff would go out of their way to ensure that we had a great stay.

19. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well being that my friends basically do this, I am going to say Niagara Golf Trail.

Why? Two hour drive away, lots of options for renting houses, nightlife options, and pretty good courses.

I'd much rather mix it up more often, but if its going to be every year and on my dime, its got to be something driveable I can enjoy every year.

20. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Played there last March, and it was pretty spectacular. It is funny, on the front it is like a immersion into rainforest, and then on the back, it is like a trick of perspective. You get caught up playing shots and it feels just like a normal course, then you take a step back to the wide angle lens for a second while a playing partner shoots, and wow.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.