1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Healthy-ish eating

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by tmoney25, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, since my last trip to Vegas I was diagnosed with diabetes... probably all those mile long margaritas weren't the best for me?

So this time around I'm trying to plan to eat a bit healthier than I normally would. I can usually find something on menus that I can work with. What I want to do is find somewhere that I can buy a veggie cup or a small/mini veggie platter that I can take with me to my conference sessions. Fortunately for me I don't need to take insulin, I control it all with pills, diet and exercise. Well, one thing that works really well for me is eating raw veggies, so I'm hoping to find somewhere that sells them to go.

Has anybody else discovered where I can get them? I'm staying at NYNY and their room service ammenities lists fruits and fruits are good, but with all the high carbs I'll be consuming the natural sugars in the fruits just add to my carb count.

I'm not expecting to have the healthiest diet while I'm in Vegas, and I expect my sugars to be higher than normal, but I want to do what I can so I won't be way too high.

2. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't help you with the veggie options, but if you are looking for a fine dining spot I have always felt Estiatorio Milos at Cosmo does a great job offering very healthy cuisine (mostly seafood) in that category.

You may laugh but buffets alway have raw veggies--and I think either NYNY or Monte Carlo offers a "to go" box at a fixed price that you could load up with raw vegetables to take away. I have never been to either but I bet some of our other board members could chime in.

3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know nobody agrees with me but, I think buffets are the best option if you're following any kind of diet. I feel I have more control at a buffet. I can take a small amount of things I shouldn't be eating as much of. More of the things I should be. Avoiding things I shouldn't be eating. Etc.

A lot of people in here equate buffets with being a cheap pig and I just don't agree with that. I am cheap and I can be a pig. But, I think my opinions on buffets in Vegas are valid.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buffet gives you a chance to be more selective, and if you are dealing with raw or at least minimally processed inputs you avoid a lot of the unknown that comes from how someone else is handling/treating/cooking your food, and particularly when it is cooked en masse and presented en masse as in a buffet. Sounds to me, however, that you are essentially looking for a snack, a crudite plate. Maybe hit a market and put in some things you like and that you can take with you.

5. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There were some pre-packaged salads & veggies at a drug store in the Miracle Mile shops at PH. Have also seen them at little gift shops inside hotels...(can't remember which ones) that sell cold soft drinks etc. My hubby is also diabetic (pills only for now) and we do the buffet of buffets once each trip so he can get his fill of fresh salads & veggies. Good luck!!

6. kwwood

kwwood Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a type 1 diabetic watching what I eat isn't as important as someone who is type 2 (which I assume you are)
    I agree with the buffet option.
    You can get what you want.
    Meat, seafood and sides that may be less carbo loaded than places with a la carte stuff.
    Pick your carbs wisely.

7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that buffets can be an option if you are good at portion control and eating healthy. The problem is that there are too many types of food there that can get you off your diet. For me it isn't worth paying for a buffet if I'm going to try to eat "healthy". But that's JMHO. I usually rent a car and I can drive elsewhere to other restaurants that offer healthy items for less of a price.

I am also diabetic, tmoney, are you overweight? I have friends who lost a lot of weight because of diabetes and now they don't need to take any pills, just do it with diet and exercise. As for me, nah, too lazy to lose all the weight although I do exercise and do cardio 3x a week, golf (walking the course) another day and bowling another in addition to walking for an hour another day.

It's not that you have to suffer being on a diet in vegas, you just have to eat the right things and practice portion control. It isn't a death sentence, it is just a warning that you have to watch what you eat to keep your numbers down. I try to stay away from the carbs but I do eat meat (love the prime rib at the Cal market st. café, I eat a lot of veggies at the salad bar and the prime rib but skip the potato if I can).

hmmm, without a car I'm not sure what is close to NYNY where you can pick up healthy food but you can still go to restaurants but just skip (or limit) the carbs and fat and sugary stuff. Some restaurants will let you order and take out salad plates (but I'm not sure what is near the NYNY area for that).

8. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're out and about...... I like Town Square for shopping and there is a Whole Foods there.

9. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is what I was going to say.....

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry above post, THIS is what I was going to say...

10. tom.mckenzie

tom.mckenzie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had to learn to eat healthier since I had a stroke a couple of years back. I will also eat at buffets so that I can load up on salads and veggies, and eat a small piece of fish or something. I think most of the Walgreens and ABC stores have veggie cups. And Whole Foods at Town Square would be a great option.

11. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In terms of restaurants, Sensi at Bellagio always struck me as being geared towards people trying to eat healthier. Other than the sides, most of the dishes are meats/seafood/vegetables, not much in the way of carbs and such.

12. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also pills only. I can almost do whatever I want as long as I get a lot of fibre throughout the day. I'm very fortunate. I'll checkout the Miracle Mile drugstore. Thanks.

Also never even thought of buffets. I have horrible portion control so I normally try to stay away. Maybe I'll rethink that for this trip.

13. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I'm type 2. Bad genes. Have 11 cousins and an aunt with it. A couple of uncles were warned to watch their sugar intake too. Of course I never learned about this until after I was diagnosed... not like it would have made a difference. You always feel like something won't happen to you until it does.

Lots of suggestions for buffet, I'll teach myself portion control before I go and try the buffets.

14. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Somewhat overweight. Not too bad, mostly just a beer belly. I'm fairly active, I play a lot of hockey and skateboard and bike with the kids. I used to be quite sedentary, drank lots of sugary drinks, ate lots of pasta and wheats, and had zero portion control. Still worked out but not enough to help counteract my poor dietary habits. I turned things around a bit but it was too late and I was diagnosed. Now I'm a lot better with fitness AMD dietary control but got off the rails over the last year with a back, knee, and groin injuries. Sports hurt a bit. Lol.

15. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I looked at CVS and Walgreens online but they didn't list anything. I figured I would have to go check it out but was hoping somebody may have seen or bought these from those places. I forgot about ABC.

16. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't been to NYNY for some time so I have forgotten what restaurants are there. If you entered any coffee shop or small restaurant and told the greeter that you needed to do take out and what exactly you wanted in the box, I am sure you will get your veggies.

17. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The CVS and Walgreens locations always seem to have had some pre-packaged food and veggies. There is no harm popping into the nearest one to check it out before making the trek to Whole Foods.

18. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Believe it or not, Walgreens.

19. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let the MGM know that you need a mini fridge for medical reasons. If you had a car, you could stock up at a grocery store.

20. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If a buffet is an option for multiple meals, the OP can probably afford a cab to a grocery store both ways. Maybe a bus is better on the return trip, How easy is it to get a cab from a grocery?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.